JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Suel Migration into Zindia
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Suel Migration into Zindia
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 pm  
    The Suel Migration into Zindia

Zindia. Terrible name, but possibly a great place to adventure outside the Flanaess. Enjoy!

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-suel-migration-into-zindia.html

Joe / GG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:37 pm  

A suel migration/invasion of the area after the RoCF would be logical (be as refugges or conquerors). Also, playing in a mythical fantasy NOTIndia looks also very fun. I can not think of any D&D product right now that covers that, outside the "Arrows of Indra" setting by the RPG Pundit.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:19 am  

It might be a more appropriate adventure than at first realized; I hope I'm not stepping on any historical toes (and I appreciate being corrected), but my impression of the Suel—based on history, appearance, and personality—was as a sort of cross between the real-world Aryan people and the Nazi ideal of the Aryan people…

…and if I remember correctly the historical Aryan descended south into Indian lands, as either conquerors or migrants (though I believe they all sort of just merged together into one northern group in the end).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:19 pm  
    6 years later...

I have always disliked the Zindia/Jahind/Mulwar/Changol lands of Greyhawk.

I am starting a new campaign where The PC's are shipwrecked on the coast (Kathi, from Anna's maps). They find a thriving land with Oeridians and Suel, called the Suel Empire in Exile. Two minor Suel houses, Opell and Ulmar, who fled the Imperium in 4117 S.D. during the War of Purity fled the original Suel Imperium.

Learning from the mistakes of their brethren, this empire is thriving even though they are assaulted by legions of humanoid armies to the west and from giantkind to the northwest. Because of their previous history this empire has tried to remain isolationist and benevolent. With increased naval activity on their coasts it is not long until they are brought back into the politics of the world.

I am trying to develop this more and any help would be greatful.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:22 pm  

I find it hard to believe that the Suel, or some of such did not branch to the west. On Anna's maps there is a great pass in the mountains for the Houses to have left the Imperium proper to the south and east.
    CF Admin

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:56 pm  

Physcor_Whelm wrote:

Hi Physcor_Whelm. Why have you disliked these lands?

I've not used them but have been intrigued by Gygax's original mentions of them in Sea of Death (1987) and fans' / later authors' developments of that area. Treatments by Iquander and Tal Meta come to mind. Compare, Erik Mona, "Beyond the Flanaess: Bounds of Oerth," Oerth Journal #26 (Oct. 2011), at pgs. 3–11; with Tal Meta, Sunela, The Suloise Empire-in-Exile.

Do you dislike both of these treatments? Tal Meta's Sunelan Coast seems resonant with what you've sketched.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:16 am  

mtg wrote:
    Physcor_Whelm wrote:

Hi Physcor_Whelm. Why have you disliked these lands?

I've not used them but have been intrigued by Gygax's original mentions of them in Sea of Death (1987) and fans' / later authors' developments of that area. Treatments by Iquander and Tal Meta come to mind. Compare, Erik Mona, "Beyond the Flanaess: Bounds of Oerth," Oerth Journal #26 (Oct. 2011), at pgs. 3–11; with Tal Meta, Sunela, The Suloise Empire-in-Exile.

Do you dislike both of these treatments? Tal Meta's Sunelan Coast seems resonant with what you've sketched.

Thanks mtg. I found other articles on Osbyle and Zophon and the map of the Sunelian coast. Of course, Tal Meta ignores the 1996 map and Zindia. But a compromise can be interesting: the Suloise invaded Zindia like the British India, creating an empire. Zindia became independent after the Rain of Fire, but Suloise influence remains strong in the major cities and ports along the coast.
    Likewise, there was a westward expansion unknown to us to this day.
    And the Scarlet Brotherhood seeks to form alliances for its Invisible Empire.
    Jacques
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: