Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Living Greyhawk and The Great Library?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki
    Living Greyhawk and The Great Library?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm  
    Living Greyhawk and The Great Library?

I know that The Great Library of Greyhawk is an encyclopedia of canon (which is one of the things I love about it).

But I wonder if it is possible or desirable to use the same wiki to create an encyclopedia that is pure to the published products and also to cater for people that would like to see encyclopedic articles about things that Living Greyhawk added to the campaign setting.

While I wouldn't really be interested in an encyclopedia that included fanon, the RPGA was given the authority to create content for the Living Greyhawk campaign, and I do consider that the "facts" of LG could be considered to be a canon of sorts.

Forgotten Realms Wiki set up a system for Living Forgotten Realms, where they keep LFR material out of the default namespace, but have a separate namespace that has articles that has articles that are "canon + LFR". I wonder if a similar system would be possible here.

They have a Living Forgotten Realms portal. And articles in the default (canon) namespace, like Aglarond point to LFR articles, like Living Forgotten Realms:Aglarond region.

One great thing about this stuff being put into a namespace is that the search system (on the wiki) only searches the default namespace unless you ask it to look in other namespaces too. (Although I think that a small hack might be required to add a non-standard namespace to the list of searchable areas.)

I know that the existing mandate of The Great Library is already a mammoth task, but given that a number of people have an interest in seeing Living Greyhawk preserved (as much as possible) I wonder if this is something that LG fans would be allowed to add to the wiki (in an appropriate way designed to not stop the canon purists from seeing only the information they seek).

What do you think? Would something like this allow the wiki to do both thing well?
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm  

While I think LG portal on the GLoG is a good idea, I'm not sure how to make portals, and I'm not sure how useful it would be, given that there seem to be only two people who are actively involved with "regular" GH subjects on the wiki.

Currently, the GLoG usually addresses most LG material by adding a "Subject in Living Greyhawk" section to any given article.

Occasionally, some LG subjects "cross over" into the mainstream, & they get articles of their own, such as the Able Carter coach company.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 19, 2014 1:11 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    While I think LG portal on the GLoG is a good idea, I'm not sure how to make portals, and I'm not sure how useful it would be, given that there seem to be only two people who are actively involved with "regular" GH subjects on the wiki.

What Forgotten Realms Wiki do (at least for the content pages) is add "Living Forgotten Realms:" to the start of all article titles.

The portal, is literally a clone of the Forgotten Realms Wiki "Main Page", converted from regular FR to LFR. So the portal for a hypothetical Living Greyhawk area would have this URL:
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Living_Greyhawk:Main_Page

It would proabably have: "Welcome to the Great Library of Living Greyhawk!" at the top of the page. Smile

As for there being only two regular contributors to the main GH wiki, that might improve if the problem preventing new editors from getting accounts is addressed.

Robbastard wrote:
    Currently, the GLoG usually addresses most LG material by adding a "Subject in Living Greyhawk" section to any given article.

Occasionally, some LG subjects "cross over" into the mainstream, & they get articles of their own, such as the Able Carter coach company.

How do you approach material written by ordinary Living Greyhawk members, rather than TSR staff? A lot of that was totally unvetted and people may not consider it canon for a normal Greyhawk encyclopedia.

But, as something that happened for multiple groups of LG players, it would be considered canon for Living Greyhawk.

There could, for example, be towns and villages on Living Greyhawk maps that were never on mainstream Greyhawk maps. The Regional Triads may also have created new in-character organisations. Things like that would be a good subject for a LG namespace.

You also have the fact that a large number of people are published writers of Living Greyhawk material. That makes them notable to LG fans, but not necessarily notable to ordinary GH fans.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Novice

Fri May 23, 2014 4:51 am  

I'm totally with David (Bigmac).

As a regular player and DM since early 80's (1985 to be precise), I collected and lost, re-collected and re-lost a lot of material on GH settings, following the crashing and substitutions of my PC/Laptops during the years.

What The Net made possible is to AVOID this, and more important, the ability to share your works.

Or at least, aid the work of others to get public not waiting the ages needed to one single person to do all that job by himself only.

What GLoG is is great, but it has a much greater potential, if only we can get UNSTUCK of this conservative behaviour.

The only thing needed is a management team at least PRESENT on a weekly basis.

Have the energies of everyone well-disposed to be unleashed.

PaleMage
    aka Fabio "Monty" Montanari
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: