ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Searching for Fred Weining material
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Searching for Fred Weining material
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:19 am  
    Searching for Fred Weining material

Hi all,

I noticed to my dismay that Fred Weining's website, Greyhawk Adventures, no longer seems to exist (forgive me if this is old news). I recall that he had some really interesting articles on Blackmoor, the Lendore Isles, and some other parts of the Flanaess on that site, all of which had been cut out from the final draft of the LGG. Has that material been transferred to another site? I would be most grateful if someone who has saved the material would be willing to e-mail/fax/snail mail it to me (or at the very least, tell me where I might be able to find it on-line!)... drop me a line and I'll send you my contact info!

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance...

-- TwiceBorn
    Oerth Journal Staff

Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:24 pm  

TwiceBorn-
    Email me at aseale1999@adelphia.com
    I have the Blacmoor Article and the map for it. I might have some of the other stuff also, I have to check
    andy
    aka Fallon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:53 pm  

Hi Andy/Fallon,

Thanks for your reply and for your willingness to send me what you have... I'll be in touch soon!

Cheers,

Xavier/TwiceBorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:51 pm  

Hi Andy,

I tried to e-mail you today, but the message was undeliverable... are you having problems with your e-mail account???

-- Xavier
    Oerth Journal Staff

Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:36 pm  

Hi Xavier,
    Oops my goof. It's aseale1999@adelphia.net (it's new) sorry or try aseale@keane.com
    Sorry again,
    Andy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:59 pm  
    Twiceborn Please read...

I am looking for the same information you are. If you (or anyone else)can provide me with the original url for Fred's old site, I might be able to glean something from the Internet Archives "Wayback Machine". This handy device lets you look at vanished web pages as archived by the organization.

It's not a perfect solution, but it might have some value. Not everything gets archived and attachemt files, such as zips and PDF's are rarely (if ever) archived, but text pages usually are.

(Gee, all those years playing around with HTML and web design *did* finally came in valuable for something... :) )

Let me know!

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:23 pm  

Hey Braggi,

I unfortunately don't have it. Is someone on this site in touch with Mr. Weining? If yes, perhaps they could ask him to help us out...

Best of luck with the search!

-- TwiceBorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:07 pm  

Fred Weining's Blackmoor article is still available online through the Oerth Journal. I did a google search for the words "Fred Weining" and a number of options pop up. Scroll down until you find what you are looking for. I was just going to copy and paste the article here but it is about 3+ pages long and probably wouldn't fit very well.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:00 am  

Thanks for the tip, Rhineglade. Fallon was good enough to send me a copy of Fred's Blackmoor article a few weeks back, and yes, I did notice it was in the Oerth journal as well. What I really would like to get my hands on at this point is the stuff he wrote about the City of Glass in the Lendor Isles... and I know that he had written about other interesting places on his website in a really inspiring way... but I can't for the life of me remember what!

... first Carl disappears, now Fred... who knows, maybe they've both sailed to the Undying Lands? Let's hope Erik M and Gary H don't pull the same stunt!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 pm  

Hey gang. Be patient if you can. Gary H was able to locate a url. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that the Wayback Machine takes about 6 months to update its archives. Presently they only have stuff for Fred's old server going back to mid 2003. The site may well come up, but it may take a month or two to do so.

Anyways, we have a possible link so mayhaps we can get the stuff after they do an up date. 11 billion pages of html (that's how many are in the archive) take a while to update.

I'm as impatient as the rest of you, but hopefully we'll see some results.

Hope that helps!

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:44 pm  
    City of Glass

Here is what little info I could get on the City of Glass:
    The wizard then led them to a cliff-side and, pointing inland, laid bare to them a great spectacle.  Off in the distance, near the middle span of the island and stretching some three miles further into the north, was a city - a city of glass.  This might not have been overly peculiar to these men, for they had heard and seen many strange and wondrous things in their trafficking, except that this city was suspended in the air, hovering magically at least a half-mile off the ground and shining with the same greenish, vapor-like hue which embroiled the wizard's demeanor.

The wizard then recounted a tale from ancient times which said that this city would be the last refuge of the inhabitants of this chain of islands once the calamity struck.  The aspect of Lendore pointed out that this calamity was near, and was coming in the form of an invasion of these islands by the Lordship of the Isles and their allies, certain merchant clans from Medegia.  Both, he said, hoped to exploit the Spindrifts for outward bases and possible wealth that was rumored to exist here.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:10 am  

That's great news, Braggi! I'm sure that it will be worth the wait. Now that I think of it, the last time I looked at Fred's website probably was back in mid-2003, and there was plenty of good stuff on it back then (I'm not sure if any more material was added before the site went down). Keep us posted on your progress!

Rhineglade, thanks for sharing your info on the City of Glass... may I ask where you got that from? I didn't spot it in the LGG...
    CF Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:29 am  

Fred's bit on the City of Glass has been reposted at the Wizards GH folder. See http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120150.

Happy 'hawking!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:00 pm  

Just what I was looking for... fantastic! Thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:08 pm  

Perfect MTG.
    Ditto Rhineglade.

This is several paragraphs more then I had to begin with.

Thanks gang!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm  

Okay, I know this thread is old but...

Is there any Fred Weining stuff still around? I've seen the articles in the old OJs and his other "official" publications, but where's the cool stuff he used to have on the web? Anybody still using/keeping up with Weining's old articles and writings?
    GreySage

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:13 pm  

I'd be inclined to associate Lendore's City of Glass with the city in the same name in the Elemental Plane of Water. It's a bit more interesting with a crowd of Suloise refugees in it.
    CF Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:30 pm  

I found a copy of Fred's Old Lore Bard PC while sorting through my binders, I think. I have a copy of his GC 2000 (?) handout too. I'll see what I can do to scan that stuff and post it to the site sometime soon.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:03 pm  

FYI,

Fred used to go by the online handle Psyclops (or some variant spelling of that), so if you run across articles under that name in the AOL best of collections or whatever, that's Fred's stuff.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: