JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Castle Zagyg News
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Other Game Systems/Editions
    Castle Zagyg News
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm  
    Castle Zagyg News

In short Ghul has cut ties with Gygax Games. What this means for CZ is currently up in the air but I hold out hope we will see it finished. While I am saddened by this turn I do not hold any ill will towards GG. Yes, I do have concerns but that is only natural.

The full anouncement may be found HERE

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:25 pm  

And now, Gygax Games has withdrawn all licenses from Troll Lord Games.

Here.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 pm  

And Gygax Games has lost any business I would have given them. Mad

Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:07 pm  

Do you only use Troll Lord Games products? Seems like Troll Lord probably would want to keep the licenses to the various Gygax products, but have given their blessing and morale support to Gygax Games to step out into the business of RPGs and do their own thing. Kinda stinks that Castle Zagyg is getting de-railed mid-project though. Hopefully Gail's message means that GG will continue the project themselves. We'll have to keep an eye out for what they plan on doing with it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:02 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Do you only use Troll Lord Games products?

Currently, yes. TLG has done something no other gaming company has done. Won my loyalty and kept it.

Quote:
    Seems like Troll Lord probably would want to keep the licenses to the various Gygax products, but have given their blessing and morale support to Gygax Games to step out into the business of RPGs and do their own thing. Kinda stinks that Castle Zagyg is getting de-railed mid-project though. Hopefully Gail's message means that GG will continue the project themselves. We'll have to keep an eye out for what they plan on doing with it.

As always there is more to the story than what is told. I'm not a first had witness, but do have a good idea of what happened from chats and phone conversations with those in the know. TLG is pretty much at the mercy of GG on this. The outcry has not been positive and there have been several of the CZ fans state they are not buying CZ now due to it being taken from TLG.

On several threads of Gary's in various boards and to many that knew him Gary wanted CZ to stay with TLG. This breaking of his wishes is something that concerns many on what advice GG has gotten.

Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:35 pm  

Well, outside of Gary's direct family, and a few friends most likley, we don't know the particulars why certain decisions were made. I wouldn't stick too closely to comments made by Gary while in the midst of being in buiness with TLG. Of course he would make the comments he did, and not say something to the effect of "I'm glad to be working with TLG right now, but I'm no so sure about our future." Not quite the thing you want to say in the midst of being in business with somebody, and not only for the reason of business relations but for buyer confidence that the massive, multi-part CZ project is a solid venture and not up in the air.

Gotta give things a little bit of leeway for changing circumstances here I think, and not take things, particularly past statements, at 100% face value. It is simply that cimcumstances change. I wish both parties success in their future ventures. TLG makes good stuff. Hopefully GG will too.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:19 pm  

You may be right. But for me I know where I stand on this. As I have had conversations with TLG's owners and Peter Bradley about this. These guys were close to EGG and I have no reason not to trust them. However, I have decided to proceed with my own castle and let things be. Gygax Games may win me but it isn't likely.

And no I'm not selling C&C here or bashing GG, just expressing my disappointment in what was supposed to be a grand partnership between EGG and TLG.

Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 pm  
    C&C License

Obviously the dust hasn't settled. As someone who's bought CZ1 and CZ2, I've been chomping at the bit to put my order in for CZ3 as soon as I could--but whoa what a surprise.

Can't we hope that Gygax Games will publish CZ3 itself and use C&C rules which I think would be some sort of C&C license wouldn't it?

"Quite simply captain, I examined the problem from all angles, and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that under the circumstances, the only logical action would have to be one of desperation. Logical decision, logically arrived at."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:06 pm  

Raymond, after I read your post I went back and looked over the information that has been out there for. No where did I find that CZ would not be using C&C. I just assumed that. Something I shouldn't have done.

Thinking about it I might go ahead with buying CZ if they do use C&C for the system. Or even if it was a dual stat with C&C and LA. Thank you for helping me notice my mistake.

Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 pm  
    No News

Gygax Games doesn't have any news yet on what they're doing with CZ or what they might do with TLG. If they stopped everything they were doing with LA to work on CZ, wouldn't they have something by now? It's hard for me to understand how a Gygax had written a castle and dungeon in the 1970s and we still can't get more than a couple of demi-planes from it (EX1 & EX2) and an upper-level from CZ2.

If they really want the money, they could publish the first castle, the second castle, and the CZ castle and I'm sure the Gygax fans would buy all three (even if they complained about some duplication).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am  

Is there any new information on what Gygax Games will do about Castle Zagyg?

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:19 am  

Joseph Bloch at Greyhawk Grognard has his own ever expanding take on the dungeons below Castle Greyhawk. I would recommend them.

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 pm  

This is already posted elsewhere and is off topic. I'll leave it here though just in case somebody missed the other thread. Cool Hopefully we'll hear something regarding Gygax Games' plans soon.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    This is already posted elsewhere

Oh.....ooops. Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Other Game Systems/Editions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: