Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    It's here....VISIONS
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:07 pm  
    It's here....VISIONS

https://canonfire.greyparticle.com/visionsofgreyhawk/

Here it is, guys!

-Norker
    The zine has transitioned to a new online home with a new name and numbering. The next (first under new title) issue will be out on time, in DEC 2023.

Check out https://thegreygrimoire1.wordpress.com/

Submissions go to thegreygrimoire@gmail.com.

Gary Holian, formerly consulting editor on the zine, is retaining the name 'Visions of Greyhawk' for his own use in future CF projects.

You won't see further updates about our zine on this site. For news, check the WordPress Site listed above. You can also see posts about our zine on GHO, at The Piazza UK, and other places where GH fans gather.

Last edited by FormerlyKnownasNorker on Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:16 am  

Bravo !
    CF Admin

Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:34 pm  

Downloading it now, thanks!

Evan---I had an inquiry on my blog about Visions, wasn't sure if you had any thoughts in response to their question?: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2023/04/greyhawk-news-you-can-use-in-month-of-planting.html

Allan.

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:50 pm  

So exciting! Can't wait to start reading it!
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:09 pm  

:applause:
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:28 pm  

Great stuff!!! Thanks to all the contributors!
    Sage of Canonfire

Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:43 am  

Allan,

First off, Hail to the Oerth Journal, 28 years and counting, long may it continue.

As to the question, I think there is more than enough fan material to sustain two or more journals dedicated to the setting. The idea behind Visions is that it will be swifter, less polished (perhaps), and will be the main vehicle for what used to constitute mainline lore articles on CF. It will also rely purely on fair use (as does Canonfire) and will never charge money for the content. Its open to any edition (or no edition) as is CF.

Our goal is to publish your submissions as quickly as possible.

I cannot speak for the Oerth Journal, but I could imagine it being the prestige vehicle for fan authors who want more time, editing, and polish. Though these days, polish is a lot cheaper to come by!

Anyway, if anyone has any more questions, post away.

-Gary
    Sage of Canonfire

Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:34 am  

Kirt, so glad to see you are still around!

One of the eldest of the Greytalkers, still walking the earth, when so many have crossed the veil of Realinor.

Working on any projects? ::hint:: ::hint::

-Gary
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:40 pm  

Kudos to all the authors and to the staff behind producing this zine. Keep the Greyhawk flag flying!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:22 am  

Nice work! Design is great. Editing looked really good and the substance is really interesting.

Thought Knights of Eventide was particularly choice.
    CF Admin

Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:41 am  

A couple initial comments:

The examples in Samwise's Appendix N: Kingdom Rules are hilarious. (I still can't decide if I best like his depictions of Thrommel or Tenser.)

Also, I greatly enjoyed Gary's Panzos the Cruel, am thinking about how to incorporate the Murky Rake into my campaign, and look forward to reading his further works on Port Toli!
    Sage of Canonfire

Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 am  

Marc,

Originally the plan was to publish both together, which would have been more synergistic. But we wanted to get the issue out on time. Port Toli will have a lot more lore about the god and the rake. There will be a series of articles on the Sea Princes, if you have anything to spin off from your campaign, let us know!

-Gary
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:40 pm  

mtg wrote:
    A couple initial comments:

The examples in Samwise's Appendix N: Kingdom Rules are hilarious. (I still can't decide if I best like his depictions of Thrommel or Tenser.)

Also, I greatly enjoyed Gary's Panzos the Cruel, am thinking about how to incorporate the Murky Rake into my campaign, and look forward to reading his further works on Port Toli!

I am glad you like them. Norker asked me to add some Greyhawk-based examples. I was not sure, but as I thought about it, they pretty much wrote themselves.

And I agree about Panzos. I was in the process of writing out a bunch of powers for my campaign, but once I read that I reversed on Panzuriel. It not only incorporates him into the setting, it fills what I think is a real hole for divine patron of pirates of the Flanaess.
    Sage of Canonfire

Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:52 pm  

The art that inspired the look and feel of Panzos:

CF Admin

Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:35 pm  

PSmedger wrote:
    Originally the plan was to publish both together, which would have been more synergistic. But we wanted to get the issue out on time. Port Toli will have a lot more lore about the god and the rake. There will be a series of articles on the Sea Princes, if you have anything to spin off from your campaign, let us know!

I'll mention a couple ideas now, but if this seems to hijack the thread, I can shift it to the thread I started about my campaign.

First, in Panzos the Cruel, you mention "the Princes of Toli, their bloodthirsty necromancer sponsors, and their allied armadas," and Samwise's classic The Rhola and the Toli - The Battle for Jeklea Bay contrasted the Toli use of necromancy with the Rholan use of evocation. A decade later, this led Rasgon to suggest an alternative,
    "the Suloise House of Tolax [which] was given custody over the Kendeen Pass and charged with guarding it from their fortress of Tol Kendeen for the rest of time." More on the Hold of the Sea Princes.

IMC, I've created a secret "Society of Tolax" but have yet to determine if it includes the "true inheritors" of the ancient Toli Suel, pretends to descend from "the Suloise House of Tolax," or something else.

Also, I've puzzled over whether the current Prince of Port Toli descends from one of the old ruling families whom Tavish the Great put to the sword in CY 306 (i.e., descends from one of the handful of survivors who escaped the slaughter by fleeing into the city's catacombs). If so, then it seems likely that the descendants of the survivors contributed to the forces that succored Luschan Vilchar V and helped the Sea Princes conquer Port Toli in CY 445. However, I've wondered if this is too direct.

Also, I've gone back and forth between the endemic necromancy of Samwise's Toli nation and Rasgon's version, where "the Suel and Flan inhabitants of the Tolax kingdom began to blend together, becoming identifiable as a dusky-skinned people with a cultural fixation on death and the afterworld."

Finally, somewhere in this ferment, I've imagined a Suloise priestess of Wee Jas, who might have become a clerical lich and initially gave succor to the rulers of Port Toli. If undead, perhaps she protected the survivors of CY 306? And perhaps she is the ultimate patron of my Society of Tolax although none(?) of them know it but instead believe themselves merely to be cultivating a venerable tradition of necromancy?

Anyhow those are a few ideas vis-à-vis Port Toli. So far my PCs just think of it in contrast to Monmurg, with Toli being "ancient and decadent" and Monmurg being "modern and enlightened;" its rulers have a reputation for necromancy, its political economy relies on slavery, and indeed, Toli's control of the Princes' Council of 464, following the Battle of Jetsom Island, shifted the locus of power to Toli (for how long?) and reintroduced the widespread practice of slavery throughout the Hold.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:18 am  

Noice job, lads!

Aquatic Norker for NorkerMedic! Happy

Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:09 pm  

PSmedger wrote:
    Kirt, so glad to see you are still around!

One of the eldest of the Greytalkers, still walking the earth, when so many have crossed the veil of Realinor.

Working on any projects? ::hint:: ::hint::

-Gary

Hey Gary,
    So I fired up the disk reader, and was successfully able to read some 3.5" floppies, with contents dating from 1996-2000.

The box I found was the PC-formatted floppies, though, and I'm 95% sure the article you are interested in I had saved on Mac-formatted floppies. I'm still looking for that box.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Sage of Canonfire

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:18 am  

You might be able to lay your hands on the Astrology article for Greyhawk?!?!

Let us know, Kirt!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: