JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Abodes of Tenser and Mordenkainen
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Abodes of Tenser and Mordenkainen
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:55 am  
    Abodes of Tenser and Mordenkainen

Does anyone know if there are any published works detailing Tenser's Castle or Mordenkainen's Citadel?

Thanks,
    Telemachus
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:11 am  

Return of the Eight details parts of Tenser's castle. The castle has been partially shut down, so it will be different from when Tenser was/is walking around in it. Also, there are some elements having to do with a drill into the depths of Oerth used to extract Oerthblood that are not detailed.

Don
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:15 am  

The TSR adventure Return of the Eight, #9576 edited by Roger Moore, provides a detailed description of Tenser's tower, inclduing rooms, occupants, history, etc. It also gives a brief description of the nearby village of Magepoint, and also how difficult simply approaching Tenser's tower can be.

It's set just after Rary & Robilar's rebellion and subsequent flight to the Bright Desert, in 584CY.
    Novice

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 am  

I believe that Isle of the Ape has some info on Tenser's castle also the Gord the Rogue Books give some descriptive information on both if I remember correctly.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 am  

There's also a little info concerning Tenser's castle, the town of Magepoint, and various related personages in the Age of Worms adventure path and its related articles in Dragon magazine. Keep in mind these articles and adventures were written for "Paizohawk", and so Tenser's name has been changed to "Manzorian" therein.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:57 am  

The recently released LG Core Special module Whispers of the Obsidian Citadel has some details of Mordenkainen's home in 598CY. Would obviously have to be ordered through the RPGA though.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:37 pm  

In regards to Mordenkainen's Citadel I can offer these tidbits of information.

According to Living Greyhawk Journal #0, page 5

Quote:
    They called themselves the Citadel of Eight, taking the name from Mordenkainen's renowned Obsidian Citadel, in the Yatil Mountains.

Oerth Journal #12 had an article entitled "Thus Spake Gary Gygax: Ye Secrets of Oerth Revealed" The author Paul J. Stormberg states that he exchanged an assortment of interview questions with Gary Gygax via emails. On page 8, the following question was asked and responded to by Mr. Gygax:

Quote:
    Q: In an early Dragon magazine you mention that Mordenkainen lead his cavalry forces to the Far West to succor a friend in need. Who was this friend and what was the result? (Obviously, Mordenkainen ultimately settled in the West, building his Obsidian Citadel in the Yatils.)

A: It was to assist Robilar who was being assailed by LG forces. The lads drove them off handily with minimal losses. Actually, Mordie’s place was not in the Yatils, by the way, but rather close to the Horned Society lands.

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm  

I'm not sure if this info was published, but this was how Gary described the Citadel to me:
    The Obsidian Citadel
    The Citadel of the Eight is a massive fortress. The central structure of the complex is a great citadel and hall. Eight tower keeps arranged in an octagonal pattern surround the central citadel. These structures are connected by curtain walls and lesser towers. This complex is surrounded by an outer wall, also built in an octagonal form. Reports that the Obsidian Citadel is located somewhere in the Yatil Mountains appear to be greatly exaggerated. It may or may not be found there. The actual whereabouts of the fortress is unknown, but some believe it is in the rocky hills that are covered by the Vesve Forest...
    (In another conversation, Gary told me that Robilar's stronghold was close to the HS, but his home campaign map was different than the published map, and I wasn't always sure which version we were talking about)

All of the info I have on the original Co8 is here:
    http://doomsdaygames.proboards3.com/index.cgi?board=generalgreyhawk&action=display&thread=168

Scott

Last edited by ScottG on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm  
    Two Best Sources

bubbagump wrote:
    There's also a little info concerning Tenser's castle, the town of Magepoint, and various related personages in the Age of Worms adventure path ... these articles and adventures were written for "Paizohawk", and so Tenser's name has been changed to "Manzorian" therein.

Specifically, this is information about Tenser's/Manzorian's town of Magepoint is in Dungeon 130. I think that issue of Dungeon and Return of the Eight are the best places to get a feel for Tenser's abode.

I've never seen or heard of anything detailing the Obsidian Citadel. Living Greyhawk's CORS8-01 Whispers of the Obsidian Citadel might have something. I only played that adventure - have no idea what the adventure text says.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    GreySage

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 pm  
    Re: Two Best Sources

There's some info on the Obsidian Citadel in City of Greyhawk, as part of Mordenkainen's description. Not a lot, but some.
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 01, 2008 12:59 am  

Flint wrote:
    The recently released LG Core Special module Whispers of the Obsidian Citadel has some details of Mordenkainen's home in 598CY. Would obviously have to be ordered through the RPGA though.

Is it possible to get hold of these modules if you do not intend to host a game though? There must be a shed load of Greyhawk info sitting in these mods that may go the way of all flesh once the RPGA licence gives way to 4e. That would be a terrible waste.

Re: Tenser - There was also an article on Magepoint on Wotc LG section a while back.
    CF Admin

Thu May 01, 2008 7:11 am  
    Short LG Article

PaulN6 wrote:
    Re: Tenser - There was also an article on Magepoint on Wotc LG section a while back.

I'd forgotten about that Mysterious Places article from 2006 called, Tenser and the Fortress of unknown Depths. It is short, and like most Living Greyhawk articles, it is more of an introductory for campaign members unfamiliar with Tenser and Magepoint. It does give a little bit of information about Tenser's recent goals (as of 596 CY).

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20061017
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 01, 2008 9:29 am  

I have made a homemade map of Magepoint. It is still under development, but if anyone is interested, just write me a PM :-)
    CF Admin

Fri May 02, 2008 7:23 pm  

Greyson wrote:
    I've never seen or heard of anything detailing the Obsidian Citadel. Living Greyhawk's CORS8-01 Whispers of the Obsidian Citadel might have something. I only played that adventure - have no idea what the adventure text says.

Sounds interesting, Don: what were the adventures about?

Also: in addition to the details EGG reveals on Tenser's keep in WG6, some additional info appears in the Gord novel Artifact of Evil:

Jason Zavoda's index wrote:
    Tenser [M14][M19][M20][NPC]
    AOE - 210,211,214-219,221-223

Mon May 05, 2008 8:17 am  

grodog wrote:

its the first part of the Living Greyhawk finale, it dealt with in part potentially undoing the flight of Fiends from a pervious series of modules by Dave Christ.

Mike
    CF Admin

Mon May 05, 2008 10:53 am  
    It's Okay

grodog wrote:

I don't wanna give away too many details for fear of spoiling the adventure, of course. Here is the adventure abstract from CORS8-01 Whispers of the Obsidian Citadel:

"People, objects, and even places seem to be shifting in and out of existence in the Yatils west of the great city of Mitrik. Chaos seems to be unraveling existence itself and it’s spreading. Seers speak of the ‘Door to Perdition’ but even the gods themselves seem to be silent on exactly what is happening. Great things are afoot and while nations focus their attention on each other it is up to heroes to find out what is going on before it’s too late and all of Oerth burns in the fires perdition forever."

In summary, the Flight of Fiends was an imperfect procedure. There are some side effects associated with its occurrence. The PCs learn about these side effects, and eventually enter the Obsidian Citadel to deal with the problem. As noted above, there is an option to undo the Flight of Fiends, among others.

I understand the author's goal with the adventure, but that it was a missed opportunity. Great idea, just not executed well. There is, of course, a thread discussing aspects of the adventure at the RPGA's Living Greyhawk boards HERE. I thought the adventure was okay.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 08, 2008 10:09 am  

You have to undo the Flight of Fiends to save the world? Sounds like a no win scenario.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 08, 2008 11:25 am  

I appreciate all of the feedback. The Obsidian Citadel I knew would be difficult as Gygax always kept an incredible amount of secrecy surrounding Mordenkainen, most likely to leave it up to DMs, but also to add to the character's mystery.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm  

Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue novels provide some added detail on both the Obsidian Citadel and the Citadel of Unknown Depths.

As noted in another post, the latter is briefly described in the very fun module WG6, Isle of the Ape, where its location is given as "high above the Free City of Greyhawk, somewhere upon the lonely south coast of the Nyr Dyv..." Here is a brief excerpt:

"You stand before a great throne of lapis lazuli. The massive chamber in which it rests is also blue. Even the air has an indigo quality - perhaps from the weirdly convoluted coils of smoke rising from braiers of azure metal[...]"
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: