Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - GLoG was not loading (but is now back)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki
    GLoG was not loading (but is now back)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 05, 2012 12:56 am  
    GLoG was not loading (but is now back)

About 10 hours ago someone at the Flanaess Geographical Society (Facebook group) reported problems accessing an article on the wiki. Someone else replied that they could not access other pages.

It looks like the entire wiki is down, at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there planned maintenance?
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />

Last edited by bigmac on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:17 am; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 am  
    Re: GLoG is not loading

I got a reply about this on the Canonfire group on Facebook:

Icarus at Facebook wrote:
    I was talking to Gary about it Thursday night (Apirl 3rd) at Greychat. I pointed out to him that I was getting a "Parse Error" message, and shortly thereafter, the main Great Library link on the front page was out, too.
    Gary said that the site was really buggy and screwy that night, and intimated that he was putting work to straightening it out.

Looks like GLoG has been down for longer than I thought.

Good luck fixing it Gary.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 08, 2012 2:49 pm  

I just pm'd Gary. I'll post when I hear back from him.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 20, 2012 10:17 am  

Folks, I still haven't heard back from Gary--not sure what's going on. I haven't been to the GreyChats for awhile, but I'll try to make it to the next one & see if he's there.
    Forum Moderator

Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 am  

Rob, last week I chatted with him and he said the data is safe but he can't seem to get the wiki to reload or somesuch. I hope you know more of the technical snafus of wikis. He seems vexed by this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 22, 2012 2:47 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Rob, last week I chatted with him and he said the data is safe but he can't seem to get the wiki to reload or somesuch. I hope you know more of the technical snafus of wikis. He seems vexed by this.

The Library of Lokil (the MediaWiki hosted by Scarn.com) also went down and the admin couldn't get the wiki to talk to the database.

That has been down since December 2010. I hope that GLoG can be fixed faster. Perhaps something in the MediaWiki Technical Manual can help identify the problem. The Manual has an Frequently Asked Questions section that might include a fix for this.

There is an Errors and symptoms page in the manual, a section that gives advice on debugging errors with MediaWiki that might help localise the problem and a page that lists a few places to search for/ask for help if none of that works.

As someone who is admin on another wiki, that I'm currently hosting on Wikia but wish to move to an independent server, I'd be interested in finding out what has caused the problem with GLoG (and helping if I can).

BTW: I'm signed up to WikiIndex (which is a wiki about other wikis and what they do) and perhaps there might be some other wiki admins there that are interested in helping troubleshoot the problem.

EDIT: Another place I found (via the Wikimedia Forum was the Project:Support desk page at the MediaWiki wiki.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 23, 2012 3:41 pm  

It looks like Gary is making progress on fixing the GLoG. A quick glace shows that pics still aren't loading, & anyone seems to be able to create an account, which means the spammers have returned. Hopefully, it won't be that way for long.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 am  
    GLoG is back

Robbastard wrote:
    It looks like Gary is making progress on fixing the GLoG. A quick glace shows that pics still aren't loading, & anyone seems to be able to create an account, which means the spammers have returned. Hopefully, it won't be that way for long.

I'm glad to see that GLoG is back.

I'm not too keen on the new look, but I'm glad you can turn it back in the preferences.

I hope that a lot of non-spammers took the opportunity to set up accounts, so that they can do small edits to fix typos and so on.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm  

So, one has to have a login, to change the appearance back to the old (legible) style? How does one do that? To be honest, white text on a patterned background hurts my eyes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 am  

Aeolius wrote:
    So, one has to have a login, to change the appearance back to the old (legible) style? How does one do that? To be honest, white text on a patterned background hurts my eyes.

As per the Editing permissions for the Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki sticky, you need to ask PSmedger to give you an account over there. (The wiki was locked down to stop attacks by spammers.)

I think that sending him an email, might be faster than using the PM system on the forum. (But don't forget to mention who you are on the forums, so he can check your details, if he needs to.)

Once you have a login ID, you can go into the settings and change the default style. Ask again, if you need help with that.

Good luck![/list]
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: