Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hello
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Hello
    Novice

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:58 am  
    Hello

Hello!

I purchased last week the pdfs of World of Greyhawk, From the Ashes, and the Adventure Begins, in the drivethru site, and they have been my first contact with Greyhawk. And now I'm here triying to learn all I can about it. I have heard a lot of good things about this site!
    What are the best sources of lore about the world?

Hugo
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 am  

Welcome to Greyhawk! Happy

The sources you have are a very good start. I would recommend getting the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, which is similar to the World of Greyhawk boxed set, but even further fleshed out. I also recommend The City of Greyhawk boxed set, The Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz the Evil, The Marklands, and Ivid the Undying. Other than that, there is simply a ton of material to dig through on the site, namely in the Articles and Downloads sections (see the top navigation bar) and the forums themselves. Additional information about Greyhawk, this site, and some other things can be found HERE.

Also, please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Welcome aboard! Happy

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:00 am  

Thanks!
    I believe that I can purchase all of them in PDF, only the city box is not in the store. I have the Temple of Elemental Evil, too, I think that I will use it in my game, to start playing here (We play 2e, but untill now in Forgotten Reamls)
    I look into the Gazetter, usually using things from 3e has been more or less easy.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm  

-Welcome!

ObsidianMage wrote:
    Thanks!
    I believe that I can purchase all of them in PDF, only the city box is not in the store...

There's always Amazon. Wink

By "World of Greyhawk", I assume you mean theWorld of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting box set is always the first source to start with.

After that, pick a place and time period to start. That will narrow things down a bit. Since you already have TofEE, you might focus on the Viscounty of Verbobonc, the Welkwood, and the Gnarley Forest. The From the Ashes has a lot on those post 584 CY.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:25 pm  

Welcome ObsidianMage. I am suspicious your comment about playing 2e will conjure up the creature known as Lanthorn.

I also play 2e with my friends and we have a ball with it.
    Novice

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:24 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -Welcome!

There's always Amazon. Wink

By "World of Greyhawk", I assume you mean theWorld of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting box set is always the first source to start with.

After that, pick a place and time period to start. That will narrow things down a bit. Since you already have TofEE, you might focus on the Viscounty of Verbobonc, the Welkwood, and the Gnarley Forest. The From the Ashes has a lot on those post 584 CY.

Hello!
    Yes, the World of Greyhawk Setting Box. It was my first purchase.
    Sadly, the prices of the City Box are a little high for me in Amazon and Ebay now. Sad

The area of the ToEE looks more or less near an important city, and wilderness areas. Looks like a good place to start. We will see where they go from there, my players like to explore.
    We will play post wars, in the Adventure Begins timeline. (and I can use the LGG, which I bought yesterday)
    Yes, we still play 2e, it's our favorite version of D&D. Sadly we have less time to play now Confused

Hugo
    GreySage

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm  

Sheepdog wrote:
    Welcome ObsidianMage. I am suspicious your comment about playing 2e will conjure up the creature known as Lanthorn.

POOF!!!!

You rang...? Laughing

-The Creature Currently Known as Lanthorn, Disciple of 2e Wink

fyi, I agree with the aforementioned sources, but find From the Ashes, the original boxed set, and The City of Greyhawk (but only if you are playing in that city or surrounding region) boxed set to be of great value.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm  

Welcome ObsidianMage! I think you'll quickly discover that playing in the World of Greyhawk will give you and your players almost unlimited areas and ideas to explore. As far as sources, I agree with all the sources already mentioned, but would also add the sourcebook Slavers and Rary the Traitor as well. Slavers has tons of information about areas, people, and events in the central Flanaess that will give you numerous opportunities for gameplay. Rary the Traitor has lots of similar information as well as new information on areas like the Bright Desert and the Abor-Alz mountains, which offer interesting opportunities too. I don't think Slavers is available yet through the drive thru site, but Rary the Traitor is on there.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:48 am  

xo42 wrote:
    ...I think you'll quickly discover that playing in the World of Greyhawk will give you and your players almost unlimited areas and ideas to explore...

-No argument there. I just thought it would help to narrow things down a bit. Otherwise, he'd be wallowing in potential source material. I figure he'll have time to branch out. Laughing

I never noticed the "Ft. Irwin" below your avatar. I have this for you under my list of Canonfire posters:

xo42: 1st Cavalry Division (Tanker).

Change to OPFOR? Wink

Enjoy your nice long drive to Barstow. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:48 am  

jamesdglick wrote:

I never noticed the "Ft. Irwin" below your avatar. I have this for you under my list of Canonfire posters:

xo42: 1st Cavalry Division (Tanker).

Change to OPFOR? Wink

Enjoy your nice long drive to Barstow. Laughing

Yes I'm in beautiful Fort Irwin, armpit of the universe ;) When I joined Canonfire I was in 1st Cav and spent several years and deployments with them, but I came out to CA in 2013. I'm actually an OC out here, but I work with the OPFOR a lot of course. I certainly won't miss the drive to Barstow if we ever get out of here. I see you're at Campbell or at least close. You still in?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:33 pm  

xo42 wrote:
    ... I'm actually an OC out here...

-Ahh! I should have thought of that.

xo42 wrote:
    ... I see you're at Campbell or at least close. You still in?

-Long story, but I was in the 101st ABN 1999-2000, got out, joined the USNR, and retired with 23 years. If WWIII breaks out, they can can me back. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-Long story, but I was in the 101st ABN 1999-2000, got out, joined the USNR, and retired with 23 years. If WWIII breaks out, they can can me back. Wink

Ok cool. Sounds like a unique career indeed. If I ever make it out your way I'll send you a line.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:59 am  

xo42 wrote:

...Sounds like a unique career indeed...

-Hee hee hee! Wink Laughing Evil Grin
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:52 pm  

Sheepdog wrote:

I also play 2e with my friends and we have a ball with it.

You know Lanthorn's not the ONLY 2nd ed holdout! :)
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:01 pm  

Sorry Ragnar. You are correct. I just seems anytime someone mentions 2e, Lanthorn pops into the scene.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: