Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:39 am
by David Leonard
Ratik is nation for DMs who want to place a campaign on the frontier. Those wishing a Celtic or Viking game will be well suited to campaigning here. It is long and narrow, caught between mountains and the sea. It’s an embattled nation, once besieged by Suel Barbarians, it now threatened by orcs and gnolls. It is where most of the Knights Protectors fled to after the fall of the Bone March. It is the youngest of nations, colonized by the once Great Kingdom. Its south mirrors the best of the Kingdom’s qualities: settled, civilized, nautical and pastoral. Its north is the frontier, less than a century old, where forestry and mining are more common. The north is independent of mind, if not of means. The south is Oeridian, the north Suel, with Flan and the Old Faith scattered throughout.
Great inspiration for this area can be found in: the Mabínogíon, Beowulf, the Kalevala, Nibelungenlied, Robin of Sherwood (TV), The Last King (TV), Vikings (TV), and The Eagle (film).
Country specific resources:
Dragon magazine #57
WGS1 The Five Shall Be One; WGS2 Howl From the North (for the Barbarians)
Adventures in the country include:
- B1 In Search of the Unknown (in the monochrome edition) was originally suggested as located in Ratik- thus B2 Keep on the Borderland would fit here as well.
- Alternate location for G1-3, D1-3
- Adventures in the Timberway Forest and the Rakers and Griff mountains.
- Intrigue in Marner and Ratikhill.
- Border skirmishes with the Bone March and the Kelten Pass.
- Fey fading lands.
- Ruins of the Ur-Flan from the time of Keraptis.
Adventures in nearby areas include:
- WGS1 The Five Shall Be One; WGS2 Howl From the North; RPGA The Fright at Tristor; OJ#3 A Slight Diversion; WG08a, The Sage’s Tower; WG08e, Service for the Dead; The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga; C13 From His Cold, Dead Hands, by Carlos Lising, casl Entertainment, 2019
- There is intrigue, negotiations with Barbarian tribes.
- Espionage by the Scarlet Brotherhood.
- Potential dungeon delve into Skrellingshald (Tostencha).
- Trade expeditions to The Sea Princes and the North Province.
- The search for and discovery of Fireland, and the arrival of a ship from Fireland.
The few dungeons to be explored are constructed by the Ur-Flan, and abandoned dwarven cities.
Lovecraftian adventures can be pursued here. What horrors did the Ur-Flan pursue? Rogahn (likely Flan) and Zelligar (a Suel name) from B1 were seduced by the evils they discovered.
Richard Di Ioia (aka Longetalos)
Last edited by Longetalos on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total