JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Heraldry Question
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Heraldry Question
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:41 pm  
    Greyhawk Heraldry Question

Does anyone have any idea of the heraldry for the city of Crockport? (Note: Living Greyhawk fans, your input would certainly be welcome!) I'm working on a pre-wars version of the city and wanted to add the heraldic shield for it to the map. I know all the heraldic items from the World of Greyhawk Boxed set and From the Ashes - Crockport is absent from those.

I have also collected up a number of crests from other sources, as follows:

1. Modenkainen, the Citadel of Eight and Bigby: Gleaned from Gary Gygax's posts over on ENWorld, Rob Kuntz's old Yuku site and various interviews.

2. Rary: From the map in WGR3 - Rary the Traitor.

3. Stoink: Cebrion was kind enough to link me to his rendition of the arms for that city and territory, here on CF, and drawn from the description given in Saga of the Old City.

4. City of Seltaren: Denis Tetreault's excellent work from the OJ 23 article.

5. Lendor Isle's Red Star League: My work. I ran this up for Len Lakofka back when he was working on L4 - Devilspawn and sent him copies the originals.

6. The Knights Protector: Located here on CF.

7. The Knights of Luna: Again my work, done for the pleasure of it. Based on information given in an article dredged up from the Greyhawk Codex site via the Wayback Machine.

8. Various pre-wars Bandit Kingdom crests. I did these up to illustrate a map designed to go with Oerthman's Bandit Kingdoms 576 CY Gazetteer here on CF. Map and heraldry were posted in the downloads section earlier this week.

Anyways, as you can see, I've managed to get my grubby paws on a number of useful items... but no Crockport. I'd be willing to design it, assuming it doesn't exist already, but I'm tapped out for ideas and inspiration.

Any thoughts folks?

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:58 pm  

I feel your pain. When I put together my Knights of Holy Shielding and Knights of the Hart articles, I found out just how little information that there was out there for the Shield Lands and Furyondy, so far as background information(personalities, sub-divisions of the nation, heraldry, etc.) is concerned. The Marklands, while it contains some gems, left out a ton of stuff that would have been useful to know. It tried to cover too much in its limited page count. That book could have easily been 2-3 times as big as it was considering the area that it covers.

You may be in luck though. I am not sure where yabusama got his heraldry from(I assume he made it up, as I can find no reference, but you never know), but he did include heraldry on his City of Crockport map, located HERE.

Even if it is sourceless, it is something at least.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 pm  

Perfect! May Boccob and Zagyg both bless you.

Happy

I have a copy of Yabusama's map (indeed, I got his permission to adapt it for QMG2) but somehow wound up with a version sans heraldry.

As far as sourceless, that's fine by me. Unless the Furyondy LG information contradicts, I'm delighted to use his version - he did excellent work on that map.

Thank you, Cebrion.

(And another one for my collection to boot... Cha-CHING!)

Laughing

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:33 am  

Cha-CHING! Question Shocked

Spoken like a true carpet-bagger! Evil Grin Laughing
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: