JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Quag's Keep
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Quag's Keep
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:41 am  
    Quag's Keep

I know that Andre Norton wrote a book set in Greyhawk called Quag's Keep. I don't know much else about it. Please enlighten me. What's the synopsis? When did it take place? Where did it take place? Who are the major players? Was it a good read? Anything will due.

Thanks for any aid you can provide.

Z
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:44 pm  
    Norton's Quag

This book came out in 1979, and basically traces the adventures of a group of gamers who are pulled into "Greyhawk" by figures and then who had their actions determined once therein by dice bracelets. The goal of the adventurers is to ultimately find out 1) if they can return home, and 2) if they can find the party(ies) responsible for the manufacture and distribution of the dice (and for what reason they are being distributed, if possible) but the entire adventure takes place in the Greyhawk World.

Among my favorite parts of the book is the treatment of characters...there is a lycanthropic wereboar berserker, a female fighter or ranger from a fighting sorority who also has some magical ability. a bard, a swordsman, a priest, an elf, and a lizardman. Oh, and evil druids. These characters all pushed the edge of character possibility at the time for D&D.

While this book is not a "masterpiece" by any stretch, it was the first Greyhawk Novel, and it (for the time) had some interesting insights and departures from standard 1st ed. Don't look for good plot or character development (keep in mind that Fantasy novels, except for a very, very few averaged less than 200 pages in the 70's), but, despite these shortcomings, It is still superior to Rose's later attempts! I haven't read thebook in years, but since you've brought it up, I think I might give it a quick read!

Steve
    CF Admin

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:50 pm  

Erik Mona wrote up a summary/analysis of Quag Keep on his old Council of GH site at http://www.tc.umn.edu/~monax002/Council/resources/novels/loreqk.html

It's definitely worth reading to mine for details!

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:40 am  

A long long time ago I had a chance to check that book out when it was in the junior high library. I haven't seen it since. If I knew then what I know now...

Confused
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:22 am  

Sould be easily availble from half.com for under $ 5.

Here`s an item description (incl back cover blurp) that i saved from an ebay auction of it:

Quag Keep
    by Andre Norton
    DAW SF Books 1978

"Do you like war games? Can you believe playing pieces might come alive? Adventure is the keynote offered in this scientific fantasy where the imaginary becomes real.

"Six road companions travel under a wizards geas to encounter and destroy unknown evil. Descriptive delineation, action and special powers hold the identifying reader in the company of elf Ingrge, bard Wymarc, cleric Deav Dyne, swordsman Milo Jagan, lizardman Gulth, pseudo-dragon Afreeta, berserker Naile Fangtooth, and battlemaid Yevele.

"Go to the sign of Marvel's Axe, a dubious inn on the edge of the Thieves' Quarter, in the City of Greyhawk, and look to your wrist. If you perceive a bracelet and dangling dice, watch for the next throw in the war between Law and Chaos and be prepared to follow the compelling geas.

"A good book for anyone who can experience this strong pull of fantasy."
    -Signal (International Reading Association)

NEVER BEFORE IN PAPERBACK

"Fantasy lovers will relish Norton's latest"
    -A.L.A. Booklist

COMMENTS:
    It has a great Grey feel, interesting characters and good writing in opposite to some of the newer GH novels. Now don't be expecting great GH revelations; there's not one GH personage in this book and yet it doesn't violate GH canon. It's just a good book set in the World of Greyhawk. 192 pages of fine fantasy adventure.

The Gord book are of course better!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:57 am  

I did not want to say anything until it was up but it is now. My "Lords of Geometry" topical submission on the home page takes from Quag Keep, as well as Tzelios' Platonic Solids. In Quag Keep, the wizard Hystapes gives the PCs bracelets with little dice on them - platonic solids. This is where I think Tzelios and I were both coming from. He was there first.

GVD
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: