ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - UPF1: Thieves Guilds of Seaton
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    UPF1: Thieves Guilds of Seaton
    Master Greytalker

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:00 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=872&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Hope everyone enjoys Smile

I am eager to hear any comments or opinions to improve my work.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:16 pm  

I enjoyed it. I was a little bit, like, hey how does this fit with all the other articles, and I am not sure, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. As simple as it was I really enjoyed the name and notion of the the warf rats.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:16 pm  

Thanks for the feedback Wolfsire; actually I did link my articles through the "possible problems" sections. RFC article mentions poor refugees can't find work and the warf rats are thinking of recruiting or a labor leader being blackmailed or Sour Note: mentions bergull being extorted by people offering protection, could be the cartel or wharf rats.

Glad you like the rats but what did you think of the cartel. I decided to keep it unclear for ease of use in various campaigns but it seems you would like more detail. Would you like more guild history and context, guild structure or character background.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:42 am  

Crag wrote:
    what did you think of the cartel. I decided to keep it unclear for ease of use in various campaigns but it seems you would like more detail. Would you like more guild history and context, guild structure or character background.

I was not crazy about the cartel, but it was probably just the name. The name conjures up images of a big organization rather than something small appropriate for Seaton, but the way you described it sounds cool.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:35 pm  
    Theives Guilds

Out of all of the articles you submitted for Postfest, I liked this one the most. I thought you struck a nice balance for the two guilds. They were not overly large or powerful - perfect for a minor city like Seaton.

I think the Cartel is a neat guild in that is is almost as profitable doing legitimate work as opposed to their below the board activities. The name is perhaps some delusions of grandeur on their part, but shows that the mindset of the members is of putting a legitmate front to their work.

The low level Rats is more typical of the street gang theives guild. Too minor league for the authorities to strongly crack down on, but a threat to the local folk. Again, the size and composition is just enough to keep the flavor of Seaton appropriate.

O-D
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 pm  

Thanks for the responses; I chose the cartel name to show the merchant focus of the guild. It could be argued that most cartel members don't consider themselves a thieves guild at all anymore, just a group of clever merchants.

Ps: Wolf would you like the "Copper Coin Cartel" better.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 pm  

wow, I like this article. I like the two theives guilds idea, with the hidden powerful guild, and the visible lower class guild. nice article Crag.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: