Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Age of Worms: Tharizdun instead of Kyuss?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Age of Worms: Tharizdun instead of Kyuss?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:09 pm  
    Age of Worms: Tharizdun instead of Kyuss?

I was thinking of hunting down the Age of Worms adventure path but was wondering if Kyuss could be swapped with Tharizdun?

Or would this require major reworking?

Tharizdun's big on the whole tentacle thing and worms are pretty close . . .

But, from what I've heard, you battle it out with Kyuss at the end. I'm assuming this is an aspect of Kyuss so I suppose you could battle it out with an aspect of Tharizdun who is still weak trying to break free from his prison.

Thanks
    Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 pm  

The first half of the AP might not need much reworking b/c it barely alludes to the worminess to come. After that it gets VERY Kyuss specific. The final battle yeah would be no brainer to swap but I'd be concerned with some of the named minion subplots and locales(like Dragotha, Riftcanyon and Kuluth Mar).
    GreySage

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 pm  
    Re: Age of Worms: Tharizdun instead of Kyuss?

dead wrote:
    But, from what I've heard, you battle it out with Kyuss at the end. I'm assuming this is an aspect of Kyuss

No, you battle actual Kyuss in his full manifestation.

Is there a particular reason why Tharizdun would make a better villain in your campaign?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:03 pm  

Tharizdun is way overused. Keep Kyuss. Plus, you would have to essentially rewrite the entire latter half of the adventure path.

If you want to run the first half, then completely shoot off in another direction with the second, it would be easy to change the "things to come" of the first to be aimed more at Tharizdun.

That is what I would do.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:37 pm  

Thanks, everyone.

I agree, Tharizdun is overused in published adventures. In my game, though, I've been dropping subtle hints of impending doom and evidence of Tharizdun's cult active. I was looking for an epic adventure path to bring all of this to a climax.

When I read about Age of Worms, I thought I might be able to easily swap out Kyuss for Tharizdun but it sounds like it would involve a lot of work. I'm after a similar ending: the PCs face off with a weakened manifestation of Tharizdun coming into the world and the fate of the world is in their hands. Smile

Another option - although it involves perhaps even more work - is to create my own adventure path based on the Gord the Rogue novels. Instead of Gord, however, the PCs are the heroes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 am  

Bah...don't let it worry you. It can be done with relative ease. If it were me this is what I would do...

First get a hold of the Age of Worms AP. Read through it and figure out just where in the story the divergence point comes in...i.e. where you need to start swapping in Big T details and what not.

Then, get the online supplement that was put out for the Elder Evils book, the one about Shothragot. Read through that and flesh it out for the back half of your campaign.

While at it, get Elder Evils and spice in a few other things from that (according to taste) and have at it!

Also, if it were me, I would go ahead and run it as per for quite a while even going so far as to have it look like a Kyuss plot only to shift late game with a BIG REVEAL where the PCs learn that it is actually pawns of Big Daddy T working under double layers of secrecy.

Enjoy.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 am  

Katerek wrote:
    Also, if it were me, I would go ahead and run it as per for quite a while even going so far as to have it look like a Kyuss plot only to shift late game with a BIG REVEAL where the PCs learn that it is actually pawns of Big Daddy T working under double layers of secrecy.

That's a good idea. Like in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil Tharizdun hides behind the Elemental Evil cult.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:10 am  

That's pretty much what I had in mind, yeah.

I would love to hear how this all turns out, BTW.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: