JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - You have drawn ... The Key
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    You have drawn ... The Key
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am  
    You have drawn ... The Key

I subjected my party of newbies to the terror of the Deck of Many Things last night.

I'd forgotten how much of a headache it was!

One of the players drew The Key and promptly received a treasure map. Rather than being cruel and make it a map to their own backback with the loot stashed within I thought it would be fun to make a possible adventure out of it.

Do you folks know off hand of any existing treasure-hunt style modules or ones that start with a map that could be suitable? I'm not worried about level at this point as it can always be something for the future.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm  

Check out "The Moor Tomb Map" in Dungeon magazine #13. It's a 1st edition adventure for levels 2-4. I had a lot of fun putting my players through this one.

Just a suggestion,
    Dane
    GreySage

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:53 pm  

The Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth. Hands down. Let them have "fun" in the Yatil Mtns first, followed by a really nasty, dangerous dungeon crawl filled with monsters and a particularly deadly guardian...or two...or three... protecting Iggwilv's treasure trove.

There IS even a partial map mentioned that is given to the PCs at the beginning of the module (this could be what your PCs have 'drawn' instead of given to them by the Margrave of Bissel, etc.).

One of my all time favorite classic modules.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 pm  

Hmmm....

Maybe we should know the level, class and number of the party. Wink Laughing
    GreySage

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm  
    Re: You have drawn ... The Key

Wolfling wrote:
    Do you folks know off hand of any existing treasure-hunt style modules or ones that start with a map that could be suitable? I'm not worried about level at this point as it can always be something for the future.

The Lost Caverns is for levels 6-10. If your PCs are traveling overland, side adventures could easily get them to the minimum 6th lvl needed, and/or NPCs could fill whatever vacancies that may be needed (or bolster their existing ranks).

Great adventure. I have run it twice, once as a novice DM, and more recently as a more seasoned DM. Loved it both times. For the record, I don't think either party ever claimed the 'treasure.' Evil Grin

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm  

Other possibilities include The Ghost Tower of Inverness and White Plume Mountain, and both locations are within 'easy' reach of your party's current location at the Temple of Elemental Evil. The Tower is located just beyond Hardby while the Mtn is in Riftcanyon near the Bandit Lands. The former is for levels 5-7 while the latter is in the 5-10 range.

But, I still gotta fondness for 'the Caverns.' Evil Grin I cast my vote for that.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm  

I agree that the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth works well as a treasure map adventure. Lanthorn also beat me to suggesting White Plume Mountain as the adventures are given a poem/riddle (rather than a map) and sent off in search of powerful magical items.

Now, I'll recommend Fiend's Embrace, from Dungeon Magazine #121. It sends PCs of about 4th level into the Cold Marshes in search of a powerful cloak that once belonged to Iggwilv herself. It even features a map of a portion of the Cold Marshes for the players.

Or you could send them to the Isle of Dread. Talk about a treasure map! Maybe it purports to lead to the mother of all black pearls Evil Grin

If you have access to the adventure cards from the City of Greyhawk boxed set, there are a few that would lend themselves well to a treasure map style and they are short side treks. Specifically, The Griffon Hunt (7th level)and The Dead of the Howling Hills (3rd level).

Or, the map could lead them to a mystical land called Barovia wherein lies a magical sword of immense power...

If you really want to set them on the path of an epic dungeon crawl, have the map lead them to the Greyhawk Ruins. This initial map leads them to something of value on one of the upper levels. When they find it, they also discover another clue leading them deeper into the ruins after another treasure somehow tied to the first, and so on.

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 am  

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I feel spoiled for choice!

I need to decide about whether the map should take them on an epic adventure or a sidequest. AN epic adevnture would be...well...more epic but I don't want to sidetrack them from finishing the ToEE. A sidequest might be better in that regards. Hmmm decisions decisions! I'll let you know what I settle on!

Another player drew The Throne giving him a small keep. Rather than make it tooo easy I figured there's a sidequest to be had there too. I was thinking the first part of "Castle Caldwell & Beyond". A little low level for the party (they range from 5 - 7 right now) but still a fun diversion.

Unfortunately my beloved foul-mouthed gnome npc and henchman candidate drew the Donjon Shocked - I think he may turn up in one of the Elemental Nodes - or maybe at the location of the teasure map or keep!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:56 am  

Very much don't just give them stuff, but don't necessarily make it too hard for them to get either. The treasure map can just be found, as it is not guarantee of getting the treasure easily.

The keep is actually awarded to the PC, so to speak, but you should still make a point of the character having to do something to get it. The only difference here is that fate just seems to be on side of the PC, such that every possible bit of luck that can go the PC's way does.

For example, the PCs "just happen" to run into a caravan that has been ambushed by bandits, and the last guard has been wounded when the PCs arrive. The bandits have torn open a carriage and extricated an older man, who tries to defend himself with a sword. The old man is wounded before the PCs can kill/drive off the bandits, but he is okay, as is his remaining guard. The old man thanks them for their assistance, and invites the PCs to partake of his humble hospitality...*at his keep not too far away*. Ghe reaming guard is thealst sefant of this elderly lord, and a low level fighter perhaps. Well, the old lord has no heirs, and his nearest neighbor (also a minor lord) is a bastard (it is he who hired the bandits to ambush the old man). Knowing that upon his death the neighbor will likely absorb his property into his own, and being wise to the machinations of his neighbor, the old mans "just happens" to name the PC as his heir, thinking that the PC will be the biggest thorn in his neighbor's side (and the PC should be, so the DM can set things up to be just that way by writing it up that way). Hey, the PC gets a keep. That doesn't mean that there won't be some cons to the pro. At lest I would add a warrior servant to keep an eye on the place in the PC's absence should they choose to travel abroad. Of course the PC may not wish to leave for bit, seeing as there could be problems to deal with locally now, and the other PCs might be more than willing to help out with them.

The Deck of Many Things surely has has launched many a side-trek, in many a campaign. Cool

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:34 am  

He drew the Keep? That's perfect! Happy

On the recommendation of Rufus and Burne, the Viscount is happy to award the Moathouse to the PC as it was he and his companions that cleared it of monsterous threats to the nearby countryside. Since it was originally built by the servants of the Temple of EE, there are no legitimate claims to worry about. Of course, a minor noble title should accompany the land grant. Secondly, the Viscount of Verbobonc and the authorities in Hommlet want the PCs to have a reason to stay in the are - especially to be sure they finish cleaning out the ToEE. Thus, by awarding title to the Moathouse to the PC, the Viscounty gets some powerful personages to guard their border. If a town springs up, more taxes mean a greater boon to the viscounty. Happy

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 am  

Both great ideas - Like you SirX I thought that the Moathouse would make a great choice - but in the end I decided that it was TOO logical for the chaotic Deck plus I wanted somewhere new, I felt that the PCs had earned the right already to ask for the Moathouse (also the PC who drew the card joined AFTER the MOathouse part so had no part in its clearance).

I have another Deck question. Ruin robs the PC of all wealth - does this include magic items? I initially felt no because they are not specifically mentioned (I think they would have if that was the intent) plus the Talons seems to cover the loss of magic items.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    . . . a minor noble title should accompany the land grant.

Title? Well, maybe a Knighthood, or possibly a Baronetcy. A "Baronet" -- in the Real World -- is a "life title," meaning that the children do not inherit it.

I wouldn't grant more than that to the PC unless, and until, the Temple itself is completely cleaned out and reconsecrated, thus hallowing the ground to ensure that "evil" does not return.

Something of that epic a nature might get a full Barony for the PC. That title could be inherit by future children. Wink

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm  

Heh I'm not sure that a noble title is on the cards for the PCs yet, especially as they aren't very heroic ... or noble!

The Keep has raised a number of other questions for me that I could do to consult all of yor combined wisdoms over.

I've roughly estimated the monthly upkeep of the keep at 200gp (1% of a very rough estimation the keep cost 20,000gp to build going by 1st ed rules). That is for a keep devoid of inhabitants though.

If the PC wants guards, a steward, a cook, a smith, servants - it will rapidly cost him. On top of that are him own monthly costs (100gp / level) and those of his henchman.

My thoughts are as follows;

i)suggest that he charges the other PCs 'rent' towards the upkeep as they all benefit from having a safe place.

ii)Have the keep dusty, in need to TLC and requiring the PC spend money to 'make it nice'

iii) locate the keep in neutral land so that they dont have to get caught up in the legal matters of owning a fortification and requiring a right to crenellate etc. I thought perhaps by an old abandoned village. If the PCs make the area safer and attract new villagers they can charge their own tax, of course if they are remiss in their duties the peasants may revolt ... or at least refuse to pay.

Obviously I want the keep to involve a bit of an adventure, as we've discussed already but how would you handle the details once the keep was securely in the player's hands?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:15 am  

A couple more possibilities...

"Keep for Sale" in a Dungeon #79 is perfect for a first-time stronghold owner and would fit well on the Wild Coast. The scenario would need some adjustment for your party (levels 1-3). The sea-side keep is very modest and needs some repair.

"The Shroud of Karyne" in WGR2 is a sixth-level sidetrek that starts with a randomly-found treasure map to the Cairn Hills.
    Paladin

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:14 pm  

or good ole B2 the keep on the border lands.. though if memory serves was located elsewhere....
    GreySage

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:49 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    "Keep for Sale" in a Dungeon #79 is perfect . . .

Is that anything like "Magic Kingdom for Sale?" Confused Laughing

I had to look that up, once you mentioned it, and I must say that . . . I LIKE IT!

It even has a berth for my Cog and Knarr! Too cool!

Thanks for pointing that out, Vestcoat! Cool Happy

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    A couple more possibilities...

"Keep for Sale" in a Dungeon #79 is perfect for a first-time stronghold owner and would fit well on the Wild Coast. The scenario would need some adjustment for your party (levels 1-3). The sea-side keep is very modest and needs some repair.

"The Shroud of Karyne" in WGR2 is a sixth-level sidetrek that starts with a randomly-found treasure map to the Cairn Hills.

Vestcoat, you are clearly representing The Vizier card for me hehe. Funnily enough it occurred to me to check the Treasures of Greyhawk module and "The Shroud of Karyne" was exactly the adventure I settled on! Great minds must think alike hehe! I'm making a couple of tweaks to make it fit into my vision of the history of the region. I think it was set before the Gnomish Migrations south which where around -700CYish and contemporary with the Occluded Empire of Vecna so I'm making the evil lord a vassal of Kas as Tycheron was supposedly around Dyvers and making the names sound a little more archaic and Flan.

Also your recommendation of "Keep for Sale" is a really good one. The keep is humble but perfectly adequate for a 6th level character and with the coastal location can still easilly fit into a number of suitable locations for my campaign.

So, thanks!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: