ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Oriental Adventures in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Oriental Adventures in Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:18 pm  
    Oriental Adventures in Greyhawk

Hi All,
    I was wondering if there was a location on Oerth where there was an Oriental Adventure type of setting. I know Kara Tur is in Forgotten Realms, though I heard rumor that it was supposed to be in Greyhawk originally. Rokugan is its own setting. If there isn't can anyone suggest a possible location?

Thanks
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:32 pm  

Well, there's the Island of Nippon (and its colonies) and the Dragon Empire...

Neither was ever detailed, so you can do almost anything you like... Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:06 am  
    Re: Oriental Adventures in Greyhawk

Tgsantini wrote:
    I know Kara Tur is in Forgotten Realms, though I heard rumor that it was supposed to be in Greyhawk originally.

Yes, Kara-Tur was destined for Greyhawk but got re-routed to the Realms.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:36 am  

Baggins, if it was originally destined for Greyhawk are there any references to Greyhawk left in, or did the editors replace them all?

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:15 am  
    The Island of Nippon and the Dragon Empire

Since neither of these were published by TSR/WoTC did anybody do any write ups on these?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:45 pm  

Yabusama wrote:
    Baggins, if it was originally destined for Greyhawk are there any references to Greyhawk left in, or did the editors replace them all?

When OA for 1st Ed. AD&D was released, the small section that described Kara-Tur in the back was envisioned to be for Oerth. There is no reference to Oerth or the Greyhawk campaign, however. I think they wanted it to be generic at this stage, plus the setting was just an outline at this stage.

When a more detailed development of the setting commenced, however, it was decided to place it in the more popular Realms. Plus EGG was leaving TSR at this stage.

I've definitely read this stuff somewhere but can't place it. It's not just rumor.

Sorry I don't have any more details.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:07 pm  

Hello All,

I remember buying OA 1st ed and other than making me feel really old, I was slammed with a flood of good memories. OA was a great book; rich in detail and offered so much. Now THAT BOOK WAS A QUALITY BOOK! Happy

Dwarf from Nyrond
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:16 pm  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:

OA was a great book; rich in detail and offered so much. Now THAT BOOK WAS A QUALITY BOOK!

Dwarf from Nyrond

It was a great book in general, but it was missing an essential quality: the dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, and humanoids that make Greyhawk what it is. Without the demihumans and humanoids, it just wasn't...Greyhawk. Along with the matters of shades of grey, limited numbers of magic items and high-level characters, and other such niceties, I've always viewed the worldwide geographic distribution of demihumans as another Greyhawk essential. Humans do not occupy any given land by themselves; just as humanity is spread around the world, with each branch of humanity having its own cultural differences, so too are the demihumans, who have their own cultural variations depending on where they are in the world.

Frankly, I'm glad that Kara-Tur was given to FR; without Oriental dwarves, halflings, goblins, trolls, etc., it would just never have fitted into Greyhawk.
    <div align="left">Going to war without Keoland is like going to war without a pipe organ.&nbsp; They both make a lot of noise and they're both a lot of dead weight, so what's the point in taking them along?&nbsp;</div>
    CF Admin

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:02 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    Quote:
    It was a great book in general, but it was missing an essential quality: the dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, and humanoids that make Greyhawk what it is. Without the demihumans and humanoids, it just wasn't...Greyhawk.

I dont think having elves on every continent makes it Greyhawk either. In the orginal OA along with the new one humanity lives next to spirit folk, korobokuru and hengeyokai as well as other hostile races.

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    Quote:
    I've always veiwed the worldwide geographic distribution of demihumans as another Greyhawk essential.

While thats a personal veiw I dont think thats enough alone to pass on OA/Oriental Setting in GH. Indeed it seems rather limiting on what GH is and thats a sad thing when GH becomes so hidebound and rigid that only a limited veiw can be had with playing under its banner. While its good to pick and choose such things that a DM cant or wont use in their campaign its also worth looking at things that expand and enrich a game overall and for me at least OA has done that.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: