JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Epic Joramys Wrath
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- EpicHawk
    Epic Joramys Wrath
    CF Admin

Sun May 15, 2005 8:29 pm  
    Epic Joramys Wrath

On Thursday Chatdemon hit upon an idea of a volcanic eruption as a metaplot for Greyhawk, while that thread is winding its way around the regulars I thought that I would put my spin on it with some help from the Epic boards regulars. Mainly Wykthor, Mortellan and hats off to Chatdemon for going ahead with this.

Under Cauldron lies a secret and a sinister future portent for Oerth. A Phaeton lies under the remains of Cauldron, the Phaeton of a union betweem Imix and Joramy, named Pyroclastia who rampaged across the planes unchecked until a coalition of good fire elemental lords and archons bound her away in a obsidian disk called the Aerthain. This prison kept the phaethon at bay but after a time Joramy and her allies bound it away deep in a extinct volcanic cone.
    During the Richfest blast Pyroclastia is once again freed and during the tumult of death and destruction birthed a Shape of Fire, favored by Incabulos who also adds to the ruinious rampage.

At this point I would make the adventure around the devastation in the wake of the eruption but then the freeing of Pyroclastia from her prison and summoning feindish elder fire elementals worthy of a good epic adventure, but also Incabulos favors the Shape of Fire and the many lava wights it can create as a further complication.

Lets use this as a spin off to epic adventure as the PC's not only have to deal with the suffering and cataclysmic devasation but these epic foes.

Mon May 16, 2005 4:50 am  

Cool idea (no pun intended). I liked the origin (but why the name Aerthain?) but is this richfest blast a LG event? I'm not familiar with the area surrounding the Cauldron of Night, except it's on the Great Kingdom (I still haven't read Ivid the Undying yet :-( ). A good thing to do is to organize the major high-level NPCS in the province because they certainly would not stand iddle by this terrible threat.

There is a problem, though. I'm currently pulling my hair out with the last revisions on the book before it'll go to printing. Therefore, until the beginning of june I fear I can't participate much in this (and also this was the reason I was absent in the late chats..)

Victor Caminha
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2005 5:23 am  

Sorry Wykthor, Dethand means the city of Cauldron from Dungeon magazine's adventure path series, that is now placed on the coast of Jeklea ay within the Hellfurnaces. Yes, it is a city built upon a volcano. Its proximity to the Amedio and these volcanoes lends itself to this exotic scenario. This has nothing to do with LG, it was a discussion/exercise the other night in greychat started by chatdemon.

Anyhoo, Pyroclastia, awesome name. Hmm Joramy and her religion would be 'angry' that Pyroclastia got away, much quarreling and finger pointing would go on to assign blame for its release, even if it was a natural disaster. Their focus then would be more concerned with taking it down/re-binding than any mundane relief involving its side effects (tsunami damage, burning cities). Epic heroes if not already alerted to the escalating situation, would be contacted by the narest temple of Joramy or a vision sent by her directly, to attend to the matter. I can imagine very exhausted heroes just barely saving their own interests from a raging tsunami wave only to then hear that they now have to deal with a Phaethon.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 16, 2005 12:52 pm  

D'uh! I guess I'll try to find about this city then. I bought a large batch of old dungeons last week and perhaps I'll have the oone detailing Cauldron.

Victor Caminha
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 21, 2005 9:31 pm  

Wykthor wrote:
    D'uh! I guess I'll try to find about this city then. I bought a large batch of old dungeons last week and perhaps I'll have the oone detailing Cauldron.

Hope so. It was actually more than 1 that involved Cauldron. It was an adventure path series that led from very low (1st?) level all the way to 18th or higher. Some of the high level ones were pretty good too - involving a demonic/celestial demigod and a broken piece of Heaven.
    Let's see. I think they were...yes, the Shackled City adventure path. See here:

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dungeon/issues/shackledCity

I don't think they all contain a relevant module, maybe some have references. I see they have put the whole thing together in a single edition to be published in July. Cool.

ROB
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 22, 2005 3:12 am  

I have finished reading all the mags and yes, I have some (but not all) adventures involving Cauldron. I'm worried, though: putting a phaeton nearby doesn't risk an overuse of catastrophes on this poor town? BTW, does the location of Cauldron is in Hellfurnaces or was a non-canon, logical, decision?

> involving a demonic/celestial demigod and a broken piece of Heaven.

The Test of the Smoking Eye. A brilliant adventure :-)

Victor Caminha

Mon May 23, 2005 11:58 am  

Putting Cauldron in the Hellfurnaces was Mona's way of making it canonish while at the same time marginalizing it to reduce outrage I think. As for the Volcano-Phaethon stuff started here, that was initially spurred by chatdemon's wish to eradicate said addition to canon from his own campaign instead of playing the Adv Path. kerboom!

I havent used the AP either, but the next one, Ages of Worms I may have to b/c from what I've gleaned from Erik, it has elements in it I was planning on using anyways IMC.
    Forum Moderator

Mon May 23, 2005 12:01 pm  

Putting Cauldron in the Hellfurnaces was Mona's way of making it canonish while at the same time marginalizing it to reduce outrage I think. As for the Volcano-Phaethon stuff started here, that was initially spurred by chatdemon's wish to eradicate said addition to canon from his own campaign instead of playing the Adv Path. kerboom!

I havent used the AP either, but the next one, Ages of Worms I may have to b/c from what I've gleaned from Erik, it has elements in it I was planning on using anyways IMC.

(forgot to login, plz delete Guest post)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- EpicHawk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: