JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - grodog's review of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Published Material Reviews & Discussion
    grodog's review of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works
    CF Admin

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:54 pm  
    grodog's review of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works

I finally finished this beast, and you can read it at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_grodog_castle_zagyg_review_final.pdf

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:17 am  

YES!

A crazy style detailed review! Laughing This ought to be of interest to many folks. Thanks for putting in the effort. Cool
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm  
    Alternative

It's hard to think that after all these years there would be no Gygax product that could be Castle Greyhawk for us.

So today I thought of a way--use B2! Doh!

Oh, shoot, we've waited this long...will we be around much longer? Since Gygax Games though a monkey wrench in the release of CZIII I feel like we'll never get to see what Gary had developed in any incarnation.

"Wanna lick? Wanna lick? Psych!" --Eddie Murphy
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:40 am  
    Re: Alternative

Cebrion wrote:
    YES!

A crazy style detailed review! Laughing This ought to be of interest to many folks. Thanks for putting in the effort. Cool

Sure. I'm just bummed that the review took me as long to finish as it did: there's not a large window left to pick up CZ:UW, since TLG will stop selling it on 31 December 2008.

Raymond wrote:
    Since Gygax Games though a monkey wrench in the release of CZIII I feel like we'll never get to see what Gary had developed in any incarnation.

It looks like Mongoose will be publishing all things Gygax Games at this point:

Looks like Mongoose is the likely publisher for all of EGG's materials at this point:

Matthew Sprange @ Mongoose wrote:

The summer of 2009 will also see the first titles from Trigee Enterprises. The intention here is to bring to light both the published and unpublished works of the late Gary Gygax, starting with Lejendary Adventures.

Original link @
    http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=557512

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm  

Well...I'm late to the party......but......WOW.....that was one HELLUVA detailed review! Nice job Grodog! Happy

Now, I'm not as old-school as Grodog as I didn't really get into Greyhawk until 2nd Edition (I'm old enough to have played in some 1st edition Greyhawk adventures, most notably T1-4)....and I seem to be one of the very few who thinks Carl Sargent's works were brillant....but then again, I was too young to have gotten really invested in a game and then seen it change in major ways. (I felt the same way about Battletech when they introduced the Clans...I thought the entire setting was just changed in TERRIBLE ways....but I digress)

Now, as someone who came up playing 1st and 2nd Edition D&D and absolutely HATING 3rd edition when it came out....I was overjoyed at Troll Lord Games' creation of C&C. As a huge Greyhawk fan, I was even more overjoyed at learning that Gygax was going to put out Castle Zagyg. I was one of the lucky ones who managed to obtain a copy before the license ended and CZ was taken away from TLG. As a proud owner of the product, I would have to agree with almost all of Grodog's points about the product...to me, it is excellent. I too wish for more Greyhawk references, but again, as I came into the setting a little later, I don't have as much of a gripe about it as some old-school fans; but I can certainly see where they're coming from.

Last note: I actually like WGR1 a lot more than Grodog; though I can't say its a fantastic product and I too think its levels are too small. I also wish they had made a few more homages to Gygax and Kuntz version in WGR1.....but all in all, I'd rate it a 6.5-7.0 on a 10 point scale. Personally, I'm thinking of taking elements from WGR1, the third edition Expedition to Greyhawk Castle and some of the tales of the original castle adventures and adapting them to Castle Zagyg to work as my take on Castle Greyhawk for a home campaign.

All in all though, grodog gave a phenomenal review!
    CF Admin

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:14 pm  

maxvale76 wrote:
    Well...I'm late to the party......but......WOW.....that was one HELLUVA detailed review! Nice job Grodog! Happy

Thanks maxvale76 :D

maxvale76 wrote:
    and I seem to be one of the very few who thinks Carl Sargent's works were brillant....

I think you'll find a number of us here have a fairly high opinion of Sargernt's GH contributions!

maxvale76 wrote:
    Personally, I'm thinking of taking elements from WGR1, the third edition Expedition to Greyhawk Castle and some of the tales of the original castle adventures and adapting them to Castle Zagyg to work as my take on Castle Greyhawk for a home campaign.

And that's what it's all about: making CZ your own! Keep us posted on your version----I'm always curious to hear about how other folks are developing their Castles.

maxvale76 wrote:
    All in all though, grodog gave a phenomenal review!

Thanks again =)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Published Material Reviews & Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: