Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - So, this sword is talking to me... SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    So, this sword is talking to me... SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:44 pm  
    So, this sword is talking to me... SPOILER ALERT!!!

A pleasant turn of events in my campaign has me scratching my head about a new topic. I had a group of mostly neutral aligned - but the CE cleric hopeful settled on a Paladin when I put the kibosh on evil characters.

SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

We're going to be playing ToEE - and now that LG Intelligent Frostbrand laying underneath the coals of the fire temple has me puzzled. How do you play an intelligent weapon?

I have lots of outs here. They could fail to find the chest. I could just change it to a standard Frostbrand, or anything I want. I could have it destroyed by the blade trap in the chest. But it's an exciting option.

So, assuming that my friend's Ego is sufficient to wield the weapon without conflict - how do you use intelligent weapons? Do you just have it shout out pithy witticisms? Do you use it for humor, critiquing ever hit like the player's mother-in-law encased in steel? Do you let the player run it? Watcha got Canonfire?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 pm  

My first question is...Is this sword going to be in the hands of a low lvl character?

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:09 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    My first question is...Is this sword going to be in the hands of a low lvl character?

Yikes - I don't really know - I assume that their first pass through the area in question will be at 5th level-ish. Maybe 4th. But it's completely possible for them to skip this area and only discover the chest at a later time, say 7th or 8th.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm  

I suggest you pic a personality consistant with the sword's alignment that you think would be fun to play as an NPC, then you run it. You can have it participate as frequently or infrequently as you feel like using it. Basically, you choose a personality that you think will add to the fun of the adventure for yourself and your players.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 pm  

In all truth, my experience in this venue has been rather limited in spite of many years...ugh, make that decades...playing and DMing. Embarassed I recall DMing a sentient blade from a "Saltmarsh" module, but it was transient and long ago when I was much younger.

Now I would treat a sentient blade, or any item for that matter, quite differently. Firstly, I would give it a personality consistent (as SirXaris mentioned) appropriate to its alignment and Ego, Intelligence, and any other powers it may have. A sentient item, it is said, is created by infusing the spirit of a person or creature for, essentially, magical immortality. Personally, I cannot fathom doing that myself (sounds to me more like a curse!), but, this is a fantasy world, after all. I'd give the sentient being a past, a history, and a motive for being imbued magically into the item, whether that was by choice or compelled against its will.

Finally, run the item as a true NPC, with its own aims, motives, philosophy, and the like. As a sidenote, I would be very careful about giving such a powerful weapon to a low, or perhaps even mid, level character...may unbalance the game, unless you place some restrictions on its use, etc.

Recently, the closest I've come to this situation is a sentient Figurine of Wondrous Power, a greater pegasus. It's a wonderful ally, but has limitations on its use, and definitely is nobody's mere winged warhorse, but an intelligent, sentient being with a strong, noble presence all his own.

Just some food for thought.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:42 pm  

Nerdcav,

Tell it to be quiet or its headed back to the forge. Razz

Sir Xaris, has provided you with your answer, treat it like any other npc. Though this one just happens to be a a sword so motivation is key. Maybe the sword causes the wielder to go right when the rest of the party wants to go left. The sword can be your way of directing or misdirecting the party. Though I offer these words of advice use it wisely and it will be something the party never forgets.

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:38 pm  

Don't forget about the possibility of personality conflict. If the wielder isn't acting in accord with the sword's desires, it can refuse to hit, refuse to use its powers, or even dominate its wielder, if its ego is high enough. If I remember correctly, the character's ego depends on its current number of hit points, so the sword may gain the upper hand when its wielder is in a serious battle.

Also, since we're talking about TOEE, remember that sentient swords are aware of each other within some distance. This means that it is possible for this sword to become aware of another sentient sword hidden in the temple dungeons...

************** SPOILER ALERT ********************************

i.e., the one near the prince of Furyondy held in stasis.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 pm  

The giant metal automaton is correct on this score, Nerdcav. If you have them, both 1e and 2e DMG's have entries on this matter. Check out pages 166-168 in the former, or pages 186-188 in the latter. If I find out anything more in some of my other books later on, I will let you know.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: