JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Druids vs Clerics- XP table
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Druids vs Clerics- XP table
    GreySage

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 am  
    Druids vs Clerics- XP table

According to 1e and 2e rules, druids and clerics have separate XP table for level progression. Initially, I guess this seems OK, as they have different powers and spheres.

However, aren't clerics/priests of Obad-hai and Beory treated as druids? Check out From the Ashes to verify that statement. In this vein, wouldn't druids technically be considered specialty priests of those Powers, and thus fall under the XP table of clerics instead of the (outdated?) XP table for druids? I am currently leaning that direction.

Wondering what you all have done in your respective campaigns to resolve this issue.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:47 pm  

Specialty priests of Beory are not "treated as druids" for game purposes. They are basically druid-like priests, but are not literally druids, and so they use the cleric XP chart. Obad-hai's specialty priests are "treated as druids", meaning they are druids (perhaps with a few minor differences), and so use the druid XP chart.

Change what you want though, as the whole 2E priest/cleric/druid sphere system is a wrench in the gears of the classes using them so far as internal class balance is concerned.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 pm  

Honestly, I find the Druid XP tables just absolutely abyssmal, especially as you get up past 8th level or so. I recommend using the Specialty Priest XP table from Demihuman Deities. It has much better progression and isn't just insane at high levels.

Jeff
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Change what you want though, as the whole 2E priest/cleric/druid sphere system is a wrench in the gears of the classes using them so far as internal class balance is concerned.

What do you mean by that?
    GreySage

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:28 am  

I wonder if Cebrion is referencing the Options: Skills & Powers CP costs for the various spell spheres and powers that must be bought between clerics and druids, not to mention weapons/armored allowed, and turning ability. Just a hunch.

I am definitely leaning towards making druids priests for purposes of XP and treating them as clerics who worship either Obad-hai or Beory.

I guess the only logical counter against it is that druids get all sorts of awesome bonus powers/abilities in spite of their limited weapon, armor, and lack of undead turning power when they achieve very high levels that 'regular' clerics do not.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:43 pm  

ragnar wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:

What do you mean by that?

See HERE.

As Lanthorn mentions, yes, I would recommend using the Player's Options: Spells & Magic points buy system for building any sort of divine spell caster just so that there is more consistent internal game balance within/between the divine spell casting classes.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: