Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - City of Legend: Skarr City of Orcs (Mongoose Publishing)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Other Game Systems/Editions
    City of Legend: Skarr City of Orcs (Mongoose Publishing)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 pm  
    City of Legend: Skarr City of Orcs (Mongoose Publishing)

I've been missing for a while, becoming au fait with Legend and it really has made me happy.

I just bought the pdf of Skaar - City of Orcs and going to read through it over the next two nights (tonight is our Greyhawk gaming night so ...) and I thought that this may be perfect for Greyhawk, maybe in the Pomarj somewhere?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 pm  

Let us have your thoughts on this product, warlock.

It should be easily convertable to BRP.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 pm  

warlock: You can always post a review and your opinion on how to use the supplement for Greyhawk HERE.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 pm  

Ok, I will do that, better finish with the reading then Happy
    GreySage

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:27 pm  

You could fit it almost anywhere there's a mountain, really. Anywhere you're prepared for large numbers of orcs to be running in and out of. The history and geography of the setting work almost perfectly for the Pomarj, but in some campaigns it might work better to place it near good or neutral-aligned realms. If you put it in the Stark Mounds, for example, it could provide a home base for orcs threatening Geoff, Sterich, and Keoland. Or it could be in the Abbor-Alz, with the orcs threatening Nyrond and the Duchy of Urnst, or the Duchy of Urnst and Greyhawk.

A possible problem with using an evil-dominated land like the Pomarj, Bone March, or Iuz is that PCs might be reluctant to go there. If the orcs are only threatening other evil humanoids, they have less reason to venture into their lands. Like, if Skarr is in the Howling Hills, mostly they're only Iuz's concern. There are always possible reasons to bring them there - lost artifacts, kidnapped princesses, the promise of defeating the Slave Lords or Turrosh Mak. But if the orcs are directly threatening Keoland or Urnst, they're more of a priority. Not that the orcs of the Pomarj don't threaten neighboring lands, but they're also going to threaten other orcs and humanoids first.

Skaar is similar in some ways to Garek Enkdal in the Griff Mountains. Garek Enkdal (described in Five Shall Be One) has a population of around 25,000 while Skaar's population is around 20,000. Both have prominent temples to the orcish deity, hobgoblin tribes, underground lakes, and multiple subterranean caverns. There are many differences. Skaar is built partly on the surface, while Garek Enkdal is entirely subterranean, its entrance hidden. The governments of the two cities are different, and Garek Enkdal doesn't have the conflicting factions that Skaar has. They're different enough that there's no need to make them the same city, but they're similar enough that I wouldn't put Skaar anywhere near the Griffs.

Anyway, if Skaar is placed in the Pomarj, I think I'd go ahead and just make it the same place as Stoneheim. It's not exactly the same as Stoneheim is described in Slavers, but the general idea of a mining town in the Drachensgrabs, founded by dwarves, now in the hands of orcs fits pretty well. It could be a separate city, deeper in the Drachensgrabs, with Stoneheim having originally been built to trade with it, but I think it'd be simpler to just have them be the same place. Then Skaar can be the capital of the Pomarj, inhabited part of the year by Turrosh Mak.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 pm  

Thanks so much for your input Rasgon. I love the idea of turning Skaar in to Stoneheim ... I will get some research done in to this ASAP.

We only play infrequently (once a month), and we have only had 3 sessions, all in Dyvers. The PCs have been hearing rumours of locals going missing (Slavers) but I have also thrown in a red herring here and there in order to get the PCs experienced with the rules and generally toughen them up.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Other Game Systems/Editions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: