Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Duskbalde class: Ravilla or general?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Duskbalde class: Ravilla or general?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:11 pm  
    Duskbalde class: Ravilla or general?

I just took a look at PHB II, which includes the optional Duskblade class which mixes fighter and sorcerer skills. Their origin supposed to be the guardians of a now fallen Elvish empire.

Celene-Ulek-Welkwood-Gnarley? Highfolk-Vesve? There really isn't anything like that fits that in the Flaneass. I don't know much about western Oerik, but maybe Ravilla? Not exactly "fallen" yet, but well in decline. OTOH, you could ignore the quasi-jedi knight mumbo jumbo and interpret the Duskbalde as and update of the good old Fighter-Magic User combo.

Right now, I'm agnostic. Opinions?
    GreySage

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:33 pm  

They sound appropriate for the grey elves guarding the ruins of the City of the Summer Stars.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 am  

rasgon wrote:
    They sound appropriate for the grey elves guarding the ruins of the City of the Summer Stars.

-Yeah, I had to look that one up:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=925

That's reasonable, but, thinking about it more, it must have become generalized. Duskblades are essentially Fighter-Sorcerers, with the same flavor as AD&D1 and AD&D2 fighter/magic users and the old D&D elves (without the spell books).

Since it goes back far enough, the guardians could have been early specimens of the class...
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:15 pm  
    Duskblades in Fallen Ravilla!!

OMG!! How in the WORLD did I miss this thread!!
    Absolutely! *YES*! Personally, James, I think that the Duskblade would fit in rather well in Ravilla!
    Granted, Ravilla still "technically" exists, but the Dragon Empire of Ravilla as it once was, is totally gone. The grey elves once ruled the majority of the continent, akin to the Mongolian Horde at it's height, and now they have nothing but the small area surrounding their cities and the Abyssal Gates they protect. Even their original mountain cities have been sealed and warded, and may be lost for all time.
    Frankly, I'm a little shocked that there weren't any multi-classed Chainmail miniatures in the Ravillan faction. There's such a tradition of them. And while I wouldn't expect a game like Chainmail to delve too deep into the D&D rules set, I think that a Duskblade *totally* would be used to fantastic benefit, especially considering their lore.
    Player's Handbook II, 3rd Edition wrote:
    ... they were charged with preserving the elf race in the face of a tide of darkness and evil."
    That's pretty much precisely what happened in the Demon War. They were given that direct mandate.
    Great catch for this!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:00 pm  

Hmmm... Back to Rasgon, Icarus, or anyone else. Any connection between Ravilla and the City of the Stars? If so, then duskblades in the east and west could have a common origin...
    GreySage

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 am  

There's no canonical connection, but you could certainly say that Ravilla was founded by refugees from the City of the Summer Stars after its fall if you wanted to. I think it would make a lot of sense, as long as Aquaria isn't blocking the way in your campaign.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: