ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Reborn is new Living Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Reborn is new Living Greyhawk
    Site Theocrat

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:04 pm  
    Greyhawk Reborn is new Living Greyhawk

Hi all -
    Just yesterday, I joined a local gaming site, VegasGamers.org. Well there a link took me to Greyhawk Reborn. It seems that Greyhawk Reborn is a non-WotC regulated continuation of Living Greyhawk. From what I've read, it seems that they'll be playing 3.5 with the Core and Expanded books. I don't know which of the former official Triad's and Circle members are continuing with this Greyhawk Reborn project, but it does seem that here is a way for the Greyhawk community to further the setting without the interference of WotC. It also seems that because it's more of a fan based project, hanky-panky things like the whole Alien Invaders thing may not have to take place.
    I've not yet joined it. But it does seem that one of the founders of Greyhawk Reborn lives here in Vegas, BABY! and we're still part of the Pale. If this is so, I'm possibly interested in joining the new triad and helping to direct the flow of how things are seen. I do realize that my view is slightly hardcore - convert or die, but it seems that here is a chance to modify the outcome of our world.
    It's either that or I further my belief that Greyhawk is dying - even among us fans, it seems that posts are less, activity is less and although many of us have resolved not to move Greyhawk to 4th Edition, with the gaming community splintered with 4e vs 3.5/Pathfinder - Greyhawk now has even more competition for our gaming ideas, with Pathfinders Golarian in addition to fr, The Kingdom of Kalamar setting (one of the finest dating back to 1e), and others.
    So Check out Greyhawk Reborn and see if you'd be interested in helping it out, even if, like me, you hated RPGA's version of Greyhawk.
    Be Well,
    Theocrat Issak
    In His Path and Glory, We Follow.
    Theocrat Issak of the Church of the One True Path of Pholtus

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:13 pm  

To me the RPGA/Living Greyhawk is as unnecessary as the conversion to 4e. All you need to play Greyhawk (and that's only if you know nothing of the scenario) is a map of the Flanaess and an imagination. I don't like people telling me how to play.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:21 pm  

Alien Invaders?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 pm  
    seconded

I second that; Alien Invaders?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:32 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    To me the RPGA/Living Greyhawk is as unnecessary as the conversion to 4e. All you need to play Greyhawk (and that's only if you know nothing of the scenario) is a map of the Flanaess and an imagination. I don't like people telling me how to play.

"A closed mind is a safe mind." Laughing I think that was a Warhammer 40K "Imperial thought for the day"' I once read somewhere. Anyways, this is D&D land... Wink

I've never played in any RPGA event. I've stood in on a few games, but never played. But, does that mean that the materal is not worth a look at the very least? You might actually get some ideas from it, or even like it enough that you make use of some of it. The RPGA sytsem is decent enough for setting up games between gamers of all types who invariably are going to come from different playing backgrounds/styles. For what is does, the system works very well. If the folks behind Greyhawk Reborn somehow manage to continue some sort of organized play at conventions that will be exceptionally cool for all of the people who enjoyed Living Greyhawk. If I were to travel across the country to GENCON and wanted to play a game of D&D there, something along the lines of Living Greyhawk would be very appealing as it is a known quantity.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:03 am  

Interesting to see if this will take off.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:27 am  
    Alien Invaders of Tenh

Hi all -
    You all have forgotten the Ether thingys that invaded Tenh in the 2nd or 3rd year of LG? I don't really know enough to be able to describe it well enough, but I do remember it called Ether and they invaded. Some of the other larger arch's were cool, but I don't know enough about them.
    The biggest issue I have/had with LG, was that they didn't compile the concept or the introduction of the modules into something each year so that those that do miss a few modules could still know what was/is going on in the world. So I do hope that the GR group does do this.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:01 pm  

TheocratIssak: Nope, I have no knowledge of Ether thingys/alien invaders in Tehn. That's one of the reasons I'd love to at least hear about what happened in the various LG games. I was never part of it; I'd like to hear about it, of which I would pick and choose to be or not to be WoG. On the surface, this sounds like a "not". Smile

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:43 pm  

Here's an article on Tenh that sheds a little light. I think the Ethereal Horde is the result of something that happened in the Isles of Woe, but I'm not certain.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:00 am  
    Status of Mods in LG (Plus other stuff)

The short answer (an answer given in several other threads previously, yes this topic rears its head about every 4 to 6 months) is no, there will not be an official published Living Greyhawk summary, nor will the mods and background generated for it be allowed to be used.

Here is why:

1) WotC only purchased all mods until year 2 when a dispute over a module in the Duchy of Urnst (leading to it being pulled by the author). After that only Core mods where purchased.

2) Those regional and meta-regional modules (year two and later) that were not purchased are the property of the authors.

3) The websites are a melange of purchased and author owned material that is nearly impossible to properly attribute to the original author(s). And really until it was published in a module or official campaign guide (regional, meta-regional, mini-campaign, or LGCS) it really wasn't LG canon until it was.

4) There is no central repository of Living Greyhawk material and to compile it would take a bizillian years to sift and sort.

So, don't expect that LG will ever be part of an official 4e Greyhawk campaign. The only way it would be used is if one of the authors used their own material or the WotC purchased stuff.

So you have no worries about LG infecting the "official" canon.

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:12 pm  

I don't think Greyhawk Reborn will last if WOTC IP lawyers find out about it Smile

Mike
    < lawyer
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: