Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Changing Effects of Illusions...1 Spell or More?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Changing Effects of Illusions...1 Spell or More?
    GreySage

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:39 am  
    Changing Effects of Illusions...1 Spell or More?

Got into a discussion/debate about the flexibility that a single illusion spell (of the Phantasmal Force variety) grants the caster.

For instance, will one casting allow the mage to create multiple effects? Or does this require the use of more than one spell?

I've read the descriptions of the spells, and they don't seem to give me any guidance other than to state what can or cannot be generated. But nothing is mentioned as to the flexibility that these spells permit if the caster chooses to create multiple, on-going effects.

I did stumble on a Dragon Magazine article (I think it's Issue 135) entitled "Hold on to Your Illusion!" that states that changing effects requires more than a single casting, but couldn't find anything 'canon' in writing.

Here's an example:

A wizard uses Spectral Force to create a believable image of a Fireball to toast enemies. Does the spell allow the mage to take the existing flames from the illusionary Fireball and sculpt them, say, into a subsequent Wall of Fire, or Fire Elemental, or raging fire storm?

Since this example surrounds the concept of fire magic, perhaps. But what if this same mage first used an illusionary Fireball, then had an illusionary Lightning Bolt streak from the heavens?

Could an illusionist have his/her 'false' orc soldiers, when slain, suddenly rise from the dead as zombies to continue the fight?

You get my meaning.

Just wondering how flexible these spells are. I can see the huge potential for abuse, but at the same time, you don't want to straight-jacket them either.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:54 pm  

Phantasmal force is only about a single illusion, not illusions plural. As such, the only example you have which is a single illusion is the example of orcs being killed and then rising as zombies. That is still the same illusion, and it is just being altered. In many cases though, the raising could automatically allow a saving throw to disbelieve if nobody is obviously doing the raising.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: