JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Summer Breeze - The Urakan and Yorodi of Sybarite
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Summer Breeze - The Urakan and Yorodi of Sybarite
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:41 pm  
    Summer Breeze - The Urakan and Yorodi of Sybarite

Wicked, wicked post! Happy This is so cool on so many levels. I like the exposition, I like the "summer breeze" riff, but I particularly like the way you've worked with canon, fanon and obscure Greyhawkania to pull it all together. Outstanding read and a great job! Happy

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:49 pm  

WOW! I love to read review like that Wink I hope it is helpful for the OJ beyond projects.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 pm  

I saw Yorodi and Sybarite in the title and thought "What is Wolfsire up to?" Seals and Crofts, Keats and Jethro Tull. You are a sick, sick man. This is an incredible composition. The way you pull all these disparate elements into something new is just masterful. Really well done.
    The mention of Chalchiuhtlicue as a Rainbow goddess reminded me of the Mary Vale article and the discussion of a voodoo pantheon in the Hold. I don't know if it was your intention to make a connection, but Aida-Wedo, the Rainbow Serpent is a fertility and water goddess in Vodou. The slave pantheon article is still something that needs to see the light of day, if we ever make it back from beyond the Flanaess.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:42 pm  

I thought the same thing as Smillan. The title grabbed my eye for obvious reasons, clever. All in all a great piece Wolfsire and with footnotes! Keep up the good work!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:51 pm  

Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing it.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 am  

I'm not sure if I should be honored or not at being given a "credit" in an article that fully embraces the hepmonaland homeland theory, the Isle of Dread Olman garbage, and forcefitting the Olman into random elements of flanaess canon; things I've been loudly critical of for ages. Confused
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:15 am  

chibirias wrote:
    I'm not sure if I should be honored or not at being given a "credit" in an article that fully embraces the hepmonaland homeland theory, the Isle of Dread Olman garbage, and forcefitting the Olman into random elements of flanaess canon; things I've been loudly critical of for ages. Confused

Be honored because you were inspirational. Happy

I don't agree with everything in the article but I appreciate it as a really nice piece of work all the same.

Just a suggestion. Smile

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:23 am  

chibirias wrote:

As you like. It is as GVD indicated, you have been inspirational. If you want, I will reqest a modification to the article to add your criticism or remove the reference to you.

A couple of notes. The hepmonaland homeland theory is not fully embraced, but accepted with the notion of proto-Olman. IMO, the Olman are not "forcefitted" and the elements are not "random". YMMV. Sorry if you did not enjoy it. I hope there was part of it that you did. Happy

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:33 am  

The following is a quote from the article -

"Born of the Yorodhi (FN12), the earliest of the Oeridians, in the land of Ull, where he was first tutored in battle magic, he was also trained in the mystic arts by the Suel. He and many other Yorodhi were members of the Rhollan House of Immris that settled in the southern foothills of the Lortmils before the founding of the Kingdom of Keoland (FN13)"

At first blush it seems contradictory to say, certainly at least at this early point in history IMO, that the Yorodhi (Oeridians) were "members" of a Rhollan House (Suel). Footnote 13, however, cites to Fate of Istus. Is there a specific reference to Oeridians being incorporated into Suel houses there?

What is the thought otherwise?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:07 pm  

I doubt it applies to other suel houses, and it has been discussed in the forums before. FOI is somewhat the oddball out. But I like it. From page 25:

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:58 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    I doubt it applies to other suel houses, and it has been discussed in the forums before. FOI is somewhat the oddball out. But I like it. From page 25:

Well, that would explain that. I agree; it is interesting. Thank you!

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:29 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    I don't agree with everything in the article

Care to share? Wink

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:36 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    I doubt it applies to other suel houses, and it has been discussed in the forums before. FOI is somewhat the oddball out. But I like it.

When I first wrote my Geopolitical History of the Sheldomar, FoI was the most detailed source for the history of the region. I relied on it heavily. It was largely ignored by later developments, both official and fan. Even in current versions of my history, I try to maintain it as much as possible. Some quotes from roughly the version that appears in OJ16...

The Development of Petty States
    The settled states earned the continuing goodwill of their peoples, and so grew slowly from within. More rapid expansion occurred when nearby Flan communities, seeing how well their subject kinsmen were defended and treated, asked to join these small nations (8). Each Flan tribe that swore allegiance to a Suel Lord expanded the domain of these strong but peaceful states. The rule of the Suel lordlings spread out from three centers of settlement: in the plains of the upper Sheldomar, at the mouth of the lower Sheldomar, and at the confluence of the Sheldomar and Kewl. The cultural impact of the Suel spread more rapidly than their rule, out among the Flan of the forests that bordered the rivers.

When hostile nomad groups were defeated, they were often allowed to pledge loyalty to a Suel ruler and join a state. Since the raiders were little more than roving warbands, they were easily incorporated into the standing military. Thus, the numerous petty states assumed similar multiracial compositions - a Suel kinglet ruler and high officials; Oeridian and Suloise horsemen as elite (mounted) troops and minor nobility; Flan and Oeridian tribesmen as common soldiers; Suloise, Oeridian, and Flan common farmers and herders; and neighboring affiliated demi-human communities (31).

31) For one example, consider the nation of Jurnre. "Immris and his people entered into alliance with the local halflings and gnomes, and with them founded a citadel on what they dubbed the Hill of Stars above the banks of the Kewl River. Many of Immris's troops and servants were Oeridian, and they were joined by Oeridian and Flan tribes who were attracted to his relatively peaceful and stable realm. In time the new society was augmented by a steady stream of refugee Suelites [sic] who had repented of war. Immris's expert leadership and the shared dangers of those times welded these diverse peoples into a city and nation they called Jurnre." FoI, p.25

"According to ancient practice, the members of the city guard wear face paint and tartan kilts indicating their rank and ward - apparently an echo of the time when ordinary troops were largely Flan and Oeridian tribesmen." FoI, p.27

Junre served as an early shining example of racial tolerance and harmony, and set the tone for developments in the rest of the future Keoland. Even today the people of Jurnre are the most “mixed” and the least “Suel”, including the rulers. Presumably, this is why the city has earned the particular hatred of the Scarlet Brotherhood. “Plotting the destruction of the heretical city of Junre is a secondary priority for the area.” SB, p.23.

Where did Immris get Oeridian servants and troops if he had just left the old Suloise empire and the Oerid were not yet in the Sheldomar? I would assume that they were members of his household before he left. As the Suel in general employed mercenaries (10), and as the Oerid were displaced long before the Rhola migrated (17a), the good houses may have already had some Oeridian dependents before their migrations.

Consider also, “The Suel Imperium was governed by contesting noble houses, and the fleeing bands that entered the Flanaess were often lead by nobles with their families and many retainers.” LGG p.? (Ch. 2 Suloise).
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    It is as GVD indicated, you have been inspirational. If you want, I will reqest a modification to the article to add your criticism or remove the reference to you.

No need for that. I'm glad people find my blog and posts useful. I'm just overly critical of Olman writings that stray too far from the Tamoachan Mesoamerican model.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: