Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:33 am
Campaigning in this country is for those who want to experience clandestine adventures and operating “behind enemy lines”. The Pomarj is a lawless peninsula overrun by humanoids decades ago which fled here after the Hateful Wars in the Lortmils. This land was eventually dominated by the Orcish Empire of the Pomarj, from which it invades Ulek and the Wild Coast. Adventurers operating in the Pomarj must be brave and resourceful. They will not be operating in a friendly country with the usual support and resources. They will usually be masquerading as mercenaries undercover, or conducting operations in the wilds far from civilization.
Country specific resources:
“Scourge of the Slavelords” (A1-4) module by TSR.
“Slavers” by WotC - a great sourcebook on the Pomarj.
“Artifact of Evil” novel by Gygax G (TSR) - the early chapters of the novel about Gord the Rogue deal with an Ulek invasion of Pomarj.
"See the Pomarj -- and Die!" in Dragon #167 by Bloch, Joseph.
Adventures in this country include:
- The campaigns contained in A1-4 and “Slavers”, against the Slave Lord operations in the Pomarj.
- Rescue & Salvage: Missions to rescue slaves taken from neighboring lands, or ships and their cargoes taken by pirates operating from the Pomarj.
- Treasure Hunt: The Pomarj was previously a set of petty baronies where the castles, ruins and temples there may still hide artifacts or heirlooms to be found by rumor or on commission.
- The King is Dead: Killing Turrosh Mak should bring the Empire down.
- Slay the Dragon: The ancient cult of the Earth Dragon now supports Turrosh Mak. Damaging its church and power might damage him. The priests of the orc god, Grummsh, likely would be happy to (quietly) assist.
- Scarlet Letters: The Pomarj has long been exploited by the Scarlet Brotherhood. Investigating and countering their operations would pit characters against one of the most deadly and cunning secret organizations in the Flanaess!
- Family Feud: Neighboring realms could commission adventurers to stir up trouble amongst the tribes of the Pomarj to distract them from raiding over borders.
Adventures in nearby areas include:
- The Wild Coast: The Coast is a hotbed of adventure and intrigue all on its own.
- Celene: While Queen Yolande’s isolationist policies mean she is unlikely to commission adventures into the Pomarj, some in her court and the Knights of Luna disagree. The Orcish Empire also has no such inclination, and eyes up the wealth and magic of Celene with envy.
- The Suss Forest: This forest provides a virtual highway for raiding humanoids to travel north. The Suss itself contains many monsters and secrets for adventurers to explore.
- Principality of Ulek: The dwarven Prince of Ulek would love to retake the Pomarj, and is a sure source of missions across the border.
- Sea of Gearnat: Maritime adventures can be had combating the slavers and pirates from the Pomarj. Further, the many races and monsters underneath the sea might be courted to provide assistance in the battle against the Pomarj by attacking their ports and ships.
Any campaign featuring foolhardy or rash adventurers rushing into battle will come to a quick and bloody end. However, a creative DM could run years of campaigns in the Pomarj - destroying the Slave Lords, bringing down the Orcish Empire and countering the Scarlet Brotherhood would be the work of years, and heroes, and change the very face of the Flanaess!
Richard Di Ioia (aka Longetalos)