Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 am
Hold of Stonefist
by David Leonard
DMs that wish to campaign in the Hold of Stonefist have options. There is very little written on its history, even less about its culture. Inspiration for play in the Stonefist may be found in Dr. Zhivago (film), the legend of Baba Yaga, and the myth of the black serpent Czernobog.
A hard land breeds a hard people, and the land of the Fists is a very hard land, indeed. Cradled between the Icy Sea and the Griff Mountains, it is a cold land of rivers lakes and bogs, where winter reigns six months of the year. Nevertheless, in tune with their stoic spirit, they adapted and the Dog and Reindeer made life possible, as had the sled and the canoe, and more recently, the kayak; the Horse, less so, and only to the furthest west.
Cut off from the rest of civilization, it is a dangerous place where only the strong survive and where surrounding powers watch with great concern. It was conquered by a bandit who, after slaughtering its Coltens host, remade the land in his own image. It is a simple, savage, and superstitious land. They have their tradesmen: Farmers, as noted, miners, merchants, and smiths.
Country specific resources:
Dragon magazine #57
WGS1 The Five Shall Be One; WGS2 Howl From the North; WGR5 Iuz the Evil
The Nightmare Realm of Baba Yaga, Adventure Gamebook #8
Adventures in the country include:
- WGS2 Howl From the North; The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga
- The biannual Rite of Battle Fitness
- Adventures in the Forlorn and Hraak forests
- Adventures on the Icy Sea
- Raiding into the Barrens
- Border skirmishes with the Cruski, Fruztii, and Ratik; defense against Barbarian invasions.
- Dungeon delves into Ur-Flan and dwarven ruins
Adventures in nearby areas include:
- WGS1 The Five Shall Be One; WGR5 Iuz the Evil; The Sharm’s Dark Song, Dungeon #87; Raiders of the Black Ice, Dungeon #115; C13 From His Cold, Dead Hands, by Carlos Lising, casl Entertainment, 2019
- Exploration of Iceland to the north
- Expedition to Blackmoor
- Clashes and war with the Rovers of the Barrens, the Zeai and the Cruski.
- Raids into Tenh, Ratik, and Fruztii.
- Trade with Blackmoor and the Bandit Kingdoms
- Exploration of the Rift Valley
Richard Di Ioia (aka Longetalos)
Last edited by Longetalos on Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total