Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Return to the Tomb of Horrors Plot Hole?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Return to the Tomb of Horrors Plot Hole?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 pm  
    Return to the Tomb of Horrors Plot Hole?

Maybe I'm missing something.... I just received Return to the Tomb of Horrors. In my first quick read-through, I noted that there is mass panic in Pitchfield, as Count Hazendel and his family have disappeared (and their pets were all found dead). Now, as far as I could tell, this is not addressed in the remainder of the adventure. Sure, you can go to the Negative Material Plane and destroy Acererak once and for all, but does anyone know where the ruler of Sunndi is???
    GreySage

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm  

Based on no evidence at all, I'm guessing their souls got sucked out and they're all dead beyond resurrection.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:46 pm  

AFAIK Hazendel is still alive as of the LGG, RttToH being semi-canonical I guess that would be up to the individual. I never bought that adventure, how does it look otherwise?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:09 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Based on no evidence at all, I'm guessing their souls got sucked out and they're all dead beyond resurrection.

If I ever run RttToH, I'm going to have some random NPC say the above, at some point. Brilliant.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 am  

Well - given that he's mentioned as Count Hazendel and not King Hazendel, we have to asssume that this happened before the Wars (or at least the proclamation of the the Kingdom of Sunndi).

We also have to assume that Hazendel and kin were saved somehow (or that the Hazendel on the throne of Sunndi isn't in fact the real Hazendel...).

Either that or the novel - like a lot of that era of novels (Against the Giants and the Justicar <bleach!> stuff anyone?) - is non canonical...

P.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:48 am  

mortellan wrote:
    AFAIK Hazendel is still alive as of the LGG, RttToH being semi-canonical I guess that would be up to the individual. I never bought that adventure, how does it look otherwise?

I haven't been over it with a fine-tooth comb yet, but, based on my first reading, I'd give it a B+. On the plus side, it's creepy, it's old-school, and it includes an eight-page journal as a player handout (very Cthulhu-esque). On the minus side, there is the aforementioned plot hole involving Hazendel's whereabouts, a reference to a map of the Tomb's location that doesn't appear to be included, and not as much Greyhawk material as I'd hoped.

Also, I was disappointed that the original Tomb was not updated. Sure, a reprint of S1 is included, but with simply one page of explanatory notes such as, "Add this item to this room," and, "Ignore material that refers to Acererak's motives being unknown." I would have preferred to have the revised Tomb included, even at the expense of the reprint. In addition, being that RttToH is a 2E product, it is incumbent upon the DM to convert the original Tomb to the 2E rules. (Granted, that's not an issue for me personally, as it saves me the trouble of ret-conning it Wink , but it seems a poor editorial choice nonetheless.)

Last edited by DMPrata on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:49 am  

Woesinger wrote:
    Either that or the novel - like a lot of that era of novels (Against the Giants and the Justicar <bleach!> stuff anyone?) - is non canonical...

Question I was referring to the Return to the Tomb of Horrors boxed adventure, not to a novelization.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:30 am  

I stand corrected. <bows> Smile

P.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:13 am  

Although this is definitely no answer to your question, friend Prata, I personally would suggest you leave the (mediocre) prequel and the City of Skulls out of the story, and just play ToH and continue it with the trip on the demiplane. All the preliminaries are far too long, IMO. Smile

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:42 am  

Not having the books in front of me, I can't be sure if this is an option, but given the size of royal famalies in the real world as an example, is it possible that Count Hazendel is just another member of the royal family, not the monarch himself?Brother, cousin, nephew, whatever. If not, then that does rather make for an easy fix. Count Hazendel, son of Duke Hazendel, nephew of his royal majesty King Hazendel has vanished, go find him you adventures! Hole filled?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: