JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Naval Cultures of the Flanaess: Eastern Explorers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Naval Cultures of the Flanaess: Eastern Explorers
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:17 pm  
    Naval Cultures of the Flanaess: Eastern Explorers

I see the naval culture articles are being posted; hope you all enjoy. Confused

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=903&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Although the first one appears to have been posted twice Confused

Last edited by Crag on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:40 pm  

Great article Crag. You don't see much about GH's navies, so this should be a good run for you.

As to the repeating article, I guess that Aerdian bureaucracy wants everything documented in duplicate.
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 am  
    Posted Twice

Crag wrote:
    Although the first one appears to have been posted twice

Did it post twice? I only see it once... Let me know.

Don (Greyson)
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:48 am  

On my screen it is posted twice Wink

Maybe Ivid isn't dead - what could he be planning?
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm  
    Fixed

Crag wrote:
    On my screen it is posted twice

Okay, I fixed it. Thanks for saying something, Crag. PM me the moment you ever see anything amiss.

Great article, by the way. I look forward to getting this nice collection posted. These things are teaching me about the Flanaess and matters related to the sea!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:08 am  

Good article! Naval matters get something of a short shrift too often.

It looks like you are starting with a broad cultural overview. While I look forward to future installmdents, I hope you get around to discussing individual countries in modern times, recognizing that not all historically Oeridian etc. powers will be similar in all details.

Good idea for a series!

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:56 pm  

These articles were meant to provide the broad cultural differences or naval mindset of the main races within GH. To provide some addition flavour to hopefully allow the DMs to provide a more memorable encounter.

It is the differeces that are remembered but not every nation will ever be exactly the same. If these overview article excited enough interest I was planning on writing a more in depth naval study of a representative nation for each philosophy.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:00 pm  

I enjoyed the article immensely, but I am the dark cloud today. I believe GH naval culture certainly does get short changed, but for a very good reason; monsters. I can't see a kingdom, who is already reeling from the throws of war, allocating a ton of gold into ships. There are just too many hazards and monsters out there and magic-users (ha! I said magic-users, can you tell I'm old school?) are too valuable to be sending out into the unknown. Far better to establish land lines that can be easily defended. If a nasty storm comes along, then the caravan just hunkers down and waits it out. If a ship gets caught in a storm....hope like the Nine Hells they are bnear land, becasue who knows where they will end up. More importantly, who knows where the precious cargo will end up! Shocked Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 pm  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    If a nasty storm comes along, then the caravan just hunkers down and waits it out. If a ship gets caught in a storm....hope like the Nine Hells they are bnear land, becasue who knows where they will end up. More importantly, who knows where the precious cargo will end up! Shocked Smile

Spoken like a true Dwarf. You people always were scarey around the water! Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:28 pm  

Indeed, but I believe the Principality of Ulek has a very respectable navy that utilizes dwarven marines....fools they be. Smile But I still stand by my original staement, these articles on naval culture are well written and intelligent!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:13 pm  

Nah. Keoland bases ships out of Gradsul and Gryrax, so the Principality has little need for(or use for) a navy.

Besides, dwarves don't like water as it washes the dirt off of them. Laughing
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:47 am  

From a PM:
    DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I'm all excited, I get to quote something and sound like I know what I'm talking about (you folks are very intimidating with your knowledge about WoG). Anywho, the Principality of Ulek does indeed use dwarven marines.

If I may quote from pg.119-121 of Living Greyhawk Gaztteer: ...the principality maintains a strong naval prescence on the Azure Sea to patrol the southern coast and keep shipping lanes secure from pirates. These vessels are mostly crewed by humans in the service of the prince, but they are frequently staffed with dwarven marines of unusual discipline and courage.

I didn't want to call this out in public, it would make me sound like an arrogant donkey.

Woohoo!
    DwarffromNyrond

Bah! You should have called it out! Happy I will make of note of the "mostly crewed by humans" part of that quote, and the part that implies that it takes dwarves of "unusual discipline and courage" to actually board a ship and not piss themselves. Dwarves are not known for being water babies; just babies in this case. Laughing

So yes, you are right in that the Principality has a (mostly human) navy. There is a lot of info to remember, so bring it up when it needs to be brouht up. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm  

The marines are dwarven - for boarding actions or to repel them but the actual naval expertise is human.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: