Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greetings from Yggsburgh
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Greetings from Yggsburgh
    Novice

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm  
    Greetings from Yggsburgh

Hi Everybody!

"So, what came first: The Greyhawk or the Ygg?" rolleyes

Yes, I know, Greyhawk. I'm not exactly a Gygaxian purist. I've played D&D for 30+ years, before and after Gygax's reign. Greyhawk was one of many fantasy settings I played and DM'd. I wasn't aware of much TSR politics back then, I was more into the gaming.

The last decade brought some gaps in my gaming for the usual reason: LIFE and its wondrous changes. Right now, I'm on another sabbatical.

To keep myself busy I've been delving into Gygax's last endeavor: Yggsburgh and Castle Zagyg. I was tempted with Greyhawk, but so much has come and gone with it, I wanted to be more basic. Unfortunately, not much was developed for the project as a whole, but there are certainly some healthy roots to start with.

I've begun mapping the Free Town of Yggsburgh. I'm in the middle of a layout for the whole town, to be followed by a district by district coverage of each area. Here's what I'm doing right now:

I have a blog, The Outs Inn.

It's my workshop. Stop by and let me know what you think.
    Ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for reading.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 pm  

Welcome to the boards Yggs!

I was nearly blinded by the yellow background of your blog. Me thinks Pholtus designed that page for you. Laughing

Please feel free to peruse the boards and ask any questions you like. If your interested there is a link to the left that will allow you to join in our Thursday night chats (Greytalk Chat Now! with java). Unfortunately it is not the coffee which most of the chatters there can use from time to time. Laughing

Look forward to seeing more of you on the boards.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm  

Wow, Yggs! That's some ambitious project you have going there. I wish you much success with it. Happy

I am not very familiar with Yggsburgh, however, and wonder if it was intended to exist simultaneously with the City of Greyhawk or if it was an alternate city near to the ruins of Castle Greyhawk.

Anyway, welcome to Canonfire! We're glad to make your acquaintance and hope you'll find much inspiration and enjoyable companionship within our venerable halls. Smile

SirXaris
    Novice

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:36 am  

Argon wrote:

I was nearly blinded by the yellow background of your blog. Me thinks Pholtus designed that page for you. Laughing

Thanks, Argon. I was afraid of making it too dark and gloomy. And orange just didn't seem right.

I'll definitely be moseying around. I'll try to make it Thursday. Fortunately, I'll be drinking tea. :)

SirXaris wrote:

Wow, Yggs! That's some ambitious project you have going there. I wish you much success with it.

I am not very familiar with Yggsburgh, however, and wonder if it was intended to exist simultaneously with the City of Greyhawk or if it was an alternate city near to the ruins of Castle Greyhawk.

Thanks for saying so. I'm trying not to intimidate myself with the scale of the whole thing and just do it one step at a time.

I think it began as a variation of Greyhawk. Gygax explained his Castle Zagyg project as a meshing of old and new ideas from over the years into a new form.

There are some Hawker-eggs to be found, i.e. the Green Dragon Inn and the Striped Mage.

Some of the advert blurbs describe Yggsburgh as being a town laying below the Castle. It turns out to be some miles away on the maps.

After CZ: Yggsburgh's release, it seemed everyone started fitting it into the Flanaess. Gygax can be quoted suggesting Yggsburgh be placed at the confluence of the Neen and Ery Rivers. Conversely, Yggsburgh is 300 miles away from the City of Dunfalcon (another pseudonym of Greyhawk).

It can certainly be fit in with little trouble.

Thanks again for the welcome!
    Paladin

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am  

Argon wrote:
    Argon

LOL I second that!! We that dwell in the dark places of the oerth find that a bit toooo cheery! heheh
    But it is a good site with interesting info, just need a disclaimer to BYOS (bring your own sunglasses) hehe
    Welcome to the CF Family and here you will find a wealth of information and comeraderee.
    Novice

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    LOL I second that!! We that dwell in the dark places of the oerth find that a bit toooo cheery! heheh
    But it is a good site with interesting info, just need a disclaimer to BYOS (bring your own sunglasses) hehe
    Welcome to the CF Family and here you will find a wealth of information and comeraderee.

You should have seen my Hello Kittygg theme Evil Grin

It's weird. My laptop makes my site look sunny, my home pc makes it pale, and my work pc makes it look parchmenty. My aging eyes don't help either.

Well, I was considering a change anyway. It's safe now for even the most discerning underoerth dweller. :)

Be seeing you!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 pm  

Thanks Yggs,

Look forward to seeing more of your project develop. We hawkers are gluttons for punishment. We all have projects that can take up loads of time.

P.S. Don't worry my transition glasses are working fine.

Later

Argon Laughing
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 pm  

Great blog Ygg and even greater looking map project! Keep up the good work and welcome to CF.
    Novice

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 am  

Argon wrote:
    Thanks Yggs,

Look forward to seeing more of your project develop. We hawkers are gluttons for punishment. We all have projects that can take up loads of time.

Aren't those qualifications for a hawker? :)

Argon wrote:
    P.S. Don't worry my transition glasses are working fine.

Later
    Argon Laughing

I really gotta get me a pair of those.

mortellan wrote:

Great blog Ygg and even greater looking map project! Keep up the good work and welcome to CF.

Thanks, I'll be doing my best!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: