Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
by Daniel "Galtanis" Acuff
The Kingdom of Sunndi offers a great deal for new and veteran DMs to include in their campaigns. Terrain includes highlands, mountains, dense forests, plains, river lands and deltas. Sunndi is also the “jumping off point” for entering the Vast Swamp, should adventurers wish to test their mettle against the horrors within. There are lead-ins for military, infiltration and subterfuge, political intrigue, and diplomacy campaigns, as well as numerous zones to encounter monsters, zealots, and cultists.
Sunndi is currently a monarchy. Olvenking Hazendel, a gray elf noble, occupies the throne. He has strong support from the gray elves of the Rieuwood and the humans of the kingdom. Dwarves in Sunndi will claim neutrality but will fight side by side with their countrymen when the Kingdom is threatened. Halflings and gnomes are also present in the kingdom but are not generally seen in the larger human and elven towns. Half-elves are rare within the kingdom, most often found near the Menowood.
Sunndi is surrounded by enemies and threats; Ahlissa to the north, the followers of Wastri in the south, and to the far south comes the subtle threat of the Scarlet Brotherhood.
Country Specific Resources:
Tomb of Horrors (S1)
Return to the Tomb of Horrors
Adventures in this country include:
- The military is pre-occupied, leading to increased bandit attacks on trade routes. Discover if the bandits are just that, or if Ahlissa is attempting to disrupt trade routes and why.
- Giant kin have recently begun moving down out of the hollow highlands. A campaign to push them back could lead to the discovery what is driving them from their ancestral homelands.
- During the Greyhawk Wars, an orcish brigade of Ivid’s forces retreated into the Hestmark Highlands, making it their new home. They have been blamed for recent attacks in the area.
- Followers of Wastri are organizing a cyclical incursion into Sunndi from the south. Discover what is behind these incursions and if they serve a more strategic purpose.
- A Lord-Knight recently visited his estate. He departed the estate on time; however, he returned to Court a fortnight later than expected. The security of the Kingdom could be at risk!
- There is no shortage of rumors regarding the Glorioles Mountains. An ancient dwarven city hiding riches beyond compare, dragons inhabiting the peaks, giant kin, and many more.
Adventures in nearby areas include:
- The infamous Tomb of Horrors (S1) is located in The Vast Swamp.
- The Vast Swamp offers numerous possibilities for new and creative DMs interested in building a swamp-based campaign. It is mostly unexplored, and includes monsters, cultists & zealots.
- If high seas adventures are of interest, Sunndi has two great options for start points: Dullstrand in the east, or either Naerie City or Stormhaven in the west.
- Ahlissa contains no shortage of possibilities for a great campaign. It includes extensive geopolitical concerns and offerings as the number of enemies Ahlissa has made grows.
- Sunndi provides overland access to the Tilvanot Peninsula where the Suloise nation of Shar is found; many ancient secrets can be found in this xenophobic land.
Sunndi offers a wide range of possibilities for DMs to create robust story lines and interesting tie-ins to several historical events of Oerth. This is a young Kingdom and as such there are many forces attempting to ensure it fails. Olvenking Hazendel needs adventurers to rise up and help ensure the survival of the Kingdom!
Richard Di Ioia (aka Longetalos)
Last edited by Longetalos on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:08 am; edited 8 times in total