JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Submissions for Oerth Journal
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Oerth Journal
    Submissions for Oerth Journal
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 am  
    Submissions for Oerth Journal

Looks like the name is sticking around and we would like to invite anyone interested in submitting an article or artwork for the Oerth Journal. All submissions will be considered as well as all editions.

Whether your old school 1st edition or new age 4th edition or any of the editions in between doesn't matter. Where looking for your fandom material.
    A chance to submit your takes on Oerth whether it be beyond the Flanaess or a little detailed portion of a Darlene map. Perhaps your depiction of a Valley Elf (not the totally tubular ones though) artists, writers, first timers, even those of you who browse from foreign and domestic sites.

We want you! As Uncle Sam says! Submit... Submit... Submit...
    There are willing fans out there ready to help get the OJ back on its feet.
    Our long time Managing editor Duicarthan has long produced quality OJ's for us let's continue the tradition and move things forward.

All whom wish to submit artwork or articles post here we will have the appropriate staff contact you by whatever means necessary.

Yes thats a knock on your door don't be afraid to answer it. Evil Grin

The link will direct you to a page. On the bottom of the page are submission guidelines that can be downloaded. Please review the guidelines before you submit.
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=13&min=20&orderby=titleA&show=10

Familiarize yourself with these guidelines and happy Hawking!
    GreySage

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:03 am  

I'm working on an underwater adventure (3.5e) for levels 8-10, approximately, and would love to submit it for consideration for inclusion in an Oerth Journal.

When is the deadline for submissions for the next edition of the OJ? Smile

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:53 pm  

As of now no deadline I would say even when things are up submissions can always make it into another OJ so keep'em coming. However I expect things to start soon.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm  

Looks like I will have to dust off and re-submit my Ulakand town gazetteer.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm  
    Art, Art, Art!

As the Art Director on at least the most recent issue of the OJ, I would encourage anyone that likes to dabble in art to submit their work!

This isn't a cal for professional artists alone, y'all! We're interested in *fan* work! For every single DM out thre who's ever done a map sketch or a little cartoon for an NPC, there's great room for you too!
    Even if it's submitting an idea to the editors or other artists, it is often the case that you'll inspire others to do another piece. Or if you want to say something like, "I am submitting this article/art/idea, and I was wondering if anyone would like to take it further."

There is lots of room for participation by a lot of people ... and it's an open book (or magazine, as the case may be). Especially, in different areas of art ... those of y'all who like Manga can do really great work, and Otto or Karistyne or anyone would look great drawn that way! Or, those of you who doodle little dungeon maps on graph paper, if you don't wanna turn them in that way, talk to one of us who uses AutoCAD or even Paint, and find out if we can clean it up for you! Or, if you'd like to show us how to make a origami D12, cool! Are you one of those poeple that collect random internet photos? Find some that you think that look like NPCs, and perhaps they can be used for reference material for NPC sketches! Maybe you like painting landscapes with Bob Ross - do one of a nice forest like the Adri, or the Dreadwood if you like! If you are in the SCA and like doing A&S stuff, help us find a good calligrapher to do title bars for an article on herlads! Or give us a diagram of all of the real pieces of armor! There's probably someone who likes to use computers that has designed different logos based on the classic Greyhawk yellow-stone design! Share them!

There's a lot of art that is inspiring, and gets people wanting to do things, so don't hold back - art isn't just about NPC portraits - though we take those too! The point is that one doesn't have to be an "artist" to help us with art-related things, and those that are artists (or illustrators, painters, draftsmen, carvers, carpenters or what have you) can do a lot to give stuff for the Oerth Journal!

so, be creative, and put the heart of a gamer into the OJ, and make it visually everything that we've come to expect from our beloved ezine! The Oerth Journal is turning 16 years old in about a month ... if you haven't ever read it, which there are many that haven't, it's the perfect time to start. ... or if you're an old hand, try giving us a hand!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    When is the deadline for submissions for the next edition of the OJ? Smile

The current deadline is May 30th, 2011. This may be revised based on submissions - I would like to move it up. If you can get us material by the end of April, that'd be fantastic.

Do not be afraid to ask for help or recommendations - our trained and certified xvarts are here to work with you on your submissions!

Stone endures
    N.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:09 pm  

A quick note: ignore all references to D&D editions (& stat blocks) in the Submission Guidelines. Those will be removed shortly. Our job is to print Greyhawk, in any edition (or game system!)
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 pm  

Hey guys,

I talked to Cebrion the other day about whats been going on.
    I am still interested in being on the OJ crew. For the last few months
    I have been either without computer or more recently my entire HD
    crashed and all my backups were in OH while I was in WI. I have just
    recovered what I could from my back up discs but weeks of information
    was lost. I will be on vacation in GA with the laptop this next week
    and probly be working on recovering the data lost to get OJ 26 back on
    track. As it was I had it nearly completed in pdfs minus a few pieces
    of artwork which I just decided hell with it and run w/o them for that
    article. Sadly the SATA Seagate drive (the newest one) was the one to
    take a crap! It had all that info on it.

I do agree, I think its about time we did get some new blood in. I
    hope they all have my email address if not now soon, I am thinking of
    handing over the reigns of the editor in chief role in favor a a
    publisher/ director role where I oversee the projects, help where I
    can but let more of the work funnel outwards. Let the others gather
    the art and articles and send them to me and the Editor in Chief both,
    we review them and go over needed changes and if necessary make them
    ourselves. The articles would then continue going to the EiC until
    they were ready for publication at which time they go to me and I
    collate them and make them into the full pdf versions. Which is still
    doable now that I have a working computer again.

Further, I wanted to broaden the dimensions of the OJ to include all
    editions and open it up to the Pathfinder RPG system as well. I am
    sure that a lot of people would like to see that. However, it should
    be noted that all stat blocks should be edited and tested by the
    authors themselves, for I cannot see anyone one person taking on such
    a task as editing all editions.

Reply via email by Nellisir>

A few quick thoughts:
    - I've got no problem with you staying on/around, as long as there is contact & continuity. I really don't have a huge desire to take over the OJ; I just don't want it to fizzle out.

- To help that, and to help editing & etc, I think we need to move to an online platform. Google Docs is the obvious choice. There are issues with it, but the benefits of having the articles accessible to multiple people, so no one person becomes indispensable, is the dominate factor.

- Ditto almost everything else. I've got the Oerth Journal blogspot registered, and someone (Cebrion? Argon?) has got oerthjournal@gmail.com. The OJ cannot become dependent on Canonfire! or any other single personal website. It has been held independent for a reason, and ought to continue as such.

- Reviving the Council of Greyhawk makes sense to me in this vein - if nothing else, a few select people who have access to these resources (and passwords, etc), so if you, or I, or Cebrion, or someone, goes down, someone else can step in, or at least pass vital information on to another person.

- I absolutely agree with ditching edition requirements. I also advocating moving stat blocks out of the articles themselves and into appendices, leaving only minimal game info (LG fighter-6) in the article itself. This allows for a variety of editions and details while creating continuity between the articles themselves.

- Sans adventures, recent OJs have run 25-30 pages. We need to keep this in mind (as an acceptable page count), and focus on production. Do not wait for a bigger page number, do not wait for art. Make a deadline and keep to it.

- Aside from having the people in charge, avoid the push to hand out titles and assignments and hierarchies. Keep things flexible.

- On a personal note, I dislike sans serif fonts in the body of a text. ;)

- I've got a few more thoughts on direction and article types I'd -like- to see, but I'm out of time
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Oerth Journal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: