JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - L(awful) Alignments and their classes
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    L(awful) Alignments and their classes
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:00 pm  
    L(awful) Alignments and their classes

I'm posting this here primarily because I repect more of the opinions in this forum than in most others. Apologies if this is not directly GH related.

Alignment and the interpretation thereof are at the root of a number of misunderstandings between players and DMs. Without attempting to define specific alignments, I have an idea regarding two classes whose abilities depend on alignment: Paladins and Monks.

Both must remain Lawful, and Paladins must remain Good. These are subjective terms, and everyone's got their own interpretation of alignment. Normally, this doesn't much come into play: "OK, I'm probably slipping into a Neutral area with this, but..." However, with these two classes, a few missteps can cause loss of class status.

To avoid the hearbreak of lost classes, I will be asking all Monks and Paladins to write down their "Code of Honor". Codes of Honor must acknowledge factors such as deity/religion, race, culture, and national origin.

Codes of Honor must address specific situations, such as missile combat, hostage situations, poisons, missile weapons, disease as a siege weapon, mercy for those who ask for it, prisoners, definitions of "fair" and "unfair", and to what extent (if any) that the end justifies the means. Vaguely written Codes will be rejected.

This way, there's no "Paladins wouldn't attack Orcs in the daylight" or "Monks can too use poison" argument. Your Code is laid out, and if you violate it, you lose your abilities. As usual, the degree of transgression determines the degree of ability loss.

Thoughts? Concerns? Criticisms?

Thanks for any comments,

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:40 pm  

I would consider that all codes be Lawful in nature.Chaos in a code would not be accepted unless order ruled in the end ( Butterfly effect ). Add good, evil,& or neutral flavors to the code which will then flesh out your details of that order.
    Also maybe develop a "degree of transgression" list at the time you are stateing you code. This could help players understand the level of effect certian transgressions will hold if they misbehave.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:39 pm  

Telas,

I posted a paladin code on the Wizards Boards, Classes forum, titled "Paladin Code (LONG)" about two weeks ago. It was a collaborative effort from a bunch of folks on the boards in 2003, and it's pretty comprehensive.

Check it out. Might help.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:22 am  

Couldn't find the "Paladin Code (long)" link; WotC's search is down. I'm sure once they reverse the cranial-anal inversion, I'll find it.

But after two weeks of wrangling with it, I've decided that the best description of the "Law - Chaos" conflict is this:

Lawful: The ends do not justify the means.
    Chaotic: The ends always justify the means.

Telas
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: