Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Twenty Years on Canonfire!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Twenty Years on Canonfire!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:48 pm  
    Twenty Years on Canonfire!

To all,

I see as I made a post last night that I have been an official Greytalker here on Canonfire since 2003! Now I lurked for a time before I officially joined, but have been active ever since, with certain dry spells here and there. I have many posts and a few articles that have graced this website over that time. I am certainly proud of having contributed a little bit to the collected lore of Greyhawk, if anyone out there has used any of the ideas I have posted, I feel that it was time well spent to see them posted.

I have attended conventions and events over the years, but unfortunately have never met any of you good people in person. However, I consider you my friends, if for no other reason than our shared interest in this collective world. I think back to some of the great discussions over the time, and certainly treasure the give-and-takes on various topics. I also think about those who have fallen off the site over time. Most people who have left were probably just due to the requirements of life, but there have been a few of us Greyhawkers who have left this plane of existence for good. I certainly salute all of those who have contributed over the years.

I keep coming back to this site for many reasons: it is a nice outlet for my fantasy creativity, I have never had a bad experience with the folks on the site, the people here are the real deal in that the interest is genuine and the labor of love in keeping this site up is clearly evident.

So here's to another few years of collective exploration into a fantastic world! I am pleased to have made the journey with you and look forward to more contributions in the future. To those new to the site, welcome and please contribute whatever you can. To those who have been around for a while, please continue, as every bit of reference, new ideas, and adventures adds to our enjoyment of the hobby. And to those who may have not been too active as late, please jump back in when you are able. I certainly value every opinion given here and have many articles and materials from the twenty years of lore collected in my library to last a lifetime.

As with all fan sites, Canonfire will thrive and continue so long as we want it to continue. Do yourself a favor and go through some of the old threads, the article posted from years ago, re-look at the discussions and apply them to your current campaigns. Spread the word that this is still the best place for the old school Greyhawkers to share and meet. I thank everyone for their contributions and look forward to more collaborations

As always, your fellow adventurer,

Osmund-Davizid

Last edited by Osmund-Davizid on Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:55 pm  

I greatly enjoy reading & idea hunting through what you (and the other contributors) post! I'm pretty much just a lurker, but I should occasionally comment more the enjoyment I get from this site. Thank you!
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:44 pm  

Congratulations! Twenty years is a strange feeling, isn't it?

My anniversary was last year, back when I was a young pup of only 20. I was of the generation that would normally have started with 3E, but reading the 1E materials in my local library really fired my imagination and creative juices.

Like you, I use Greyhawk as an outlet for my fantasy creativity. Sometimes I worry about a sort of 'imposter syndrome' in that I use Greyhawk and my D&D materials to write fanfiction instead of actually playing, but the encouragement and feedback from fellow Greyhawkers has always been a huge support-and Gary Holian was only the first of the many friends I've made.

Here's to twenty more!
    Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:42 pm  

Congrats Osmund! Time certainly does fly! I think I'm right behind you in length of membership. I totally credit Canonfire and regulars like you and Cruel Summer Lord for spurring me to submit more material (and to branch out into blogs and comics).

Let's keep the Greyhawk fires burning guys!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:54 pm  

I love it when people say Hi! Haven’t been on CF as long, but like you I’m a longtime Greyhawk fan and I’ve made many friends thanks to mutual love of the setting Fary gave us (no matter how it was changed afterwards!).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:40 pm  

Congratulations on being here for 20 years Osmund-Davizid.

I didn't sign up until 27 Jan 2007, so I've got another three years to go.

I'm a big fan of Spelljammer, so if I was going to go looking for old topics to bump, I'd be wanting to bump the ones about Greyspace the most.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    GreySage

Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:07 pm  

I haven't been here 20 years yet, but I've loved every minute I've spent perusing the Forums and Articles on Canonfire! I've used quite a bit of ideas I've gleaned from the writings of my fellow Greyhawk fans here in my own campaign and writings. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 am  

Congratulations Osmund-Davizid,

You are truly one of the most valuable contributors to the site and glad to still have you kicking around. So many have been lost to the mists...

-G
    GreySage

Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:21 am  

Osmund-Davizid,

Your words are eloquent and the tribute worthy of this grand collection of Greyhawkers who join, prowl, and post, irrespective of edition.

I feel exactly as you described. Thank you for the inspiring post,

Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:34 am  

Happy Boy, have we grown old! Smile

I have not run Greyhawk-related games since 2010, maybe. Still so, I return here because the forum is so much fun to read. Not, like, in the way other fora are "fun to read" - no politics, no fads, no "games of the week/month/year". Just a celebration of Greyhawk and classic-era D&D. Smile

I tip my hat to all of you, guys! May this place and this community forever be around! Smile

Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:30 am  

It is great that so many people have stuck around for so long. Quite a few 20+'ers are still posting.

Congrats to all, and thanks for contributing to the community!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: