ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Seven Precepts of the Knights of The Watch
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Seven Precepts of the Knights of The Watch
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:29 am  
    The Seven Precepts of the Knights of The Watch

Hello All
    I was wondering if anyone has anything on the Seven Precepts. I've got a character that wants to join and work his way "up the ladder", as it were. If they're not out there, I'll create my own.....but why go to all that trouble when folks are out there that already have the info Smile

Thanks for the help

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm  

I'd start here
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=3
    Not specific to KotW as I recall, but would give you a guide.. I will dig further..
    Evil Grin
    Credits go to the Awe Powerful C (as he is the author)
    Paladin

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:54 pm  

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20050517a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20050712a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20061031a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20060926a
    Above are LGG RPGA at Wizards Site that have some info you could porbably gleen through. Though that would depend on what type of campaign you are running ( I think most of what is posted there is 3.5e to 4e)

A list posted elsewhere and compiled by Grodog and Zavorda is a good reference resource too.
    Grodog wrote:

Joe, do you have Jason Zavoda's GH index? It's got pointers to GH references across most products published through 2003:

Quote:

Knights of Furyondy [ORG]
    FTAC - 69,70
    HART - 1-4,25-27,29,34,37,40,43-48
    LGG - 131,158,IBC
    PGTG - 27,56,57
    WGR4 - 11,28,37,39,42
    WOGA - 80,IBC

Knights of Luna [ORG]
    DRG#191 - 68
    FTAA - 24,41,79
    FTAC - 1,45,68-71,77,87
    LGG - 17,38,39,40,58,88,96,116,118,119,121,129,159
    LGJ#0 - 11
    LGJ#3 - 10
    PGTG - 26,27
    TAB - 35,86,90
    WGR4 - 10,41,92

Knights of the High Forest [ORG]
    FTAA - 46
    FTAC - 70
    HART - 2
    LGG - 53,54,158,159,IBC
    PGTG - 27,57,58
    WGR4 - 12,22,28,38,39,48
    WOGA - 80,IBC

Knights of the Order of the Hart [ORG]
    DRG#37 - 10
    DRG#191 - 66
    DRG#AN3 - 22,23
    FTAA - 25,46,47
    FTAC - 1,45,69-72,87
    GW:ADV - 3,4,9,10,25
    HART - 2,3,27,30
    LGG - 17,25,42,45,47,53,58,65,85,96,102,129,131,132,142, 157,
    158,159,160,IBC
    LGJ#0 - 4
    LGJ#1 - 9,16
    LGJ#3 - 29
    PGTG - 1,25,27,56,57
    SLV - 6
    T1-4 - 47,86
    TAB - 20,36,71,84,86,101
    WG8 - 93
    WGA4 - 93
    WGG - IC
    WGR4 - 4,9,11,12,13,18,22,28,30,36,37,38,40,41
    WGR5 - 34,62,86
    WGR6 - 10,62
    WOGA - IC,25,79,80
    WOGG - 4

Knights of Veluna [ORG]
    FTAC - 70
    HART - 2
    LGG - 129,158,IBC
    PGTG - 27,57,58
    WGR4 - 12
    WOGA - 80

Hope these help
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:56 pm  

Thanks Galen

I've also found some stuff from the Living Greyhawk Campaign. It's the guidelines for being in the Knights that was put out in 2004. It goes into details about what you get from the RPGA as you gain levels. It makes mention of candidates for knighthood going through "The Vigil, as described in the material discussing the secret ceremonies of the Knights"

So I assume there is more out there that may or may not be private stuff they wrote for the RPGA....would be great to track some of that down. I've been most impressed with everything I've gotten from that part of the campaign.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:05 pm  

Sword and Fist (page 47-49) I think may be what you seek.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:04 pm  

I've been looking into finishing off my Knights of the Watch/Knights of Dispatch article lately. The only bit that really remains to b e finished off is a paragraph or two on the history of the KotW from CY 300 - CY 570 or so. I just need to look into that bit, or write it up if it is mostly nonexistent (which I think most of it is), then there are just a few other minor bits to polish up.

The article includes background information on the two orders, including bits on their forerunner the Knights of the March and information on the Twelve and Seven Precepts, a 3.5 E prestige class system that encapsulates both the Knights of the Watch and the Knights of Dispatch, a stat block for Hugo of Geoff, the Knights of the Watch/Knights of Dispatch Affiliation (as per the 3.5E PHB 2), and a system for creating the elaborate names that the knights are so well known for. I am not quite sure how I will go about posting it, as it will be about seventeen pages long in its finished form (about 50% longer than any of the other articles).

This will be the fourth article in the series (it has also proven to be the toughest of the bunch to write up), and the last article I originally had planned to write on the various knightly order of the Flanaess. The original plan may expand a bit though, and I may write up two additional articles on other knightly orders, one of them being not so nice. Shocked

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:10 am; edited 2 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:25 pm  
    12 & 7 ... Knights the Watch

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Sword and Fist (page 47-49) I think may be what you seek.

Fascinating ... I hadn't read this in quite some time, Galen. Thank you for reminding me of it. The Twelve and the Seven Precepts. Fascinating. This was a marvelous read.
    Sword and Fist wrote:
    The Seven precepts ... are said to guide “life beyond the self,” giving meaning to existence and the universe beyond the concerns of warfare and battle. While the Watchers’ outward behaviors might hint at the contents of the Twelve, they guard the nature of the Seven with jealous zeal. Indeed, so fanatical are the Watchers regarding the contents of these latter teachings that they reveal them only in order, one by one, to the knights who advance in station through the ranks of the organization by dint of proven merit and demonstrated worth. The Seventh Precept itself is known only the knight who occupies the very highest level of knighthood that can be attained in the order: The Grandiose Imperial Wyvern (currently the ailing Hugo of Geoff ). A handful of sages have speculated, based on the rare few scraps of writing from Azmarender’s pen that exist outside the walls of the Watcher’s strongholds, that the Seventh reveals ancient secrets concerning the establishment of Oerth itself. The only known attempt to steal the secret of the Seventh Precept occurred a decade ago and met with spectacular failure when the would-be thieves, who somehow managed to gain entry into the chambers of the Grand Imperial Wyvern himself, were unable to disarm the powerful magic protections that guarded their objective. The Watchers hung what remained of their bodies from the ramparts of the stronghold, a grim reminder to all that the acquisition of knowledge often comes only through payment of a
    hideously steep price.

That's a pretty closely guarded secret, it seems. ... I guess that means we won't likely be hearing too much on the specific details anytime soon. Although, it would be interesting to learn what it is tha tothers think that he Seven could be!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Paladin

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 am  
    Re: 12 & 7 ... Knights the Watch

Icarus wrote:

That's a pretty closely guarded secret, it seems. ... I guess that means we won't likely be hearing too much on the specific details anytime soon. Although, it would be interesting to learn what it is tha tothers think that he Seven could be!

Perhaps The Big "C" will enlighten us with those details within his forth coming article... *hint hint* nudge nudge.... heheh
    Would certainly make for an interesting side trek series.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 am  

The Seventh Secret revealed:

"The gods are really human children in another dimension role-playing and rolling dice in mock deitiship over the lives of the people of the Flanaess."

It's no wonder that truth is such a closely guarded secret. Shocked

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:57 am  
    Re: 12 & 7 ... Knights the Watch

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Icarus wrote:

That's a pretty closely guarded secret, it seems. ... I guess that means we won't likely be hearing too much on the specific details anytime soon. Although, it would be interesting to learn what it is that others think that the Seven could be!

Perhaps The Big "C" will enlighten us with those details within his forth coming article... *hint hint* nudge nudge.... heheh
    Would certainly make for an interesting side trek series.

I do cover the Seven Precepts in detail, including the Seventh Precept. Mostly. Wink
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: