JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Using non Greyhawkian sources
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Using non Greyhawkian sources
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:14 am  
    Using non Greyhawkian sources

I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to using non Greyhawkian sources for their Greyhawk Campaigns. Which sources and what did you have to tweak to make it flow?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:41 am  

I use the Artificer class from the Eberron campaign book in a few ways.

The first is as a small, obscure group of mage-scientists dedicated to pursuing the Arts laid down by the master artificer Kwalish. No changes were made to the class itself; just the background was changed. The group is based in the baklunish lands, which is the only place to gain training in such arts. The Artificer is very regionalized in my campaign, but you could always have some codger who has left the group due to "philosophical differences", and he headed out west to instruct others in his particular way.

The second group that is allowed Artificers is gnomes, in particular svirfneblin which stems from introducing to my campaign the UK module "When A Star Falls".

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:23 pm  

I found a Magic Medieval Society (Land Grant/Manorial Economics and Fleshing out spellcasting PCs and urban centers, additionally cited building costs seem more realistic) and the Village of Briartown (Fully detailed village of NPCs really nice for home based campaigns the PCs return to) PDFs from RPG to be quite helpful.

Been gaming since 1976 and have never seen a complete world map of Oerth or Toril. Mentioned it to a friend and played in his campaign where Oerth and Toril were really the same world just on opposite sides of the globe with a teleporation ward separating but allowing plane shifting to work. (Spell jammers knew it)
    CF Admin

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:56 pm  
    Re: Using non Greyhawkian sources

kafka wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to using non Greyhawkian sources for their Greyhawk Campaigns. Which sources and what did you have to tweak to make it flow?

I use the magic system and spells from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed for Baklunish spell casters. I also make players use the Greenbond class from the same book if they want to play a "druid" with a character from Hepmonoland.

Good call on artificers. I'd allow them, but we don't have any players that have chosen that class yet. But, I think it is a fine fit in Greyhawk with no adjustments.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 pm  

The City Book Series from Flying Buffalo are a great source of buisness and adventure hooks. With lots of great NPCs. Although some of the establisments can be a bit far fetched, they are still all in all a great series if you do a lot of city adventures. Although many of the entires would work well in towns or villages too. And there are a few out door settings too. I don't know if there is any copies of them out on the web or not but years ago there was a game called thieves Guild which was a great game. I think I liked it even better than D&D. The Adventures were geared Towards Theives but set in a fantasy city. The adventures were very well thought out with time talbes for diffrent NPCs and events happening. They also had all kinds of diffrent theft scenarios and lots of detailed maps. The Tomb robbing book had some really interesting treasure and traps. One of the most useful parts of the book for a fantasy campaign were the Tables for Fencing off your items. Exactly how much do you really get for that 100,000 Gp Gem? I still use some of those old adventures for my games. One of them takes place at a Duke's dress Ball. I've used that scenario in a few diffrent games even out of generes ones like Castle Falkenstien
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:51 am  

Initially, Zeif didn't have a LG region so I converted the Day of Al'Akbar module and plopped all the NPCs into Zeif city so I had a fair few ready-made characters like we have in the city of Greyhawk.

Most of the npcs were quite minor (bakers, shopkeepers, etc) so hopefully the Zeif Triad won't contradict too much of it by developing the city in minute detail!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am  

I use lots of non-Greyhawkian materials in my Greyhawk campaign. Not sure if I could even begin to list them. Just a couple of examples...

Day of Al Akbar fits in a perfect hills-bounded 2-hex space at the southern tip of Ull between the Ullsprue Mtns and Crystalmists.

I use Harn supplements all over when I need a city detailed. For example, I use "Tashal" for my Verbobonc. I've Also place some Harn cities as additions to the map. For example "Golotha" is now located at the outflow of the Javan R. just north of the Hold of the Sea Princes.

I've also placed EVERY Earthmaster ruin (Harn again) on the Flanaess map (and created some new ones from scratch, such as the Brindec site (in the Dreadwood) described on my website.

The Bloodstone series I placed in the hills just north of Tenh and in the Barrens (the lich's castle). Lost Island of Castanamir near the Pinnacles of Al...err... forget... in the Drawmidg Ocean.

It goes on and on.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ==============================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: