Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Suggestion for the FAQs, if not already covered.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Suggestion for the FAQs, if not already covered.
    Novice

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:41 pm  
    Suggestion for the FAQs, if not already covered.

May I suggest that one of the FAQs be modified to include a definition of POSTFEST?

If this is already covered somewhere, forgive me, and please direct me to it. Thanks!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:48 pm  

Actually, I have to second this one. I was a little confused about the definition of "postfest" when I first found this site, too.

In case you still haven't found a good definition, roystonlodge, a postfest is a period of time during which Canonfire encourages those who come to the site to post as many articles on a given subject as they can. This is done to provide a boost to the normal flow of new articles as well as to accumulate an ever greater body of knowledge for the Greyhawk setting. As an incentive Canonfire structures the postfest somewhat like a contest. There's no huge prize, but being the winner of a Canonfire postfest is a worthy accomplishment.

Note that an "article" is not just another post. A postfest article is like a magazine article that addresses some aspect of the setting. And like a magazine article it gets edited, approved, and even peer-reviewed. Given the qualifications and calibre of some of Canonfire's members, you can think of this as being somewhat like submitting an article to a professional journal. You can find examples of other articles (assuming you haven't already) by clicking on "topics" in the upper left corner of your screen.

I hope to see some of your work at the next postfest!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:36 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    As an incentive Canonfire structures the postfest somewhat like a contest. There's no huge prize, but being the winner of a Canonfire postfest is a worthy accomplishment.

Unfortunately, there are no winners anymore. And, getting a postfest announced is not easy.

To get one rolling, I with the help of GVD and others, had to organize and "unofficial postfest", UPF, which eventually essentially became treated as a normal one.

It might be time for UPF2, but I have not heard a grumbling for articles yet.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:54 pm  

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    *grumble, grumble, grumble*

I am up for UPF2, name you topic. Might be good to open this in the general forum/.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm  

bubbagump wrote:

In case you still haven't found a good definition, roystonlodge, a postfest is a period of time during which Canonfire encourages those who come to the site to post as many articles on a given subject as they can. This is done to provide a boost to the normal flow of new articles as well as to accumulate an ever greater body of knowledge for the Greyhawk setting. As an incentive Canonfire structures the postfest somewhat like a contest. There's no huge prize, but being the winner of a Canonfire postfest is a worthy accomplishment.

Bubba pretty much nailed it. As an interesting historical note, GH postfests came in to being around 10 years ago, when TSR and the Greyhawk Discussion "forums" were on AOL. The GH post folders in the AOL RPG area were used by many folks, some now moved on to other things, some still lurking around CF and other GH haunts on the net. Now and then, when things got slow posting wise, the users would challenge each other to post, picking a topic and encouraging everyone to post an original article on the topic. Pretty much the same thing now.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.42 Seconds