ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Flags/Banners
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Flags/Banners
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:05 am  
    Greyhawk Flags/Banners

Greetings,

Seems there hasn't been much discussion on Greyhawk flags/banners. That was my assessment from a couple quick google searches and a canonfire! search.

Since the demise of MobileMe my old website has whisked off to the ether and I've begun to work on a new design and some new graphics using flags from the areas where most of my campaigns take place, mainly Irongate and Rel Astra. The third flag on the far right is meant to be a generic Greyhawk flag for the smaller misc. campaigns.

I've not seen any flags besides the one on the lance from the '83 boxed set, so I thought I'd share mine. Now that I look at the cover closer I'm not even sure which nation it belongs too.

Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

Here's the basic layout of the design for the site. Larger images can be found through the flickr links

Screen-Shot-2012-07-06 by boslok, on Flickr

Larger details of the flags.

irongate_flag by boslok, on Flickr

relastra_flag by boslok, on Flickr

greyhawk_flag by boslok, on Flickr

Last edited by boslok_the_elder on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 am  

Boslok,

Do you own the 1983 boxed set to which you referred? If not, there is a complete listing of standards, flags, and banners from around the Flanaess on the inside cover of one of the two books.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:44 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Do you own the 1983 boxed set to which you referred? If not, there is a complete listing of standards, flags, and banners from around the Flanaess on the inside cover of one of the two books.

I do, and the LLG also has the shield devices and coats of arms on the inside covers, but I've not seen any mention of standards, flags and banners unless I've missed them. The coat of arms on the flags above I lifted from the '83 inside cover.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:39 pm  

Flags and banners. You know, the topic never occured to me. I assumed the shield based heraldry and flags were one and the same (like the knights of the hart or the barbarian lands. simple symbol, one color fields) but I can now see from those gorgeous banners that variations can exist with the same color/symbol themes. If there is any canon references on flags and banners, they must surely only exist in artwork sprinkled thru the years. Regardless, I'd just continue what you started, boslok, and do more of these on your own.

Update: After some thought I had to write more on this great topic. Keep up the good work boslok!

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2012/07/flags-banners-and-standards.html
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm  

First off, those are beautiful, boslok!

Second, it's funny you bring this up because I'm working on a heretical article on a civil war in Furyondy and I already started drawing the banners (well pennons technically) for the opposing sides to include with it.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 pm  

Truly, Boslok, those are beautiful banners! Please continue to produce more and provide them to the rest of us. Smile

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm  

Those are absolutely amazing. I especially like how Irongate turned out.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 pm  

Hey unemployed_bullywug! Belated welcome to CF! I missed your earlier posts. Nice username and avatar. Even more impressive that it's your own work. I checked out your deviantART gallery, and I really love your style. It's somewhat similar to Ben Caldwell. Are you familiar with his work? I'm a big fan of his work on the All-action Classic comics, especially the Odyssey and Dracula. I'll look forward to seeing more of your art and hopefully some GH stuff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:35 pm  

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Yeah, its sorta of one of those things that never occurred to me as well. It wasn't until after I started working on the flags that I started doing Google searches for Greyhawk flags to check out any other examples that I realized I wasn't finding any.

I'm not sure how many more I'll take my hand too, but I'd love to see what other people come up with.

mortellan wrote:
    Update: After some thought I had to write more on this great topic. Keep up the good work boslok!
    http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2012/07/flags-banners-and-standards.html

Enjoyed your write up immensely, its exactly what I was hinting around.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Second, it's funny you bring this up because I'm working on a heretical article on a civil war in Furyondy and I already started drawing the banners (well pennons technically) for the opposing sides to include with it.

Can't wait to see them, are you hand drawing them or other electronic means?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm  

unemployed_bullywug wrote:
    Those are absolutely amazing. I especially like how Irongate turned out.

I sent it to one of my players asking "would a dwarf have conceived this flag?" he replied "a dwarf would make a tabard of this flag" :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 pm  

I still have the nagging question of who's coat of arms is that on the '83 cover flag? It sorta looks like the Fax (Wild Coast) coat of arms but it has a blue stripe between the red diamonds.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 am  

Awesome job! How long did it take you do a banner?

Whats next?

Cheers.

AncientGamer Cool aka BusterBudd

</a>AncientGamer aka BusterBudd
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm  

BusterBudd wrote:
    Awesome job! How long did it take you do a banner?

Whats next?

Thanks

It took me a few of hours to get the template in photoshop worked out, wasn't really in a rush. Now I could probably do one in 20 mins if I had a clear idea of how I wanted it to look.

The character's I GM for have a castle in the Ironhills, I'll probably work on their flag.
    GreySage

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:58 pm  

If one is not already fashioned, perhaps Canonfire! should have its own flag or standard...it seems we already have talent presented before us! Happy

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 pm  

Boslok,

Great banners, we should have a Greyhawk flag day! Lanthorn great idea a canonfire standard would be nice.

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:10 pm  

boslok_the_elder wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

Can't wait to see them, are you hand drawing them or other electronic means?

Photoshop. I've got a template I worked up and then put in the field, ordinaries, subordinaries, charges, etc... in layers. I liberally "borrow" most of the charges from images I find on the internet, although sometimes have to alter them a bit to get what I want. The one I actually did completely hand draw and scan in was an ouroboros for Iuz's pre-War arms. That was for another article, that I never finished.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 am  

Boslok the Elder wrote:

I still have the nagging question of who's coat of arms is that on the '83 cover flag? It sorta looks like the Fax (Wild Coast) coat of arms but it has a blue stripe between the red diamonds.

I believe that research revealed that to be the Gygax family coat of arms, from Switzerland. It also shows up on the 1st edition Player's Handbook, and probably some other places. I've seen a picture (probably in these forums) of EGG wearing a chunky ring with that coat of arms on it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm  

Chevalier wrote:
    I believe that research revealed that to be the Gygax family coat of arms, from Switzerland. It also shows up on the 1st edition Player's Handbook, and probably some other places. I've seen a picture (probably in these forums) of EGG wearing a chunky ring with that coat of arms on it.

Thanks, very interesting.

I'm happy to learn that Gary and I shared a common heritage, Switzerland. My family also has the Coat of Arms hanging on our wall from both sides of the family from Switzerland.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 am  

boslok_the_elder wrote:
    BusterBudd wrote:
    Whats next?

The character's I GM for have a castle in the Ironhills, I'll probably work on their flag.

They're closely aligned with Irongate and are members of the Iron League, hence the symbol.

carbonek_flag by boslok, on Flickr
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm  

Excellent Boslok! I love the look of it. Smile

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:51 am  

Awesome work boslok!!

You have a good hand with photoshop, both with the heraldry and your maps. They both look really good, keep up the great work!

Anna
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: