ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Alq’abaj, A Mysterious People of the Far West
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    The Alq’abaj, A Mysterious People of the Far West
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:31 am  
    The Alq’abaj, A Mysterious People of the Far West

The Alq’abaj, A Mysterious People of the Far West,

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=817&mode=thread&order=2&thold=0

Cool article. I was all into the history, then bam! an exotic dancer! Nice tie in of east, west and far west.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:13 am  

I also thoroughly enjoyed this article. Now I must keep the Alq’abaj in mind when I think about the Far West cultures. The article was well researched too, good links at the end. Keep up the good work smillan.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:14 pm  

Thank y'all. Happy

I know the LGG gives no indication that the Relentless Horde ever came down out of the north, but the WoGG does say that "Border skirmishing with the southern nations went on as these wild horsemen pushed into the Flanaess," so I had been wanting to do something with that for quite awhile and also wanted to do an exotic race unknown in the east. I had the setting of the negotiations between Nyrondal and the Horde but didn't quite know where to go with it when the Alq’abaj dancer kind of sprang into my head.

Mort, The inspiration for the land of the Alq’abaj was Umberto Eco's description of the Kingdom of Prester John in his novel Baudolino, which in turn seems to be inspired by The Travels of Sir John Mandeville. Instead of river of moving gravel though I figured river of fire sounded cooler. I'd be honored if you included it in your thinking on the Far West. As far as location I was thinking in the mountains west of the Bakhoury Coast, on the eastern side from *ugh* Orcreich.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:01 pm  

Interesting article. I like the idea of translating the genasi to GH. I think there was a Dragon article that went part way, making them generic rather than just FR. Either way, cool idea. Smile My first thought reading the article, however, was of Star Trek and the women of Orion, save the coloration is different. Smile Scarred me as a child. Wink

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:18 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    My first thought reading the article, however, was of Star Trek and the women of Orion, save the coloration is different. Smile Scarred me as a child. Wink

Thanks Glenn.

The ol' irresistible Orion slave girl, eh? Damn you James Tiberius Kirk!!! Mad

It's funny. I was just reading the Komal article that Galiana did and she has some of the people there being descended from water elementals. Maybe the west is full of genasi. It is pretty exotic.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:56 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    The ol' irresistible Orion slave girl, eh? Damn you James Tiberius Kirk!!! Mad

It's funny. I was just reading the Komal article that Galiana did and she has some of the people there being descended from water elementals. Maybe the west is full of genasi. It is pretty exotic.

I'm a sucker for slave girls. Wink But free will is its own reward. Happy

I think your idea about the West, or part of it anyway, populated with genasi is not a bad one if we go with the Baklunish = Near East = Genies = Genasi idea. So you're saying this is the first in a series of articles you will be uploading? Happy Great idea! Happy Wink You are off to a great start! Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: