Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest XVII(Richfest 2012): Inns & Taverns of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest XVII(Richfest 2012): Inns & Taverns of Greyhawk
    Forum Moderator

Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 am  
    Postfest XVII(Richfest 2012): Inns & Taverns of Greyhawk

Welcome to Postfest XVII (Richfest 2012): Inns & Taverns of Greyhawk

This Postfest will focus on some of the more interesting"sleeperies" and eateries in the World of Greyhawk. Here are some suggestions as to what to include in your entries:

To begin with, write about a location that not much (or anything) has been written about before- make something up! A particular emphasis should be put on your chosen location being conducive to adventuring. Don't just present a description of a place, its proprietors, how much rooms cost, and what they have on the menu. Put in some local flair, such as rumors, interesting local folk, questionable characters, etc. Think more along the lines of presenting a place where a road weary (or bored) adventurer can find all manner of trouble to get themselves into. Think of the Inn of the Welcome Wench of Hommlet fame, or of the Green Dragon Inn in Greyhawk City(I wouldn't recommend writing on these particular locations as they have been covered rather extensively already), and the trouble one can get themselves hooked into there and you won't go wrong. Whatever you want to write about, just make sure that the main feature is an inn or tavern. Heck, your inn or tavern could be an adventure site in and of itself if that is what you want to do!

Feel free to make your submission game edition specific or neutral, super crunchy(i.e. lots o' rules) or completely fluff(background), or anywhere in between. Basically, write what YOU want to write. Mind you, this is not a hard and fast format, but I think that more people will find the articles useful if prospective authors adhere to at least some of the above suggestions. Now, on to the format.

Your submission should be in the realm of 1,000-4,000 words or so in length (more is fine; less not so much). That is not set in stone, but it is a good average length for any Article. As usual, be sure to not only Spell Check your article but read it over yourself, as Spell Check will catch many things, but seldom everything. You may submit your article HERE. Be sure to write a short introductory teaser for your article and be sure to cite any sources you may have used as well. ***See the directions at the top of the Submissions page if you have any problems with the text not being accepted(this may happen if you use Internet Explorer). Even if the text is not accepted, *you must still submit your article title on the Submissions page*. When e-mailing an article to editorsatcanonfirecom, be sure that your article is in simple Word form, contains no unsupported fonts, and with no formatting of any sort if possible(the simpler the better). This just makes things a whole lot easier for us to deal with, so please take the time to do this. Make sure you put the title of your submission in the following format:

Postfest XVII(Richfest 2012): TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE

***Submissions are due by June 30, 2012.***

Thanks, and get to writing! ---The Canonfire! Staff

Last edited by mortellan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm  

Looks good! Happy Now, if only Anced_Math hadn't stolen the White Feather from me last time around... Laughing

Hmmm. I'll have to think about this one.

Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm  

Any interest in the Barnacle Goose, an undersea tavern in the small settlement called Driftwood? To the southwest of Turucambi reef, Driftwood is populated mainly by malenti and other undersea outcasts.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 pm  

Aeolius,

Interested in your idea for postfest. I would like to see more people post their prospective postfest articles here as well. Icarus part 2 of the laughing turtle would be a welcome submission. Just saying! Happy

Not sure I'm in for this round but I have a few ideas brewing.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun May 20, 2012 8:18 am  

Aeolius wrote:
    Any interest in the Barnacle Goose, an undersea tavern in the small settlement called Driftwood? To the southwest of Turucambi reef, Driftwood is populated mainly by malenti and other undersea outcasts.

Absolutely, Aeolius! An underwater tavern would be a great article to read. I don't remember ever reading of one before. I like the idea and there's no one more qualified to write it than you. Wink

SirXaris

Edit: Spelling. SX

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun May 20, 2012 5:06 pm  

Just posted my submission. Well, actually I emailed it since I kept getting an error when I tried to preview it. Wrote quicker than I thought. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 am  

I was considering doing a writeup on The Wild Goose (of The World Serpent Inn fame). Whaddya guys think?
    Paladin

Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm  

I'm splitting my efforts between a Shipwreck Cog off the coast of Safeton turned into a tavern by the local Sailors and a Gnome tavern in the Kron Hills...
    I hope to have both ready for submission, but will have one for sure....
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 pm  

Mempter, I encourage anyone with any idea on an Inn and or Tavern to submit their article for the postfest. Give us your take on it! Remember this is one way to show how you envision a piece of Greyhawk, and have it reviewed and critiqued as well as enjoyed by all here. I have not seen any submission from you previously, at least not any that I remember. Will this make you a postfest virgin? Good luck look forward to your submission.

Hey DLG,

Be careful those gnomes throw back some mean fungi-brews.

Later

Argon
    Forum Moderator

Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 am  

Mempter wrote:
    I was considering doing a writeup on The Wild Goose (of The World Serpent Inn fame). Whaddya guys think?

Go for it!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I'm splitting my efforts between a Shipwreck Cog off the coast of Safeton turned into a tavern by the local Sailors and a Gnome tavern in the Kron Hills...
    I hope to have both ready for submission, but will have one for sure....

My inn is in Pelgaryn, just north of Safeton. Wild Coast!!! Woohoo!!! Can't wait to see them.

I'm hoping we'll have a good crowd for this postfest. Yeah, I know I've been slack for awhile, but I'm going to try and submit every time from now on. Promise!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 pm  

I'll be writing up an inn in Blue, in the Pomarj...run by hobgoblins.
    Forum Moderator

Thu May 24, 2012 3:27 pm  

Good to see some ideas floating out there already. I'll try to submit to this too and I'll shake down folks in the chat for entries as well you can be sure.
    Paladin

Sat May 26, 2012 1:02 pm  

I was wanting to submit a layout, artwork, etc with my submission is this possible? and if so, how? as a separate attachment? or buried with in the Word doc?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat May 26, 2012 5:08 pm  

Images would need to be sent in separately. When everything is ready to go, PM me and I'll tell you where the images should be sent. In your submission, note where you want your pics to appear, such as:

paragraph............................................................................................
    ..........................................................................................................
    ..........................................................................................................
    .........................................................................................../paragraph

PUT "MAP OF INN #1" PIC HERE

paragraph............................................................................................
    .........................................................................................../paragraph

PUT "MAP OF INN #2" PIC HERE

You get the idea. Wink

Once the images are uploaded to the proper place, all I need do is send the links to mortellan. I'll have to see about getting him access to the image bin so we can skip that step (so I won't have to do anything). Razz

Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 pm  

We have an img bin? Razz
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun May 27, 2012 6:39 am  

Yes, and, after countless hours of work by myself, it is very, very organized. If somebody were to, say, screw it up...

Do you like ice cream, mort? Do you?

Evil Grin

Sun May 27, 2012 7:23 am  

Oh my God... Laughing so hard right now... Laughing
    Paladin

Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Images would need to be sent in separately.

Is there a preferred format? ie Jpeg, BMP, etc? File size limit?
    And Mort all that PURPLE Lightning Has caused Cebrion to learn to work alone..... all that not playing well with others stuff heheh
    But I guess that comes with the turf.... being the Demi-god of Enforcement Evil Grin
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun May 27, 2012 2:12 pm  

It is not that at all. Mort is one of a few people I have complete and utter faith in.

As to file format, any is fine, though a nice clear larger (1 meg) PNG file is best, as it gives us the opportunity to put a thumbnail link in the submission which leads to the larger image, because everybody likes images that are large and clear. Wink

Sun May 27, 2012 9:25 pm  

Such trust, such responsibility, what could go wrong? Good times! Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 29, 2012 1:53 pm  

Evil I have a idea for one Evil
    Forum Moderator

Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 am  

baronzemo wrote:
    Evil I have a idea for one Evil

I'll hold you to that dude! *cracks the whip*
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm  

Bump.
    How is everyone's writing progressing?

Get on the ball, folks!
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Bump.

Get on the ball, folks!

Wow, give a guy a little responsibility and he gets all uppity! I'd better put you back in your place, morty:

Two Ullites are building a house. One of them is putting on the siding. He picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another nail, throws it away. Picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another, throws it away.

After a while his friend comes over and asks him why he is throwing half of the nails away. He replies, "Those were pointed on the wrong end." His buddy gets exasperated and says "You idiot, those are for the other side of the house!"
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 am  

I know I promised an Inn from my campaign but I'm going to have to miss this one due to time constraints. Sorry, and looking forward to reading everyone else's.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    mortellan wrote:
    Bump.

Get on the ball, folks!

Wow, give a guy a little responsibility and he gets all uppity! I'd better put you back in your place, morty:

Two Ullites are building a house. One of them is putting on the siding. He picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another nail, throws it away. Picks up a nail, hammers it in. Picks up another, throws it away.

After a while his friend comes over and asks him why he is throwing half of the nails away. He replies, "Those were pointed on the wrong end." His buddy gets exasperated and says "You idiot, those are for the other side of the house!"

:P Har! Har! Uli however don't use nails for house building, they use nails for holding down prisoners.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm  

p.s. time is running out peeps. Who has anything to report?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 am  

Just submitted. The Diving Dragon Inn has featured IMC for some time. Never had a proper write up of it though. Situated in Rockport, a small town on the Eastern edge of Irongate territory, near the border with Naerie. Hope someone gets something out of reading it...
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm  

Awesome! Thanks Phalastar. Anyone else close to committing?
    Paladin

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm  

Count me for one for sure possibly two if I get some responses in time..
    One is a port of call tavern outside Safeton called "The Broken Rose" named after a Wrecked Cog turned tavern.
    The other is a Gnomish Gambling Hall in the Kron Hills. Was thinking near Luskan since it is close proximity to a mine. Still need more background on the Mine and Luskan area as well as a response from Cymraegmorgan if any know how to contact would be helpful. Was hoping to include (with credit) some of his games within my establishment if I get his response in time.
    DLG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 pm  

Whew! Finally got mine done!

Didn't get to add all the images I wanted due my hard drive crashing, but fortunately I had my maps done before then.

It's also why it took as long as it did, as I now have to share this computer with my wife until I get my desktop up and running. What also sucks about that is I had originally planned to post two submissions, but with my unforeseen difficulties didn't have time to devote to the second idea. Ah well...maybe the next time around.

Finally, I couldn't seem to be able to post my submission on this site (I use Firefox), so I sent it via email to the address that was posted (editors@canonfire.com) and I'm hoping it gets through. Let me know if you guys receive it, or have trouble with it so I can find an alternative means of getting it to you!
    Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:36 am  

Well done Mempter. I got everything I need.

Galen, Chevalier, Aeolius: If you need extra time let me know and I'll add you on the list toward the end, but otherwise the deadline has passed. Luckily we got a decent amount of entries to keep me busy this month.

Anyone else: If you slipped your mind and still want to post a tavern, let me know here within the next week or so. If not, there's always next time...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 pm  

Looks like people have outdone themselves. Some very nice entries which ought to be hitting the front page with a bang really soon.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 pm  

Okay. That seems to be all I got coming in. I will start posting these Thursday night. I guess one every few days. Not sure I remember how Cebrion released them. A few days sounds right though, don't want to keep people waiting.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm  

Every 2 days would be good.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:19 pm  

Pretty awesome Postfest, folks. Congrats to all who managed to get a submission in. Cool
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: