ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I need "Idees" about Idee
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    I need "Idees" about Idee
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:25 am  
    I need "Idees" about Idee

Happy

Sorry for the really cheesy topic line. As most 'hawker's know there are large sections of the Greyhawk millieu that are undeveloped in the canon material. I am looking for thoughts about Idee, as one example.

The references I have been able to locate are sparse and other then the series of fortresses to the north of the ex-province and iron-league member, what is the geography like? What about previouds history and sites of interest?

Anyone got any thoughts or creative ideas? I would welcome them.

Thanks for reading.

Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:38 pm  

Hey, I saw this post last night and noticed it hadn't received a reply...

I believe that response was nonexistent because I don't know anyone who ever treated Idee. Ivid and the LGG provide the most information beyond the old WoG boxed set (and of course a lil bit in FtA. The only folks who have marginally touched this state of the Flanaess are the Onnwal Triad. Also, on Greytalk, Creighton Broadhurst posted a bit from Paul Looby, aka Woesinger and Paul Redmond, who responded to a post by Gary Holian, iirc, regarding a certain duke, whose noble family apparently had holding in both Onnwal and Idee. I can't find the post immediately, so either check the GT Archives, email the Onnwal POC, or read the GH Wars boxed set, where the duke -- Coriell? -- is named.

Also, if you don't have access to the WoG boxed set, then let us know, and we can post some 411 from its description of Idee. As I recall, Idee was reknowned for its cavalry. Xavener used cavalry to o'erwhelm the savage armies of the Scarlet Brotherhood too, iirc.

Hope it helps!

PS - Look at the globe and see if there are any stretches of coast at that latitude... I don't know enough about the histories of Africa, South America or India to help!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:02 pm  
    Thank you!

Yes, that certainly does help. Smile

I have access to the boxed set and the 1E Gazetteer, FTA and the the 3E Gaz as well, so some of what you have given me is readily available.

I'll take a stroll through the archives over christmas and see what I can unearth.

Thanks again.

Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:31 am  

This is taken from an article from Dragon Magazine (#57 I think):

Idee: Fedorik Eddri, Count of Idee, has developed the trade of his realm to a point where the populace are prosper-ous and happy. Perhaps more revenues should have been expended in fortifica-tion, however, for the line of strongholds along the northern border of Idee are not fully manned and not in perfect repair.
    The action to the east in 577 lulled Count Fedorik into a sense of safety, and it wasn't until the next year, when Herzog Chelor took the field, that Idee was called upon to ready itself for full-scale warfare. Veterans were recalled to bring the standing army up to full strength, and the militia was also called up -mostly to man and repair border posts. When the Provincials began to advance southward, it was the Dwarfking Holgi Hirsute who took to the field with his troops, for Fedorik was able to send only
    6,000 men against the invaders. King Holgi chased the Provincials back, but a rift developed between the Count and the Dwarfking.
    At the close of CY 578, the army of Count Fedorik was composed as follows:
    1,000 heavy horse
    2,000 medium horse
    1,000 light horse (mercenary)
    3,000 regular infantry
    2,000 mercenary infantry
    5,000 levied infantry (60% hillmen)
    It is expected that only about 2,000 dwarves -- and possibly half that number of gnomes - will join the Count, since King Holgi has refused to leave the Iron Hills. Fedorik refuses to retract his state-ment that the Dwarfking's long beard caused the dwarven contingent to move so slowly against Herzog Chelor, for the Count's own troops were mauled when the dwarves were late in arriving during the pursuit of the retreating Provincials. There is no question but what the de-fending army of the Iron League will be badly outnumbered due to the rupture, but the Iron Hills are still relatively se-cure against invasion even though Holgi Hirsute stands separately from the allies.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:27 am  

Thank you Rineglade! That is definitely an excellent start. Happy

Does anyone have any home-brew ideas regarding stuff like town names, political divisions or sites of interest? I'm open to pretty much anything, so long as it doesn;t have the place being taken over by space aliens...

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:53 am  

MTG wrote:
    Also, if you don't have access to the WoG boxed set, then let us know, and we can post some 411 from its description of Idee. As I recall, Idee was reknowned for its cavalry. Xavener used cavalry to o'erwhelm the savage armies of the Scarlet Brotherhood too, iirc.

That's something I'd certainly be interested in. I'm one of the Naerie Triad in the Living Greyhawk campaign, but must embarassingly admit that I know next to nothting about Greyhawk history! The other guy has been covering the history side so far but real life has interferred and so I think I should get myself up to speed. I was thinking about going through RPG.Now and grabbing some of the pdf's. Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Paul Bendall
    CF Admin

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:17 pm  

Hey Takei. Rhineglade posted some good stuff. If you want more on Idee, I suggest "going to the source." Buy the PDF of the 1983 WoG boxed set. Your brethren in the Onnwal Triad have also written some about Idee since GH Wars (and a bit in FtA?) mentioned a certain duke (Coriell, iirc), who was mentione as owning land in both Onnwal and Idee.

We discussed this a bit on Greytalk too. I suggest searching for "Coriell" -- I see a bit in Feb. 2002 and a lil in Sept. 2001.

PAX!
    Novice

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:21 am  
    Naerie

Thanks MTG. I'll go searching and take a trip over to RPG.Now.

Cheers
    Paul
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:37 pm  

A quick note to Takei: If you are interested in coresponding a bit, I would enjoy developing my map in conjunction with whatever geography and history you put together fro your triad. Since Idee and Naerie have so little developed for them, there is a lot of freedom for creativity.

I also do some cartography, as mentioned earlier in the thread and would love to help develop things on that end. It would help me get my mapping information and your triad would have more detail for its area. I had some ideas of my own about Idee (which may or may not be useful to the triad) since I was of the belief that I would have to create this area from scratch for my map set.

PM or e-mail through CF if any of this interestes you.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: