ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Vault of the Dracolich in GH - Spoilers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Vault of the Dracolich in GH - Spoilers
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:15 am  
    Vault of the Dracolich in GH - Spoilers

Hi all,

I am planning to run this adventure for my players next week, shifting its location from the FR to GH. It will be played as a single-party dungeon crawl (one group of players will explore the whole dungeon) and not as a massive game that involves multiple groups playing simultaneously, as the module was intended.

The dungeon will be located in or around the Rift Canyon. The temple of Bhaal and the Cult of the Dragon will be replaced by the priesthood of Nerull, while the dracolich Dretchroyaster will be Dragotha. They have acquired the Diamond Staff artifact and are manipulating its power with Oerthblood (the earth node magic in the module) to revive Dragotha (in my Age of Worms campaign, he was killed by the PCs). At the finale of the adventure, the PCs will be confronted by a weaker version of the dracolich, who has not yet regained his full strength.

I don't plan a Kyuss tie-in, we had our fill of him and his servants in AoW. As Kyuss had connections to Nerull as a mortal I felt the Reaper makes a good fit. Part of this adventure serves as a platform for my players to have some direct involvement in shaping GH for our 5e game: either Dragotha will return as a serious menace or he will be thwarted by the PCs.

One thing I haven't resolved yet is the Diamond Staff artifact. In FR it serves as a key to an ancient vault that contains lost elven magic and lore. I like this idea, so I'm trying to come up with a GH equivalent but my olven lore is a bit sketchy. Are there any lost elven vaults in GH? If not, any ideas which would make a good substitute?

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks.
    GreySage

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 pm  

There were five great elven cities in the Flanaess, if I recall correctly, though I can't point you to the reference. I believe Tostenca, in the Griff Mountains, was the last one to fall and the only one who's location is (semi) known.

You could always make the Diamond Staff linked to an ancient elven location in the Fellreev Forest to the north of the Rift Canyon.

SirXaris

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:28 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    There were five great elven cities in the Flanaess, if I recall correctly, though I can't point you to the reference. I believe Tostenca, in the Griff Mountains, was the last one to fall and the only one who's location is (semi) known.

You could always make the Diamond Staff linked to an ancient elven location in the Fellreev Forest to the north of the Rift Canyon.

SirXaris
    Tostenhca, also known as Skrellingshald, was primarily a human settlement in ancient times ruled by the evil wizard Keraptis, SirXaris. But your reference to the great elven cities jarred my memory of the City Of Summer Stars from the Ivid the Undying source book, don't know how I forgot about it considering its one of my favorite GH resources. I'm going to read up on it again, but it should work well as a connection to the Diamond Staff. Thanks for your help!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: