JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adding Megadungeons to Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adding Megadungeons to Greyhawk
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:04 pm  
    Adding Megadungeons to Greyhawk

Where have y’all placed non-Greyhawk megadungeons in the Flanaess? Especially curious about Dragon Mountain, Dark Tower, Thracia, the Marmoreal Tomb, Stonehell, Palace of the Vampire Queen, Undermountain, Emerald Spire, Grande Temple of Jing, Necropolis, The Lost City, and Anomalous Subsurface Environment.

Ideas and findings:
    Badabaskor – absolutely perfect for the barrens in the Bandit Kingdoms.

Citadel of Fire – love the expanded 3e version, despite the ruleset. All of the barbarians and amazons running around inspired me to develop the barbarian aspect and place it near the Sablewood.

Stonehell – love the idea of this as an abandoned penitentiary in the GK built by a Naelax ruler. Some of the Stonehell vibe and encounters work, but many don’t. Needs work.

Castle Zagyg – I like Greyhawk Ruins too much to ignore, so unsure where to place this. Don’t need another mad wizard dungeon near Greyhawk and not interested in another metropolis near the Ery and Neen, although I’m tempted to use Yggsburg for Dyvers.

Undermountain – would love to put this under Irongate, since the original builders were dwarves, but just too big, too unfinished, too two-dimensional, too high-magic, and I don’t need another mad wizard. Ideas?

Tegel Manor – Paul Kidd dropped an easter egg placing this in Greyhawk at the end of his trilogy, suggesting the western map. I imagine it near the Rushmoors.

Tonisborg – recently rediscovered and published Blackmoor megadungeon. Fortunately, Frederick Weining included a “Tonnsborg” in his OJ5 article that went on to become semi-canonical when its developments were used the LGG, so we have a place for this.

FFE’s Dungeon World – contains GH IP and presents an interesting possibility for purgatory adventures in the afterlife.
    --
    Official: Greyhawk Ruins, Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk, ToEE, Maure Castle, D1-3, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Placed by GH creators or commonly adopted: Night Below, Empire of Ghouls, Lich Dungeon, Blackmoor Castle, Castle Zagyg, Castle of the Mad Archmage, El Raja Key (usually integrated with CG or Maure), Lost City of Gaxmoor (Bissel), City of Brass (TSR, Necromancer, Kenzer, Huso, Paizo).

Generally unplaced, but used by Greyhawkers: Hall of Many Panes, Marmoreal Tomb, WG7.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:04 pm  
    Placements

If you're not using Maure Castle, I can see placing Castle Zagyg there in Maure's place.

"Palace of the Vampire Queen" says it takes place on an island. The third module in the series is called "The Misty Isles" so I would place it in the Pearl Sea near where Anna has placed The Mist Kingdom.

Don't you want Necropolis in Erypt which is outside of the Flaness?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:38 pm  
    Re: Adding Megadungeons to Greyhawk

vestcoat wrote:
    Castle Zagyg – I like Greyhawk Ruins too much to ignore, so unsure where to place this. Don’t need another mad wizard dungeon near Greyhawk and not interested in another metropolis near the Ery and Neen, although I’m tempted to use Yggsburg for Dyvers.

In my Greyhawk, WGR1, WG7 and Castle Zagyg coexist as three different castles constructed by Zagig Yragerne (or not) at different times. “Castle Zagyg” was his first and sits south of the city, between the Ery and Neen Rivers. “Castle Greyhawk” (WGR1) is the most famous and sits in the canonical location in the hills northwest of the city. “Greyhawk Castle” (WG7) is a knock-off (à la McDowell’s from Coming to America) located between Greyhawk and Dyvers near the Gnarley Forest.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:50 am  
    Re: Adding Megadungeons to Greyhawk

DMPrata wrote:

In my Greyhawk, WGR1, WG7 and Castle Zagyg coexist as three different castles constructed by Zagig Yragerne (or not) at different times. “Castle Zagyg” was his first and sits south of the city, between the Ery and Neen Rivers. “Castle Greyhawk” (WGR1) is the most famous and sits in the canonical location in the hills northwest of the city. “Greyhawk Castle” (WG7) is a knock-off (à la McDowell’s from Coming to America) located between Greyhawk and Dyvers near the Gnarley Forest.

This is a pretty cool idea and simple solution! I like keeping WG7 in the mix too (and near the Gnarley to explain the Herzog's "Fireball Fun in the Forest" program Wink ). Kind of overwhelming amount of dungeon choices, especially since Greyhawk Ruins itself is almost three in one.

I'll probably do similar, but make Castle Zagyg incomplete, just using the Dark Chateau, Upper Works, Storerooms, and Joe's level 2. Zagig started construction, then changed locations and executed a better plan when he discovered the artifacts under WGR1.

Then I'll add some of Kuntz's levels and Joe's Caverns to WGR1.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:54 am  

Sort of a tangent but the original post got me thinking:

What third-party or non-GH modules would be suitable for use as existing (but undeveloped) adventure locations?

The Carl Sargent-era Greyhawk, in particular, is almost clogged with adventure sites (The Mines of Father Eye, for instance, or Tomb of Tzunk's Hands) that have barely been developed in subsequent years.

Given how very very many adventures exist nowadays, some of them must be good fits for some of the locations we have little or no information regarding.

Also, as another aside, somebody here or on another board made a very good case for Rappan Athuk on the sea coast of Keoland, north of Saltmarsh I think.

I'm also very eager to place Dolmenwood somewhere when the setting is released next year.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:17 am  

edmundscott wrote:

What third-party or non-GH modules would be suitable for use as existing (but undeveloped) adventure locations?

The Carl Sargent-era Greyhawk, in particular, is almost clogged with adventure sites (The Mines of Father Eye, for instance, or Tomb of Tzunk's Hands) that have barely been developed in subsequent years.

Given how very very many adventures exist nowadays, some of them must be good fits for some of the locations we have little or no information regarding.

Also, as another aside, somebody here or on another board made a very good case for Rappan Athuk on the sea coast of Keoland, north of Saltmarsh I think.

I'm also very eager to place Dolmenwood somewhere when the setting is released next year.

I for one wouldn’t mind a ready-made dungeon that could stand in for Star Haunt.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 pm  

edmundscott wrote:

My usual GH pillaging sources are: Forgotten Realms, 3e generic/GH-lite, Judges Guild, Mystara, Castles & Crusades (often lesser quality, but can be found cheap), and Ravenloft.

FR ruins like Evenginstar, Nightmare Keep, Hellgate Keep, Under Illefarn (just the maps and factions), Ghosts of Dragonspear, Princes of the Apocalypse, and the Mere of Dead Men series in Dungeon Magazine work well for various GH locales.

All 3e generics are very useful (the eight introductory series, the Forgotten King trilogy, and Fantastic Locations, etc).

The 2e version of Dungeon Geomorphs is a great sleeper product not talked about much; especially good for castles and mines. Combine with some DM tools like Dungeons of Mystery, online trap generators, the 1e DMG stocker, or the old Monster and Treasure assortment.

James Ward's adventure shorts have helped me flesh out or jump start a number of sites. See Towers of Adventure (Troll Lord Games) and Treasure Tales (Fast Forward Entertainment). The former needs some liberties taken with the maps, but could help with a number of Sargent's undeveloped towers. Ice Tower of the Salka works well in GH.

Mines of Father Eye are mostly detailed in WGR3. For other GH mines, I would start with Dwarven Glory (Wee Warriors/Pacesetter), Glory Hole Dwarven Mine (JG), The Mines of Keridav (Gamelords), and Iron Orb of the Duergar.

For tombs, I would consider Labyrinth of Madness, Iron Crypt of the Heretics (1e available), Tomb of Abysthor, and Temple Tomb and Tower.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:38 pm  
    placing megadungeons

My kinda go-to for placing generic D&D adventures was in the mountainous area between Ratik and the Frost Barbarians. In my campaign, I set up a semi civilized "boom town" type settlements in that area, outside the control of Ratik and defending themselves from the barbarians, the last pocket of old Aerdy expansion.

Anyway, I used the location for putting in the B1 Quasqueton complex out there. Later on, I used it for The Gates of Firestorm Peak. With a little bit of work renaming the places, you can make Dragon Mountain fit in that area as well.

I liked the idea of using the WG7 Castle Greyhawk as the underground complex beneath the location known as Folly in the Barren Wastes. That seemed appropriate, but we never actually played it.

See if that works for you.

O-D
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:20 pm  

My Castle of the Mad Archmage was intended as an alternate for Castle Greyhawk. It includes more features known to be in the original, and can be used to let Castle Zagyg keep going down past level one.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: