Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What year did Mordenkainen go west?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What year did Mordenkainen go west?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:12 am  
    What year did Mordenkainen go west?

I have not played D&D since the early 80's and I want to start playing again. I have been lurking here for a couple of months absorbing the vast amount of information here. Thank you to everyone who has posted articles in the past.

While I have been brushing up on my Greyhawk lore, I came across an entry in Dragon Magazine #37. In this issue Gary Gygax stated the following about Mordenkainen, "Several years ago, the Neutral arch-mage took his rather vast cavalry force and rode into the west".

What year did this happen? Is this covered in a released product?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:54 am  

i may be wrong, but wasnt just after robilar released iuz ?
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:07 pm  

That should be in the right vicinity rossik. Gygax always wrote his articles around the time period the setting is published in 573-576 CY I believe. The Citadel of Eight broke up after Emridy Meadows which was definitely 569 CY and Iuz was freed in 570 CY so if he said several years ago, yup that would be the best guess!

p.s. Welcome to the community Alisanos.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:16 am  

I guess there is a related question - when did Mordy return? Did he ever return?

Or is this a case where canon splits in two directions? One where Mordy is presently in the Flanaess (and may be presumed/implied to have returned) and one where Mordy goes West but is never much heard from again?

At the least, I think the value in Mordy going West is that it establishes a prescedent that Mordy can up and leave the Flanaess for some time. It is then a way to imagine a GH without Mordy without loosing Mordy (if he returned or impliedly returned) forever. Mordy comes and goes?

Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 am  

i cant answer that, but for the first post, you can read some very nice things in Oerth Journal number 07.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 am  

I cannot even BEGIN to remember the source...but didn't Mord at one point mess with the Kettah on his little Westward Journey?

Was there something maybe mentioned in a subsequent article?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:02 pm  

Thanks one and all for your responses. Sorry I have let several days pass without responding. I travel a lot for work and I am currently in Trinidad. Since I am often away from home, my posts and replies may often be errratic.

I am still looking through all of the Greyhawk material that I have and I have not found a definitive answer. I will post back here if I do find something.
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 pm  

I asked Gary or Rob about this years ago, will have to see if I saved the answer(s). You might also check on Scott Gregg's boards @ http://doomsdaygames.proboards3.com/index.cgi
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: