JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Celene Mystery River
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Celene Mystery River
    Novice

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:51 pm  
    Celene Mystery River

Clarification requested. A river begins in the Kingdom of Celene at Enstad and joining the Jewel River in the Suss Forest and carrying on to the Azure Sea.

None of my Darlene maps name this river, nor do their Gazetteers. My Campaign Cartographer GH maps list this river as "Amberflow." My Paizo GH Map lists this river as the "Handmaiden."

I cannot find any 'canon' on this river. Can anyone comment? Please?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm  
    The Handmaiden River Confirmation

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer map and Anna Bernemalm's maps ( GHmaps.net ) both give it as listed as the Handmaiden. The LGG gives a tidbit on canon for it:
    Living Greyhawk Journal, page 152 wrote:
    Handmaiden: This peaceful tributary of the JewelRiver flows from the Lortmils.

Personally, (I'm certainly a truly unbiased reference, right?), I take most anything on Anna's maps as absolute and unequivocal canon. It is impossible for her maps to be wrong, simply because they are divinely inspired. Wink Of course, I do know that she does tremendous amounts of research on her maps for canon reasons, too. And they are very extraordinary maps. Happy

Icarus
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 pm  

It has been 6 months since the last map update, and I'm dying to see what Anna has been up to in that time. Cry

Until WotC deigns to grace us with some crazy detailed maps of Greyhawk, Anna's maps are at the very least as good as most maps that you will find anywhere with regards to detail, and in most cases they are far, far superior.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm  

Anna's maps are great.

Why don't you consider the Paizo map to be canon, J Campbell?
    Novice

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm  

Genlemen, thank you for your replies and assistance.

It is probably a small matter, but I noticed that this river did not have a 'published' name attributed to it until 2000 with the publication of the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

When differing map sources listed two names, 'Amberflow' and 'Handmaiden,' I simply wondered if there was an earlier reference to this river that passes through Celene. Possibly from the pen of Carl Sargent, Kim Mohan, or the like. I was unable to find any, but my studies are not as broad as many that participate here.

I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the efforts that Erick Mona, Paizo, and its staff have contributed to the expansion of the Greyahwk setting (I sweated through half a year to obtain their four part series of maps).

An older reference would simply satisfy an old fart's sentimentality towards the settings creators.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm  

jcampbell4869 wrote:
    An older reference would simply satisfy an old fart's sentimentality towards the settings creators.

Many here share such sentiments Jcampbell. Wink

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm  

Wrongthinkers! Wrongthinkers one and all! Wink

Most people thirst for anything definitive, rather than "Cool! It is now named the 'Driz'zt River'! Awesome!", though some folks like that too. Laughing

Everybody has their own take on things, and all points of view are welcome(even those of the wrongthinkers). Wink

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:42 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    "Cool! It is now named the 'Driz'zt River'! Awesome!"

Oh ho! I think I burst my spleen laughing. Oh please, someone call 911 for me! Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am  

From Living Greyhawk Journal 03, page 30: "The western banks of the Handmaiden River are thought to be relatively free from savage humanoids..."

Sergio :-)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: