JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Article Submission Question
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Article Submission Question
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am  
    Article Submission Question

Hello! Sorry to clog the forum, but I couldn't find this in the FAQ.

1) Is there a maximum length for an article? At what point would you require/recommend an article be broken into smaller pieces?

2) There seems to be some overlap between topics, and I'm uncertain which topic to select for my article. Working title: "An Alternate Linguistic History of the Flanaess." Basically it rethinks the formation of Common and uses linguistics to posit ancient origins of the major ethnic groups. I can see this going in history, heresy, peoples & culture...I would welcome your thoughts here.

Thanks!

Chevalier
    Paladin

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:37 am  
    Re: Article Submission Question

Chevalier wrote:
    Working title: "An Alternate Linguistic History of the Flanaess." Basically it rethinks the formation of Common and uses linguistics to posit ancient origins of the major ethnic groups. I can see this going in history, heresy, peoples & culture...I would welcome your thoughts here.

If your article flies on the face of known and accepted canon, then I would say heresy if instead it dabbles in the what if grey areas of canon, then depending on the "teller" it could be their "historical" perspective or peoples & Cultures dependent on the styling of your manuscript.
    If for example, on finding and deploying the staff of Rao to rid the world of fiends, the side effect would be mankind (akin to babel legend) could no longer use common and it would explain the sub languages. This, of course, is non-canon, and heretical ( lol probably on numerous levels) Wink Because historical "canon" makes no correlation to this effect nor would it explain all the years prior.
    If instead, your plausible angle is the Rhennee pre-descendants to be responsible for the merger of ancient Bakluni, Suloise, and other dialects into an early form of "common", that could be plausible, as there is canon to support the Rhennee not originally being from Oerth.
    Just my two coppers worth.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm  
    Re: Article Submission Question

Chevalier wrote:
    Hello! Sorry to clog the forum, but I couldn't find this in the FAQ.

1) Is there a maximum length for an article? At what point would you require/recommend an article be broken into smaller pieces?

I forget precisely what the word limit is, but I think that it is around 4,000 words. If the submission is monstrously large, PM me and let me know the details, and we can work out how best to present it.

Chevalier wrote:
    2) There seems to be some overlap between topics, and I'm uncertain which topic to select for my article. Working title: "An Alternate Linguistic History of the Flanaess." Basically it rethinks the formation of Common and uses linguistics to posit ancient origins of the major ethnic groups. I can see this going in history, heresy, peoples & culture...I would welcome your thoughts here.

Thanks!

Chevalier

If your article overlaps different Article categories then choose the most prominent one.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 am  

Thanks Cebrion and Galen!

My rough draft was 2400 words, so I should be OK on the length unless I get really windy.

It's not crazy heretical; I'm changing a few things in order for the whole to make more sense, and adding some history that doesn't necessarily contradict canon, though it contradicts other assumptions, I think. So History or People & Cultures...I'll think about it. I hope to submit by the end of the month, depending on how much spare time I can carve out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm  

OK, now I feel a bit dim. I've finally finished the article, and went to fill out the Submit an Article form. Filled in the blanks, copied in my document, hit preview - and I got the PHP-NUKE page telling me my html tags were not allowed. I couldn't think what this might be, though I'd seen the html warning on the submit page. I changed out all my pre-existing italics for italics via the text editor on the form, and still got the nuke page. Since I obviously don't know what html tags are, can someone help me out? Does this mean I need to type the whole thing in again?

Apologies for web cluelessness,

Chevalier

P.S. this monkey weighs in at 3300 words
    Paladin

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 pm  

Chevalier wrote:
    OK, now I feel a bit dim. I've finally finished the article, and went to fill out the Submit an Article form. Filled in the blanks, copied in my document, hit preview - and I got the PHP-NUKE page telling me my html tags were not allowed. I couldn't think what this might be, though I'd seen the html warning on the submit page. I changed out all my pre-existing italics for italics via the text editor on the form, and still got the nuke page. Since I obviously don't know what html tags are, can someone help me out? Does this mean I need to type the whole thing in again?

I think the problem is the submission for article spot doesn't allow for HTML
    (based on note at bottom of submission link (HTML code isn't allowed. Please use the editor functions instead.))
    You might be able to submit here
    editors@canonfire.com
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 pm  

Dark Lord Galen is right. Basically type of your article with no font changes, no font sizes, no bold, italics, etc. Paste in just the basic text, and then bold/italicize, change font size/type using the [B] and [I] buttons and other functions in the Submit Article window.s If you do not input your article this way, you will get the html tags error.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 pm  

Woohoo! A new article submission! Way to go, Chevalier! Happy

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:03 am  

Bah! Something is still going wrong. I've taken out all italics; I don't have any bold, underline, or font changes. Hm. Let's see...I'm copying from a Word 97-03 document, my browser is Safari...unless those things make a difference, I'm at a loss. In the meantime, I'll keep trying...

Thanks for your help, and thanks SirXaris for your enthusiasm!
    Paladin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm  

Chevalier,
    Check your font style you might have a scalable font that is undiscernable to the submissions window.
    I just submitted an article using MS Word 2010 with an arial font, and other that the Scale size (which there is no means to change) it took the article.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:45 pm  

Thanks DLG - I tried different fonts including Arial, no go. I ran it through two different "scrubbers" online, saved as plaintext, nothing has worked...I think I'm down to typing the whole thing from scratch into the submit window; it will take forever, but I can't think of another way to be sure there won't be tags.
    Paladin

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm  

Chevalier wrote:
    I think I'm down to typing the whole thing from scratch into the submit window; it will take forever, but I can't think of another way to be sure there won't be tags.

remember you can submit via
    editors@canonfire.com
    instead of going from scratch?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm  

Oh sure, if I wanted to do it the easy way. :)
    Seriously, I was trying my best to use the submit article page, since that seems to be the preferred format, reserving the email for my last resort. But it does make more sense than retyping the whole thing, yes.

I have more potential articles in the pipeline, so I hope I figure this out eventually...in the meantime, email it is.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 am  

If the article text will fit in a PM, send it to me that way and I'll take care of it. If not, I'll send you an e-mail address to use.

Whichever you can do, you will still need to submit the article, even though it has no text, as a place holder.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 am  

Article is away - I had already sent to the "editors" account. And now the placeholder is submitted as well. Sorry this was so much trouble. I hope reviewers will be kind!
    Paladin

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 pm  

Chevalier wrote:
    Article is away - I had already sent to the "editors" account. And now the placeholder is submitted as well. Sorry this was so much trouble. I hope reviewers will be kind!

don't feel its just you, Mine went through and then got scrambled Shocked
    So I too am resubmitting via the Big C.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.40 Seconds