16%  [ 3 ]
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 18

Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 am  
    Postfest Village Loction Poll

Okay, let's try this again.

This will be the first poll to narrow down the village location. Look at the map link below, and vote for the region where you want the Postfest village to be located.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7ss79201qp77e3/Greyhawk_numbered_small.jpg

After this poll, I will put up a more detailed poll listing areas within the poll-winning area to then vote on.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 am  

That is a tough one! I love every inch of the Flanaess. Happy

But, as I must choose one, I will go with #6 because I love the Amedio Jungle, the lost Olman civilization, and pirates! Cool

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    That is a tough one! I love every inch of the Flanaess. Happy

-Perhaps we could do the runner up one day, and then the others?
    GreySage

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I will go with #6 because I love the Amedio Jungle, the lost Olman civilization, and pirates!

Your choice limits the size of the village -- no Barristers in those places! Wink Laughing

Upon further reflection, I chose area 3 over area 7.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm  

Was Wavering between The Stonehold region and the Thillonrian Peninsula. there were some CF articles waaay back... would be nice to flesh out the region. went with 3 (barely)....I'm good with either!
    Cool
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm  

Shocked I couldn't control myself. Chose #5. I like how this poll is set up though.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 am  

I think things are veering away from a generic village one can drop in anywhere, but I don't care! Laughing

I would seem that we will be picking an area to set a village in. This might mean that a few additional things will eventually be factored in.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I think things are veering away from a generic village one can drop in anywhere, but I don't care! Laughing

I would seem that we will be picking an area to set a village in. This might mean that a few additional things will eventually be factored in.

Yes and no.. I would interpret the community response as determining a Locale region, which helps define (as you note above) some of the "flavor" but could still be inserted anywhere in that region .... couldn't it? ie Jack Frost ,the NPC alchemist in charge of snow removal, would not have much of a job demand in the amedio jungles of 7 or 8.. hehehe

OR
    as you convey, so what.. if we aggree on where, maybe that helps determine the who / why elements?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm  

Exactly. A specific location may serve to make things more...interesting, which may be the right way to go. Upon further reflection, a specific location may be the best way to go; namely for one reason: CF! is dedicated to Greyhawk, so why would the village not very specifically be a Greyhawk village? Not a named village mind you, but simply one that makes use of Greyhawk...stuff. Something completely generic, well, just wouldn't be Greyhawk at all. So, we make up a village, name it, and slap it down somewhere to be determined before the writing/mapping (yes, I said mapping) begins. If this turns out to be the case, I may insert one additional challenge to writers in the form of some optional "extra credit" which will then broaden the utility of the village so far as the greater GH community is concerned (you will see what I mean Wink).

If people really like this sort of project, we can do it over and over again using the great variety of locales that just the Flanaess and its environs has to offer, or even change up the format from "A Village of Greyhawk" to "A Fortress of Greyhawk", or something else altogether. Lots of possibilities here.

Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 am  

Also, I'll be closing out this poll this weekend, and posting new one.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    CF! is dedicated to Greyhawk, so why would the village not very specifically be a Greyhawk village . . . one that makes use of Greyhawk...stuff.

Such as a temple dedicated to a specifically named Greyhawk God. An established merchant with ties to a specific Greyhawk City, etc.

I like it! Great "catch" Cebrion. Cool

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    I think things are veering away from a generic village one can drop in anywhere...

-I don't think a completely generic village which could be dropped anywhere in the Flaneass would even be possible, would it?
    GreySage

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:
    I think things are veering away from a generic village one can drop in anywhere...

-I don't think a completely generic village which could be dropped anywhere in the Flaneass would even be possible, would it?

That's why the poll is a good idea. We can't have a village with tropical qualities if we're focusing on the Thillonrian peninsula, nor can we have a village with a shipyard and a half dozen shrines to ocean deities in section 5 (Ull, the Dry Steppes, and the Sea of Dust).

Well, at least we shouldn't. Wink

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:31 am  

Plus it allows us to put specific area flavor in that has to do with things other than the environment. Besides....

DM: You see a village. Near a forest.

Player: What forest?

DM: A forest.

Player: What kind of forest?

DM: [Sigh.] Just forget about it. You see a knight tieing up his horse at a rail outside of a run-down tavern.

Player: What kind of knight?

DM: Dammit.

Yeah...might want to not have that. So, a more specific area will be a good thing. Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: