ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - NPCs from My Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    NPCs from My Campaign
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 am  
    NPCs from My Campaign

NPC - Ozet - Star Flower - Tiger Nomad

Ozet (or Star Flower) is a Wind Daughter, she is both shaman and warrior among all the tribes of the Tiger Nomads. One thousand woman horse-archers are hers to command and she rides the lands of her people searching out their enemies and hunts them down.

The Wind Daughters settle disputes among the Tiger Nomads, exile or kill criminals, hunt monsters and generally act as judge, jury and executioner. They do not raid but remain always within the boundaries set by the tribes as the lands of the Tiger Nomads. They will stop strangers and bring them before the Tribal Leaders for judgement.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 am  

Sarnai - Golden Flower - Tiger Nomad

Sarnai is the leader of the Kral Olo or Curse Finders. She hunts magic that would harm the Tiger Nomads. Many an agent of Iuz and the Horned Society have been revealed by the Kral Olo but also creatures and items that have been brought to Tiger Nomad lands. Some ancient places are marked as forbidden by the Curse Finders and some spots are protected as sacred.

There are 1,000 members of the Kral Olo, a holy number, among the Tiger Nomads.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:34 pm  

Amaris - Half-Elf -Cleric/Ranger Str 13/ Wis 17/ Dex 17

Amaris was brought up on the outskirts of Greyhawk with no memory of her parents. She was found wandering along the edges of the Gnarley Forest by a hunter and was raised among his own large brood of children. Her Half-elven heritage was readily apparent but whether it was her mother or her father who was the human was unknown. The elves of Celene and their kin would not acknowledge her and no one in the area north and east of the Gnarley knew where she had come from.

Her adopted father Calder at first took no more interest in her than his other numerous children but soon her natural ability at woodscraft and her skill with the bow made her his constant companion. With Calder's son Jerek and his daughter Caren, both older than Amaris, he hunted up and down the east of the Gnarley and sold his pelts, smoked meats and exotic catches to buyers in the City of Greyhawk itself. It was there that Amaris became devotee of the Wandering God Fharlanghn.

For many years Amaris wandered the Gnarly Forest and the Welkwood increasing her skills as a ranger and practicing her faith among those that needed the God's bounty. She became a companion to a Half-Elf druid who had a grove in the northern Welkwood but on his death at the hands of a group of mercenaries in the service of the Elder Elemental God she began to devote herself to hunting all such down.

While Amaris will still help those in need, especially wanderers, she is now found more often on quests involving the death of cultist, brigands and rogues or the despoiling of their places of power or worship. She turns to her bow more often than her prayers to Fharlanghn and is much distrusting and wary than her younger self would ever have imagined.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:34 am  

NPC - Rusty

Outwardly Rusty is a typical Rust Monster but in actuality he was a skilled blacksmith who ran afoul of a powerful Sorceror with an ironic sense of humor. He has the normal abilities of a Rust Monster but the mind of the man he once was. The Wizard Talberth discovered him held in a cage of bone in the caverns of the Drow but was unable to dispel the powerful enchantment. Currently Rusty helps to guard the Wizard's mansion in the town of Hochoch but slowly the mind of the man is disappearing leaving only a fading memory in the body of the monster.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:52 pm  

I really enjoyed these. I love reading about characters, specifically character backgrounds tied to the WoG. I'm a little surprised this isn't a whole lot more of that. I could easily imagine a repository of NPC characters created by the WoG community and listed by race, alignment, level and location etc.

Then you could search it for NPCs to insert into your campaign or browse it for inspiration.

I really liked you first three characters especially.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 pm  

Phalastar wrote:
    I really enjoyed these. I love reading about characters, specifically character backgrounds tied to the WoG. I'm a little surprised this isn't a whole lot more of that. I could easily imagine a repository of NPC characters created by the WoG community and listed by race, alignment, level and location etc.

Then you could search it for NPCs to insert into your campaign or browse it for inspiration.

I really liked you first three characters especially.

I think I have about a hundred done on my blog and I need to start doing some new ones. You can find more of my recent NPCs in my Spinecastle thread here.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 pm  

Masilda the Rhennee Seeress and the Werewolf King

The barges of the Rhennee are ubiquitous along the Velverdyva and among them is perhaps no figure of more renown then Masilda. Her powers of divination are sought by merchants, princes, soldiers, sailors and adventurers of every hue. But her abilities come at a price for her visions show a true fate, most often dark and unavoidable
    The path of the Ranger-Lord, Lokanth, of the Gnarley Forest whose destiny it was to inherit the mantle of the Werewolf King allowed for no alteration despite the visions and warnings of Masilda.

The dark and misted woods of the Gnarley hold terrors and secrets within their borders that are older than the coming of men to the Flanaess. Rangers watch the edges of these thick-forested valleys and thorn choked groves but within them time itself twists and turns among the ancient trees and most who enter never return. Lokanth lost his son to such a malignant section of wood along the northern run of the Gnarley, Wer-haunted and legendary among the rangers and the elves. In his desperation he sought the vision of Masilda and her words brought him no surcease only the telling of his fate which could not be changed.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:39 am  

The High Priestess of Istus has no name. She has become the living voice of the Goddess. Her clergy wanders not only the Baklunish lands and the Flanaess but also all lands that can be reached where those who would learn of their fate wish to hear the words of the Goddess.

In Ekbir the cult of Istus is very powerful, though at times they have been outlawed, hunted and driven into the shadows. It is in Ekbir that the house of Istus stands. Greater temples in size and splendor exist, and temples much, much older, but here is the chair of the high priestess, the wheel of fate behind her. The clerics and seers and prophets wander, but the High Priestess does not and the powerful and the rich and the great come to her.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:18 am  

Madame Sartenna

Madame Sartenna runs a very expensive and exclusive brothel in the Nobles Quarter of the City of Greyhawk. unbenowest to the outside world she is aa powerful necromancer and her six ladies of the night are apprentices. Not all who enter the doors of her establishment leave. In the sewers beneath her mansion are a growing number of undead. While she calls herself Rima Sartenna now her real name is Aggleroot Wortstinger.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:44 pm  

Khelaret is of Madame Sartenna's 'Ladies'. She is of half-elven blood and Sartenna's second apprentice. She is more inclined to witchcraft than necromancy and having skills in both has proven helpful to Madame Sartenna.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:35 pm  
    Z'Lee and Ketch

Z'Lee and Ketch

Z'lee and Ketch come from a small tribe of lizardmen who share a community with the people of Saltmarsh, a prosperous port-town that has benifited enormously from this alliance. The pair had barely grown their first legs when adventurers raided their caves and only the actions of a druidess in the party saved the tribe and the town of Saltmarsh from disaster. The tribe, called 'Yellow-bellies' by humans not of the community, has grown very large and Z'lee and Ketch led an expedition in search of a possible colony site. The pair have been half-raised by humans and adventurers in particular and both possess the skills of low-level rangers rather than just those of lizardmen their age.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:28 pm  

Groth

Groth is a sub-chieftain from an Orcish tribe in Drachensgrab Hills. Dark things are afoot in the hills and Groth's tribe, The Blooddrinkers, has come under the influence of an unsavory necromancer. Under the tutelage of the necromancers fighter guardsmen Groth is now a 5th level fighter. He wears a suit of +2 Banded Mail, carries a shield that gives his followers +1 to hit if they are within a 30ft radius of Groth while he carries the shield openly on his arm and a -1 to hit to all enemies withina 30ft radiusne.. His mace is an unholy weapon that causes an extra d6 damage to clerics and paladins and is +2 to hit and damage

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:44 pm  

Krellk & Slather

Krellk is a Goblin chieftain of a large tribeof Wolf-riding goblins that raid along the Wild Coast. Aided by their viscious steed-allies they are a force to be recogened with even among the orcs and smaller Gnoll tribes of the area. Killk and his riders have slain many a human and even the occasional ogre due to their unnusual ferocity and tactics. All of Killk's goblins have become proficient with the short bow and will only close after their arrows have heavily cut down the numbers of their foes or wounded them.Krillk uses his mobility and numbers to very good effect, always scouting and patrolling while withdrawing if the odds are not i his favor.
    GreySage

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:28 pm  

These are interesting NPCs, which I may steal for my own campaigns. Happy

Please edit this bit about Groth:
    "...carries a shield that gives his followers +1 to hit if they are within a 30ft radius of Groth while he carries the shield openly on his arm and a -1 to hit to all enemies withina 30ft radiusne.. "

I think you mean that it gives his enemies a -1 'to hit' when within 30'...

And, you spelled Krellk/Killk two different ways. Wink

Thanks for sharing! Smile

SirXaris

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:49 am  

Mi'Kraw

In the Pomarj hills a gathering of Goblin shamans from many tribes has occurred and a supreme shaman has been chosen. Mi'Kraw once of the small, and now extinct, Blisterfoot tribe. He has power beyond the reckoning of any Goblin wielding his spells as a 9th level cleric. His skull totem allows him to raise zombies and animate skeletons. Ghouls fear him and obey his commands while stroner undead are loathe to challenge him or remain in nthe resence of his skull totem. He bears a sword called 'Frostblade" which is +3 to hit and damage and on a natural 20 causes 2d6 ice damage extra. He wears several protective chatrms and amulets and the skull of a demon as a helmet. The demon skull protects him from charms and fire damage.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:37 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    These are interesting NPCs, which I may steal for my own campaigns. Happy

Please edit this bit about Groth:
    "...carries a shield that gives his followers +1 to hit if they are within a 30ft radius of Groth while he carries the shield openly on his arm and a -1 to hit to all enemies withina 30ft radiusne.. "

I think you mean that it gives his enemies a -1 'to hit' when within 30'...

And, you spelled Krellk/Killk two different ways. Wink

Thanks for sharing! Smile

SirXaris

Thanks! I need to update and revise most of these.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:44 am  

Snakelegs

Snakelegs is one of the brood of Snakebiter Chieftain of the Snakebiter tribe. This large orc tribe numbers close to a thousand and are the largest and most powerful tribe in the high northern hills of the Principality of Ulek.

Snakelegs is amazingly strong and wields an ancient orcish stone mace. It adds 4 points to a orcs strength and is a + 2 to hit +6 to damage. Snakelegs wields a necklace of Ogre teeth that act as an amulet of +2 protection +4 versus Ogres. His Hide armor is normal smelly badly cured wild boar while his shield causes a -1 to hit to any enemy viewing it.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:40 am  

Weems Half-Elven

Weems was born and bred in the City of Greyhawk. His mother was an elven maiden, enslaved, who caught the eye of a master thief who stole her and rescued her from the hiring market (a half truth as a good amount of those hired end up nearly as slaves and the rest are simply slaves no matter what piece of parchment their owners hold which may say differently). From his father he learned the thieving skills and his an excellent burgler, lockpicker and disarmer of traps. He has a fondness for Druid's Weed, a mild hallucinogen which he smokes in dreamy melancholy lethargy

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:18 am  

Hinchcliffe's Band - Ram-Man

The wizard Hunchcliffe is a proud alumni of the Grey College and an experimentor in mutations. The Ram-Man were his most successful experiments. These 3hd monsters are as intelligent as most peasants but more tractable. They disdain armor (mainly because Hinchcliffe hasn't bought them any and favor shields. Their flesh is tough and resiliant giving them a natural AC6 with shield it is AC5. Thery have a 50% resistance to magic and are immune to charm and mind control, Hinchcliffe has armed them with axes, morningstars and spears (which they throw fairly well). The are voracious eaters. So far they have all proven sterile and are only produced in the flesh-vats beneath the hidden hill Hinchcliffe calls home.

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:51 am  

Hinchcliffe the Wizard

Hinchcliffe has always had a thing for hats but very poor taste. He was a promising student of the Grey College in the City of Greyhawk and chose the life of an adventurer rather than as an academic. he and his companions were monstrously successful in their adventures and Hinchcliffe retired to a ruined tower in the foothills of the Griff mountains to pursue experiments in the creation of monsters and creatures of the flesh. He is best known for his Ram-Men that have helped him carve out a small domain among the monstrous north of that region though the location of his tower and the ever growing dungeons beneath is known only to a few.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:48 pm  

Hinchcliffe and his Ram-Men sound interesting, but 50% magi resistance seems over the top.

SirXaris

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:57 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Hinchcliffe and his Ram-Men sound interesting, but 50% magi resistance seems over the top.

SirXaris

It makes them much more useful in mid to high level adventures when magic and area-effect spells flow more freely.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:19 pm  

Ringfinger the Mage

Ringfinger has taken enough lip from this magic mouth.

His family were mild nobility from Rel Astra but fled to the Grandwood Forest and he was raised among the Freefolk. From childhood his life was one of adventure, He became apprentice to a mage known for the crafting of minor items of magical power and spent years assisting in the enchantment of rings. He wears three enchanted rings upon each finger, each balanced in their magick to not interfere with the power of each other. As Ringfingers own power grew so did the enchantments he cast upon the rings he crafted. One allows him to fall as a feather, another to disintegrate matter, another to send a bolt of lightning, another to render himself invisible should the need arise. It is said he has crafted rings for all the spells he has learned but only he knows if that is true.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:47 pm  

The God-Queen Neferu of Zeif

Before the Rain of Colorless Fire and the Invoked Devestation laid waste to the Suel and the Baklunish, there was a mighty dynasty in the west The ruling families were of great power and were worshipped as Gods but they were a divided lot and warred upon each other as the warred upon their chief rival the Suel Imperium. One of the lesser members of this dynastic family was Neferu. Her father ruled over the province of Zeif while she reined as the queen of air and fire in the great temple. The Invoked Devastation buried temple and turned the green land around it to Djinn cursed sand. Only recently have the doors to the inner chamber been found and opened and it is said Neferu walks again, much to the concern of Zeif's Sultan.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 pm  

Agis-Snel the Sage

Soothsayers are easy to find but an honest and trustworthy Sage of experience and ability is a rare treasure. As Agis-Snel says, "A good Sage is not cheap and a cheap Sage is not good. Agis is very good indeed and very expensive. He also keeps secrets at no extra charge.

Snel was born in Verbobonc but apprenticed to a Scholar in the City of Greyhawk. It was there amid the ancient tomes and current bustle of the city that he learned his craft and gained his reputation. An older man now, he has returned to Verbobonc and practices a limited consultation for high fees, but is said to be worth every copper he charges by his surviving customers.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:53 pm  

Bhionn the Half-Drow

During the giant's invasion of Geoff it was found that the Drow were actually the masterminds behind the attacks. Many slaves were taken to the underoerth to serve the Drow and Bhionn's mother was one such captive. A Drow matron raised several of the resulting half-breeds and Bhionn became a sorceress in the service of Elemntal Evil in opposition to Lolth. She has no difficulty with sunlight though her unnaturally pale flesh shows the heritage of her Drow father.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:13 am  

Albrecht the Bearded and his Imp Familiar Xertur

Albrecht,seen here casting a minor spell to protect himself from incoming missiles, was an adventurer of some repute from the County of Sunndi, but suffered a complete personality change as the sole survivor to an expedition to the Vast Swamp.

After disappearing for a number of years he was reported as having established a small stronghold amid the Orc tribes of the Pomarj accompanied now by an Imp familiar named Xertur of unsavory repute.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: